ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #6406
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,150
Forgot the $12 ebay cafe rear fender.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #6407
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Tell me more about these buckets. Can they be tipped on their side? Do they have lids? Can we paint one ace hardware royal blue? Removable handle? After its painted do you have a NOS Suzuki logo? I'm thinking we could call it the adventure bucket. KLR riders and their non waterproof milk crates, ha.
For that I would recommend the kitty litter buckets, the have lids, they have a removeable hande, would fit better on a rear rack, come in two heights, and feature a pretty close DRZ400 yellow color match!!!!!!!

Not to sound like a jerk cause, I really do like most of the people that come into the shop, but I have some pretty funny stories, about people and thier bobberchoppercafe projects.
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #6408
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
Genuine real authentic imitation carbon fiber barkbusters.
3x3 mod, jet kit, manual cam chain tensioner.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #6409
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Genuine real authentic imitation carbon fiber barkbusters.
3x3 mod, jet kit, manual cam chain tensioner.

Still needs case savers and rad guards but getting there. The Uni Biker guards fit well and were not too pricey.

Pretty clean garage you got there Gorman!
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #6410
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallycarJon View Post
Of course it is. All those old retired guys just putter around in them all day long.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #6411
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,472
I see Dr Gorman got her done. How did the carb turn out? Anything done exhaust wise? She's lookin good Tom. Anything else planned?

I checked the tires you recommended Mike. The m59s seem to be kaput. Only size was 110/90-21. Front only. Luckily that fits the klx. The tracmaster looks like the mx51s I was looking at off recommendations too. They're about $15 cheaper too. The 51 is intermediate,the 59s are intermediate to soft rated. They cost $3 more too. I'll do some more looking when I get time.

Good news for today. That spill I had back in Nov. I'm fairly certain my shoulder was separated. The collar bone seemed too high at my shoulder,had a nice hard spot too. Well, today driving home from work I had my elbow resting on the door of the fj,hit a pothole,and my shoulder made a nice loud pop. My teeth half gritted from the upcoming sensation only to feel like everything was all right finally. Bump is gone now. It doesn't feel awkward in certain positions anymore either. Woo hoo!
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #6412
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

That's crazy Dan. I whacked my shoulder hard on the ice and it took three weeks to get it feeling better. Dan, answer this one. The stock main jet in the DRZ is a 142.5. The ones that came in the kit are listed as DJ128-DJ136. How does that work?

Still Riff Raff
Old 01-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #6413
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
That's crazy Dan. I whacked my shoulder hard on the ice and it took three weeks to get it feeling better. Dan, answer this one. The stock main jet in the DRZ is a 142.5. The ones that came in the kit are listed as DJ128-DJ136. How does that work?
Dj and stock mikuni jets are measured differently. IE a 120 dj is not the same size as a 120 mikuni jet. This should help explain and gauge sizes.
http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_miku...ihin_sizes.htm

Now also keep in mind needle diameter too. If you swap needles throw away all jet comparisons unless the original needle is maintained. Different needle tapers will flow fuel at diff rates,so if needle a is slimmer then needle b it'll need smaller jets to flow the same fuel.

That answer it?

My advice. Buy an fcr-mx 39 and never be unhappy again. They're flat out awesome. You still need to ride this beast of mine. You'll see what it does.

Danjal screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 06:47 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #6414
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Also it's a cv carb too. Most kits mess with the vac operation of the slide to change needle timing. Making them lift faster to suck more fuel in is a usual mod. Did you have to drill the slide it change the weight on it? Keep that in mind too.

Cv carbs 101-
Your slide is on a diaphragm, needle goes through the slide. That sits in the main bore of the carb. Behind the diaphragm is a hole in that bore or its somewhere the slide and intake that goes from the main bore to above the slide. This uses vac from the engine intaking air to raise the slide. Also behind the slide is the butterfly valve. This is controlled by the throttle cable. Open or closed fast it wouldn't matter since the vac operation of the main slide controls air and fuel in. It's also slower since vac needs to build to lift it.

Slide style carbs use a cable on the slide instead of a diaphragm. Raising one too fast causes a lean condition known as "4 stroke bog". Some carbs like the tm-40 and fcr-mx added an accelerator pump to fight being lean. No vac operation. You open the throttle fast and she goes right now or dies without the pump. Non pumped carbs are ran rich or you learn to not wfo the throttle fast. No fluctuation of the throttle on a bouncy road due to a bouncy vac operating slide either. They're a smidge less fuel efficient,but a sorted one won't show it since your afr needs to be the same to run the same machine anyway.

Cv carbs are normally easier to pass epa and tamer so most makers use them for on road bikes. EPA compliance due to slower moving slides and not a fast rich spike from improperly jetting to stop bog,or an ap pump for a sudden enrichment.

My Dr only did one wheelie before the fcr on an accident when I throttled high and accidentally lost grip on the clutch. And it wasn't big. Now, I'll loop my big ass if I open it wfo from a stop. Much peppier and no feathering needed. Won't make me a better rider,it'll help log crossings though or at low end speeds or revs. It's much less picky in gears in town too. I know you'll get the sudden accel vs the mickey carb, top end wont differ on one to the other though. Slides effect low-mid only vs cv. After your peak powerband is strung out they both just idle up to that last little bit left. If it's lacking there, this is the way to go,if you're happy,save the money and ride on.

Danjal screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 07:23 PM
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #6415
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask, but here goes - what?

He decided to quit school, drop out of the Army, knock up his GF, skip out on her for a life of crime. Haven't seen him in about 5 years when we told him to come back when he didn't need any money

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #6416
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallycarJon View Post
Still needs case savers and rad guards but getting there. The Uni Biker guards fit well and were not too pricey.

You haven't seen the side where Tom was standing. The cacant are is where the F150 and Fusion sit. What you don't see are 10 bicycles, Transalp, 950, Ascot, 3 work benches covered in junk and a whole bunch more!

I guess I never noticed the jets were from another brand of bike but upon inspection the jets were smaller bore.

A narrower needle will flow more fuel but, the main jet still restricts the maximum flow at full throttle no matter how far the jet needle comes out. However the needle jet that the jet needle slides through can wear out and cause issues down the road. Or are we talking about something else?

His new needle is much richer (thinner). What surprised me was they kept the stock pilot and turned the fuel screw out 3.5 turns?

Looks like we'll have time to play with the jetting, I broke one of the tabs off that holds the needle retainer clip. I have it fixed good enough to test the jetting while the new one is being shipped. I don't get it close, I have to take it back apart anyhow when the new one comes in.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #6417
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

And....

I was surprised they didn't want the slide drilled. At this stage, I don't think a twitchy throttle is what he needs right now anyhow.

They did give him a second spring which feels to have a lighter rate. The instructions just said it was a spare in case the other was lost That this is pretty big to get lost.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #6418
Danjal
Insert wit here.

They aren't bad on the throttle unless you really grab some go. A pressure valve shuts the accel pump off for slow throttle and med throttle rolls. Only when it needs a bunch of fuel to fight bog is when it closes the bypass and sends fuel into the carb. Pretty neat setup.

I'll read and answer the rest later. This 2am crap makes my brain have the dumb.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #6419
edhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
He decided to quit school, drop out of the Army, knock up his GF, skip out on her for a life of crime. Haven't seen him in about 5 years when we told him to come back when he didn't need any money
At least he didn't become a Fucking Carnie.

edhead screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 05:45 AM Reason: edited to abide by ADV venacular
edhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #6420
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

I am pretty sure the term used on this forum is fucking carnie.

At least he's not Manti Teou.

Still Riff Raff