ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 07:15 AM   #6106
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 1,806
When did you go to the dark side Tom? And where's your required milk crate for that rig?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #6107
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,479
Yeah, I'm dying to know why you parted with the Tiger since I am leaning that way.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #6108
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,284
Yes, I traded in the Tiger on a 2013 KLR. The Tiger is great on the highway, really a sport touring bike dressed as an adventure bike. The weight is very high and I struggled to get it in and out of my barn.
I just don't have the strength to wrestle that kind of weight around anymore. And, I usually only keep them about a year. 13,300 miles on the Tiger. I went to Mathias first to get a Sertao, they weren't interested in the Tiger. Went to Apex and they were ready to cut me a check for the difference.
After riding Gormans 950ADV, I realized what a difference there was between that and the Triumph.
I will keep this until next fall and probably get a news 990ADV.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #6109
Mikey Ray
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Lay it over until it dribbles gas a few seconds then try.

Bing carbs didn't have chokes, just tickle (flood) buttons to hold the float open to flood the motor
What a great idea. It didn't fire immediately but after the first kick I get signs of life and altogether effort to start has been reduced by half. Thank you.
And for what it's worth i think Tom's Klr is a lot more suited to the riding he or we tend to do. His Tiger honestl scared me and I'm a big dude.
Mikey Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #6110
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 1,806
Just why a klr out of all the 650 ds bikes? Unless its for light offroad and gravel. Before I got the Dr,I saw the klr was too much of a pig for what I wanted - 50/50. Whats the planned use Tom? Just curious. And if you don't mind me asking, how much did they give you,and what led to this decision?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #6111
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Well, I plan on a lot of long trips starting after the holidays. Of course, I have the DRZ for the dirty stuff so the KLR will be getting lots of miles. I am in New Philly right now, picked up a 16 tooth CS, tank bag, tail bag, Moose skid plate and Rox Risers. Barn night. Beautiful day for riding, btw.

I would like to try all the dual sports eventually, if Mathias would have dealt I would probably be on a BMW right now.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #6112
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Yes, I traded in the Tiger on a 2013 KLR. The Tiger is great on the highway, really a sport touring bike dressed as an adventure bike. The weight is very high and I struggled to get it in and out of my barn.
I just don't have the strength to wrestle that kind of weight around anymore. And, I usually only keep them about a year. 13,300 miles on the Tiger. I went to Mathias first to get a Sertao, they weren't interested in the Tiger. Went to Apex and they were ready to cut me a check for the difference.
After riding Gormans 950ADV, I realized what a difference there was between that and the Triumph.
I will keep this until next fall and probably get a news 990ADV.
Sounds like a well thought out plan. I'm looking at it for a good bike for light adv touring with a passenger. I do not want to go as big as any of the 1200 class bikes, but the Tiger seems like a good fit. Thought about a Strom, even with the 650 v-twin it seems like enough bike for what I want. But they just don't turn me on, except the new 2012 which I like a lot. My other requirement if I went Strom is I want wire wheels, and by the time I invest in a set from Woodies the Strom just became almost the same price as the Tiger.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #6113
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

The XC ABS is a big fast bike and with your experience it may be perfect. I would have let you ride it if I had known you were shopping.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #6114
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
The XC ABS is a big fast bike and with your experience it may be perfect. I would have let you ride it if I had known you were shopping.
Appreciate it, but I'm a long way off still. Had a guy in Washington that was willing to trade even up for his Moto Guzzi Quota. Kinda worn out on weird bikes though, which is one redeaming quality of the Strom, simple to maintain. I do tires, oil changes, brakes and chains on a couple every summer and they are nice and simple.

Gotta say though, the new V-Strom is a sweet looking bike. They have (3) 2012 models at All Ohio with Suzuki branded hard cases and engine guards for under 10k. I don't know if that's a particularly good price on that bike, but for what you are getting it's a good package.

But I still come back to the Tiger. I know, I said I didn't want another weird bike, but from what I've read they are rather trouble free and easy to work on.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #6115
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Magnolia Rd 542
I had a feeling you were going to get a KLR from your comments but didn't think you would get rid of the Tiger. I still have the required tools to replace the doohickey if you need to borrow. Not sure what else I have left in the attic but I'll check.

I thought they had a 16T CS stock?

Enjoy the new ride!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #6116
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,877
Congrats, I guess. Hope you are pleased with your decision. Personally not my cup of tea (I've owned 4 KLRs) but then again, it ain't me who's riding it.

FYI All Seasons has a Serato in stock and when I was looking at bikes in Sept it was at a considerable discount... I want to say $7500...? It was only like 1k off a new KLR.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM   #6117
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Triple black!!! That would be great if I could borrow the doohickey tools. Save some cash. Really appreciate it.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #6118
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

You had four KLR's. Must have been something you liked there. I'll have fun with it for a while then move on.

Still Riff Raff
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #6119
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 9,877
Quote:
You had four KLR's. Must have been something you liked there. I'll have fun with it for a while then move on.
I guess the best way to sum it up is that I like the idea of the KLR, just not the execution of it.

I also have a short memory and a pair of rose colored glasses mounted to my rearview. This last time, after my brand new '09 was in the shop 3 times in the first month for electrical gremlins and Meredith's used '08 was burning oil like it was a pissed off Iraqi, I wrote myself a note: "Don't ever buy a Kawasaki again".

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #6120
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

You have a way with words. I will probably learn the hard way, won't be the first time.

Still Riff Raff