ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #6016
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallycarJon View Post
I am proficient at the last move for sure..... This video is the reason I went with SW Motech crash bars over the competition. They certainly seem to stand up to quite a bit of abuse and offer good protection. Too bad I got them just after I had dropped the bike for the first time.
Don't feel bad. I took mine swimming when it was naked with 150 miles on it. It seems no worse for the wear.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #6017
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhead View Post
Here it is. You can see where I got off center attempting to drill the hole for the ez out.


Got a dremel and freezer space? If so, cut that hole straight across so you can get a flat head on it. Hose it with penatrant. If it gives then, great. If not, freeze it,heat the alum around the bolt and try again.

Or dremel a centerline in it and use a punch to bend the bolt in the holes.

Danjal screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 04:36 PM
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #6018
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,760
Did you start with a hammer and a drift to center the hole before drilling?

Locktite has a product out for stuck bolts that super cools the offender to shrink it and break the bond. I've had successful results with it.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #6019
Mikey Ray
n00b
 
Mikey Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere View Post
that xl600r is nice, miss mine
My brain says thanks, my right leg does not agree.
Mikey Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #6020
hateithere
anytime now
 
hateithere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Rubbercity
Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Ray View Post
My brain says thanks, my right leg does not agree.
mine either, you did'nt hurt yourself on that thing did you?
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #6021
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,349
He didn't hurt himself but he may have a heart attack as the choke lever is broken and it takes about 322 kicks to get it going on a cold day.
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #6022
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,110
Lay it over until it dribbles gas a few seconds then try.

Bing carbs didn't have chokes, just tickle (flood) buttons to hold the float open to flood the motor
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #6023
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Got a dremel and freezer space? If so, cut that hole straight across so you can get a flat head on it. Hose it with penatrant. If it gives then, great. If not, freeze it,heat the alum around the bolt and try again.

Or dremel a centerline in it and use a punch to bend the bolt in the holes.
What kind of penetrant have you got to work with aluminum? I've never had kroil, pb-blaster, or anything else I've tried work when anything non ferrous was involved.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #6024
Mikey Ray
n00b
 
Mikey Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Lay it over until it dribbles gas a few seconds then try.

Bing carbs didn't have chokes, just tickle (flood) buttons to hold the float open to flood the motor
I can try that. I didn't hurt myself and its not that bad to start. It just seems like any throttle input kills it and it does take a few (dozen) kicks to start. After the first start of the day though its fine, one or two kicks and its running. I always hold the kicker all the way down after a kick till it either starts or stops turning though. I don't know if It's true or not but my dad told me this will help prevent being kicked back.
Mikey Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #6025
Danjal
Insert wit here.
 
Danjal's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Location,Location
Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
What kind of penetrant have you got to work with aluminum? I've never had kroil, pb-blaster, or anything else I've tried work when anything non ferrous was involved.
All of the above and a 20 pound sledge for backup. The bolt is ferrous.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #6026
hateithere
anytime now
 
hateithere's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Rubbercity
Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Ray View Post
I can try that. I didn't hurt myself and its not that bad to start. It just seems like any throttle input kills it and it does take a few (dozen) kicks to start. After the first start of the day though its fine, one or two kicks and its running. I always hold the kicker all the way down after a kick till it either starts or stops turning though. I don't know if It's true or not but my dad told me this will help prevent being kicked back.
When I had mine the starting procedure was De-comp to the top of the stroke, no gas choke, one nice kick and it would usually fire right up, any gas an I just let it sit for 10 minutes.I'm not sure i'd hold it all the way down, that's a lot of force coming back up.A good running xl should start fairly easily
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #6027
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Ray View Post
It just seems like any throttle input kills it and it does take a few (dozen) kicks to start. After the first start of the day though its fine, one or two kicks and its running.
Without the choke in this weather it's had to tell but there is a chance that it is lean on the bottom, most XR's are. Maybe next time see you, we can adjust the fuel screw/idle.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #6028
Mikey Ray
n00b
 
Mikey Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Without the choke in this weather it's had to tell but there is a chance that it is lean on the bottom, most XR's are. Maybe next time see you, we can adjust the fuel screw/idle.
Mucho Gracias.
Mikey Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #6029
Mikey Ray
n00b
 
Mikey Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hateithere View Post
When I had mine the starting procedure was De-comp to the top of the stroke, no gas choke, one nice kick and it would usually fire right up, any gas an I just let it sit for 10 minutes.I'm not sure i'd hold it all the way down, that's a lot of force coming back up.A good running xl should start fairly easily
Pretty much this but the choke lever is busted. The kid I bought it from Got it from his uncle and probably didn't put a single cent back in to it. Both tires were trash oil was black ect. I have new tires,oil,handgaurds and bar risers on it. One thing at a time. Oh yeah and I guess if you give a firm kick and hold er down that reduces kickback? Just advice from dad, he used to ride quite a bit but did have a Triumph kick his knee out requiring surgery so who knows.
Mikey Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #6030
mgorman
Crashing since 1964
 
mgorman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Oddometer: 5,110
Just remember, if your knee is locked out at the bottom of the stroke and it kicks back, the force has to go somewhere and if your knee is straight, oops. At least if it is bent a little you'll either smash your knee on the handlebar or your chin.
__________________
Michael

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014