ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #6496
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Mike, you have a budding career for.you down here in NC teaching the locals how to drive in a quarter inch of snow. 13 rollovers and thats not counting fenderbenders.....
Ironically I missed al the crashes today, enough fast sailing to the North shore and back. Saw lots of slide marks, no cars.

Sis lived in Atlanta, said the whole town shut down with only a 1/4" of snow

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #6497
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,494
It's funny to be in different parts of the country when they get snow.I was working in either Arkansas or Alabama and they got maybe 2-3",one hardware store painted on thier windows in 3' red letters "CLOSED DUE TO SNOW"
I had to rent some tools for work and the counter people must have asked ten times "you're going out in this?????"
The real tragedy in the whole thing is fear and ignorance prevented the townfolk from the once in a life time oppurtunity to do donuts in the snow. On the flipside I was in the Sierras near Tahoe and it snowed something like four feet overnight
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #6498
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,616
I've got a couple good ones about Atlanta. The carpocalypse was a fun endeavor to drive through. 4pm when I made it there,Friday on a thanksgiving day weekend, 30 degrees and dropping, rain that turned to snow over the course of 5 hours it took me to run the loop from lawrenceburg to Kennesaw. I had one pass me on it's roof to slam into the gas tanker in front of me and several wrecks happen on my sides and in front of my nose. That day was hands down the most nuts I've ever seen it in my 9 years of holding a cdl.

I've been pulled over 3 times for "level 3" snow emergencies down south. All of them in towns and anywhere from 1/4"-2" of snow. Everytime it's been about the same as you Kevin. They ask if you're nuts,look at the state on the license,ask how much snow we have,then tell you to carry on. The first few times I heard of snow down south sent folks into an absolute panic. They make a run on walmart and grocery stores like it's the end of the world. By noon the snow is gone anyway. It's nuts.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #6499
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
I think some of the people here plow snow for hire. We've got a truck with a poly plow my brother uses to plow the family rental properties. A couple of the neighbors have asked, begged actually, for us to do their drives and lots simply because we get it done early. I have no idea what to charge. Not sure if I want the headache either.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #6500
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,616
Pm Gonzo_Matt. IIRC he's running a couple trucks for plowing.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #6501
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 1,155
New guy, been lurking for a good bit. I'd like to jump in on any NE Ohio rides that might happen. Got a run-of-the-mill V-Strom that does just nicely on the NE Ohio roads. Here's a pic or two of Rte 164 near the OH/WV border.

"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 AM   #6502
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,310
Nice Pix

Welcome to the asylum PM!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #6503
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,731
Yo, Prime.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #6504
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I think some of the people here plow snow for hire. We've got a truck with a poly plow my brother uses to plow the family rental properties. A couple of the neighbors have asked, begged actually, for us to do their drives and lots simply because we get it done early. I have no idea what to charge. Not sure if I want the headache either.

I won't touch a driveway for under $30. That chases off most of the people who want to have driveways done because the Craigslist plow pros will push em for $5. I don't do any occupied residential drives anymore for the exact reason you are shy about it, it's a headache. I don't care how careful you are, their driveway will be scratched, their grass will be torn up, of your snow plow will wake up aunt Mildred at 3am and they will complain.

As far as parking lots, I have a formula for how long it takes us to take 2" of snow of of a square foot. You can measure the square footage and estimate that way. I used to use that method, it sometimes works, nowadays, I just look at the lot, try to estimate how long it will take me to plow (remembering that you are going to eat time backdragging parking spaces, loading docks etc) and take that number times whatever you think your rate per hour should be. I'm able to get $80-100 an hour in Columbus pretty easily because I work on a word of mouth basis and people know I get shit done.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #6505
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,357
Very nice pix Prime Mover. When rides do happen they are usually posted here. Good to have another rider join in on the fun.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #6506
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
I won't touch a driveway for under $30. That chases off most of the people who want to have driveways done because the Craigslist plow pros will push em for $5. I don't do any occupied residential drives anymore for the exact reason you are shy about it, it's a headache. I don't care how careful you are, their driveway will be scratched, their grass will be torn up, of your snow plow will wake up aunt Mildred at 3am and they will complain.

As far as parking lots, I have a formula for how long it takes us to take 2" of snow of of a square foot. You can measure the square footage and estimate that way. I used to use that method, it sometimes works, nowadays, I just look at the lot, try to estimate how long it will take me to plow (remembering that you are going to eat time backdragging parking spaces, loading docks etc) and take that number times whatever you think your rate per hour should be. I'm able to get $80-100 an hour in Columbus pretty easily because I work on a word of mouth basis and people know I get shit done.
Thanks. I checked with the insurance guy. Since we will be plowing on property not owned by us, we would have had to add bonding etc. Not worth it, since we're not wanting to make a business of it.

I'll tell him to try craigslist.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #6507
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,298
Insurance isn't all that bad. When I was flying solo, a 1m policy was only about $50 a month.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #6508
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
Insurance isn't all that bad. When I was flying solo, a 1m policy was only about $50 a month.
That's about what I was quoted. If I was going into the business, its not bad, but just to plow a few neighbor's lots and drives, the money's not there for the headache.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #6509
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Down with the sickness

Been trying to function with whatever it is that's going around since Tuesday. Right now I'm freezing and sore all over. In regards to travel, it took me an hour longer than usual to get to the farm friday afternoon. Tractor trailers were spinning, unable to make the hills, blocking the road. I did see something I haven't seen in Ohio in a long time-truckers running chains on their drive wheels-they were all O&G related rigs. I guess they know what it takes to get around in all types of conditions. Quite a bit more snow south of Rt. 30 than up here. -3 F at the farm this morning. Agree-great pictures there Prime Mover. I split time between Boardman and my place in Carroll County. Keep that camera handy, it doesn't take much of an excuse for this group to go riding.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #6510
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Mover View Post
Welcome! You a fan of the works of Iain M. Banks?
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote