ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #6076
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
This was better then 15 years ago when Mat and I raised too much hell to be legal in 49 states. I think we both have matured slightly since then...

At least I hope so
Eh, I just found productive ways to channel my hooliganism. Just because your gonna go through life as a pain in the ass doesn't mean you can't do some good with it. You just have to find the right ass to be a pain in.

Speaking of, had a rather predictable meeting with ODNR a couple weeks ago. Short version is "situation unchanged". Although they did perk up at the suggestion of putting in a few miles of lower impact single track trail.
muddyrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #6077
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
cochranton

I wondered whatever happened to Cochranton. Figures is was some quad freaks that messed it up. I only had a chance to ride it one year. My already heavy 620 KTM must have had 60 lbs. of mud on it when I got done. Had a great time though, people came from Ontario, New England, Michigan to get in an early season ride. Loved seeing the vintage bikes run it too. I guess it went the way of all fun things that just get too big.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #6078
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,314
Saw the ktm usa racing truck in marengo today. Driver said they're headed southbound. Didn't specify where to exactly,and no, I wasn't allowed to test ride any.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #6079
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post

Speaking of, had a rather predictable meeting with ODNR a couple weeks ago. Short version is "situation unchanged". Although they did perk up at the suggestion of putting in a few miles of lower impact single track trail.
If you really want to get new trails, pitch the idea of MC only single track with restrictions on riding when "unfavorable", like after heavy rain fall or during the wet season. They also need know we will strictly enforce sound regulations. The mtn bikers have made huge progress lately with getting new trails approved by the DNR. I know this because I've been active with some new trail development. This is because 1) volunteers make and maintain the trails and 2) riders respect the trails to stay off them when the terrain is wet enough to cause damage if ridden, and 3) bicycles aren't noisy. Until that model is adopted by us motorcyclists, you can forget about new trails.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #6080
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
If you really want to get new trails, pitch the idea of MC only single track with restrictions on riding when "unfavorable", like after heavy rain fall or during the wet season. They also need know we will strictly enforce sound regulations. The mtn bikers have made huge progress lately with getting new trails approved by the DNR. I know this because I've been active with some new trail development. This is because 1) volunteers make and maintain the trails and 2) riders respect the trails to stay off them when the terrain is wet enough to cause damage if ridden, and 3) bicycles aren't noisy. Until that model is adopted by us motorcyclists, you can forget about new trails.
You do realize you are preaching to the choir right?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #6081
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
The real question is...What can we do to help? Do we need to storm the beaches? Or is there something more mundane that we can do?
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #6082
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
I wondered whatever happened to Cochranton...

As the story goes....

Farmers bitched about the fields being torn up by the riders, even areas where it was roped off, quad riders were out in the fields doing donuts and drag racing so...

The next year they split it up, made it totally clear that if crops and fields were damaged, the farmers were pulling out of the event. The quads went one weekend and the bikes the next. Rumor was there were over 3,000 atv's at the event.

Edit: I found this...

The Daily Times in Erie Pa. reports: The annual off-road motorcycle and ATV charity poker run that turns the small town of Cochranton Pa. into the ATV capitol of the world for one week of each year will not be held in 2002.

Allegheny Highlands board member Fred Neff says: We are taking a year off, and don't know if it will return. The awesome turnout in the last few years have overwhelmed organizers and and it has been very hard to get enough volunteers to put it on. It is a shame because the event put thousands of dollars into the local economy, not to mention the 80,000 dollars that went to charities this year.

Held the first Saturday of April, the ATV event has attracted thousands of riders in recent years, becoming the largest event of its kind in the United States. Major ATV manufactures and trade organizers have signed on as supporters of the event, and participants from across the country and overseas.

This year marked the 12th annual Cochranton Poker Run with just under 7000 registered riders. "It is so big we are running out of help" Neff said. In 1989 there the first run received about 100 bike and ATV entries.

The association was cited in 1999 and 2000 by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat commission for pollution and disturbance of waterways as a result of ATV's riding through streams and waterways. Following the 2000 run, environmental agency's conducted a review and recommended that a more comprehensive permitting process that included a state Department of Environmental Protection review. The association did hire an engineer for the 2001 run. There were no environmental violations this year, but the permit requirements, the trail placement and maintenance, made it a "big hassle" Neff said. If the event comes back, it may be scaled down to reduce the workload, the number of problems, and the number of volunteers needed. Mr. Neff goes on to say: "we figured we would let it go at least a year, and see about bringing it back. We just don't know yet"

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #6083
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
If you really want to get new trails, pitch the idea of MC only single track with restrictions on riding when "unfavorable"...

I did that down at the Burr Oak meeting to the parks and to some newspaper guy but never did hear if he printed it or not.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #6084
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,322
Almost 5 days and no tagging?

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #6085
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
The real question is...What can we do to help? Do we need to storm the beaches? Or is there something more mundane that we can do?
We make progress in small steps. The legislative goal for the 2013-14 general assembly is implementing a grant system for the SRV fund.

There was 2 miles of trail added to Maumee last year, and I continue to hope this year will be the one we get ODNR motivated.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #6086
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
On a 3 digit state route that adds up to 12.
Last tag.

If I'm home at a decent hour tomorrow, I'll grab it.

Danjal screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 07:45 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #6087
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Quote:
Quote:
Are we really the choir? Do we skip the hanging rock ride because the trails are too wet? Do we build bridges to avoid stirring up sediment in creeks with our tires? When water is running down an old county road / creek bed, do we avoid it or splash on through? Are we all running trials tires and avoiding wheelspin? Do we stay off the hill climbs at Perry because they encourage erosion? Sure, we may promote single track, courteous behavior and quiet pipes, but we are a long way from being on the same path as the off road bicyclists.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 AM   #6088
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Are we really the choir? Do we skip the hanging rock ride because the trails are too wet? Do we build bridges to avoid stirring up sediment in creeks with our tires? When water is running down an old county road / creek bed, do we avoid it or splash on through? Are we all running trials tires and avoiding wheelspin? Do we stay off the hill climbs at Perry because they encourage erosion? Sure, we may promote single track, courteous behavior and quiet pipes, but we are a long way from being on the same path as the off road bicyclists.
And how many offroad cyclists would still ride most places after a light rain on the weekend? Or are they so fair weather that most wont ride so mud wont get on their bicycles?

I wonder if giving support to maintain trails would go far for us also.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #6089
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post

Bingo!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #6090
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
And how many offroad cyclists would still ride most places after a light rain on the weekend? Or are they so fair weather that most wont ride so mud wont get on their bicycles?

I wonder if giving support to maintain trails would go far for us also.

It depends on the trail. Some hold up great to rain, some don't and are avoided. West Branch is a local one that doesn't hold up well to rain (the lake side anyways). I rode Beaver Creek in the rain Sunday, but the trail I rode has a shale surface and I didn't even get the bike muddy.