ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #6091
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Are we really the choir? Do we skip the hanging rock ride because the trails are too wet? Do we build bridges to avoid stirring up sediment in creeks with our tires? When water is running down an old county road / creek bed, do we avoid it or splash on through? Are we all running trials tires and avoiding wheelspin? Do we stay off the hill climbs at Perry because they encourage erosion? Sure, we may promote single track, courteous behavior and quiet pipes, but we are a long way from being on the same path as the off road bicyclists.
I think the difference with stream crossings at events like the Hanging Rock is that these trails are on private land, and only see use other than land owners once a year. Most of the routes are actually not used even by the land owners the rest of the year. Even the land owners report that a few weeks after the event you can't tell we were there, and in fact the volunteers have to cut trail every year because sections completely disappear. If these were public trails that were open to traffic all year then yes it would be totally inappropriate.

When I said preaching to the choir I was more referring to the fact that what OhioPT said is exactly what we have been telling ODNR. Low(er) impact trails, close them during wet season or extended rain. I think if ODNR were to offer a plan for 50 miles of single track that was only open for motorized during june-september that the responsible riders would praise the plan.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #6092
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,915
The Allegheny National Forest closes during extreme wet weather, the fall and spring. Only the Rocky Gap trail opens during the winter and that's only if the ground is frozen a few inches deep and mo warm weather on the horizon

Brushy Mountain ORV will not let bikes in when it rains or predicts a high chance during that day and reopens when the trails dry.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #6093
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
The Allegheny National Forest closes during extreme wet weather, the fall and spring. Only the Rocky Gap trail opens during the winter and that's only if the ground is frozen a few inches deep and mo warm weather on the horizon

Brushy Mountain ORV will not let bikes in when it rains or predicts a high chance during that day and reopens when the trails dry.
Exactly, the guidelines and systems are already designed, it's just a matter of getting ODNR to execute.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #6094
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,668
I think the MTB people the above are referring to are those that use the established/public trails/areas. I've happened upon MTB in the woods more than once cutting/riding outlaw trails while on a dirtbike, or hiking. They're trespassing just like me, but they're not making any noise. The few that I've stopped to talk to on the dirtbike were not happy I found their private riding park, but we seem to tolerate each other. They were actually more worried that the quads would find it now that I had. They definitely hid the entrances. These riders were under 30yrs in age, and probably under 20. I'm not a good judge. Maybe MTB people get less tolerant as they age.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #6095
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Chip - your little bit of fame awaits you
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1109
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #6096
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,321
"That guy from ADV (sorry I don't remember your name)."

Priceless

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #6097
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,176
Tag Bayard rd Minerva,oh (looks tons better in the dark BTW) Even got Dustin out to tag along.

New tag

Danjal screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 02:51 PM
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #6098
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Ouch!

That hurts, one in my backyard when I'm stuck staying up north.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #6099
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
Chip - your little bit of fame awaits you
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1109
Hah, Doug is finally getting around to his RR. He does say that he is really bad with names. I had set out with my bag o' tools when I saw him sitting in Madison for so long. When I got to 306 he was rolling again, I suppose I would have missed him altogether if it hadn't been for the clusterfuck on 90. 90 east bound was actually closed twice that day. Those bikes really shouldn't have been on 90 through CleveOh anyway.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #6100
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Hah, Doug is finally getting around to his RR. He does say that he is really bad with names. I had set out with my bag o' tools when I saw him sitting in Madison for so long. When I got to 306 he was rolling again, I suppose I would have missed him altogether if it hadn't been for the clusterfuck on 90. 90 east bound was actually closed twice that day. Those bikes really shouldn't have been on 90 through CleveOh anyway.
Not much of anyone besides evil kenevil should be on any interstate around Cleveland.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #6101
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
That hurts, one in my backyard when I'm stuck staying up north.
Kinda funny you say that... I was going to tag Tom's barn if he was out of town.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #6102
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

The DR looks good although you haven't farkled it much yet.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #6103
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
The DR looks good although you haven't farkled it much yet.
Not yet. I did take a mirror off so it's one step closer. The whole front end is coming off and top of the bike when she's down for winter. Forks,controls,gauges,tank,seat,minor carb adjustments,electrical farkles,and lighting all in one shot... I hope. I still need to figure out what to do with relocation (possibly) of the keyed switch for the ignition and hopefully retaining the triple tree lock,and where to put a 12v powerlet or two at up front.

Also, there's the problem of weight savings for "woods/gravel" mode. I'll probably keep one of 3 seats I have now and the stock tank. Just swap out as needed and remove the rear rack/guards for more weight savings too. 6 bolts only to shave say 30 pounds for woods riding..and all of it up high.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #6104
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

tag

Magnolia Rd 542

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #6105
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock