ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #6751
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,657
Wow, way too tired to go into it right now, but there is legislation in committee that would eliminate the dedicated fund for the Motorcycle Ohio program. Someone remind me tomorrow.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #6752
coolbluedab
The Frosted Ferret

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Ever ride a 350? They're the only Dr with a 6 speed. Or like minded bike until you get into Euro bikes that I know of. Always wondered if a 350 tranny could swap over or if one could be modded to 650 torque specs.
Why not just replace the top gear, with a longer one so that while there is a large gap between 4-5. At least when it comes to accel, 1-4... all is well, and a tall 5th allows for cruising. It would let you gear it all down, and keep top end. Admittedly not as smooth on last gear. But wouldn't it allow for what everyone wants?
coolbluedab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #6753
dox
How much for the ape?

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Wow, way too tired to go into it right now, but there is legislation in committee that would eliminate the dedicated fund for the Motorcycle Ohio program. Someone remind me tomorrow.
My wife was digging around online and noticed that the cost of the MSF courses has doubled over the last few years. IIRC, Motorcycle Ohio runs the MSF courses here in Ohio?
Old 02-19-2013, 01:35 AM   #6754
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,410
Quote:
So now that it's some God awful hour in the morning,who do we need to lynch?
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #6755
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluedab View Post
Why not just replace the top gear, with a longer one so that while there is a large gap between 4-5. At least when it comes to accel, 1-4... all is well, and a tall 5th allows for cruising. It would let you gear it all down, and keep top end. Admittedly not as smooth on last gear. But wouldn't it allow for what everyone wants?
Got a source for one? As far as I know they only make 3rd gear replacement sets that cost a tenth of a new bike. Even then 3rd gear failures were very few and far between. Something like 5 bikes out of 200k. Custom gears..yeah...might as well buy the burg instead of shelling that much out.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #6756
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
My wife was digging around online and noticed that the cost of the MSF courses has doubled over the last few years. IIRC, Motorcycle Ohio runs the MSF courses here in Ohio?
In the last year or two msf went from 20 or 25 up to 50. The guys there cited lack of instructors,fuel cost,and bike cost.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #6757
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dox View Post
That is correct. I'll have a full write up on the OMTA website later today, and i'll link it here.

The cliff notes:
M.O. has a dedicated fund that pays for operating the program, supplemented by the now $50 fee. Language in the transportation budget bill, HB35 would combine the fund with the larger Ohio Highway Patrol Safety Fund, but the money would still be ear marked for Motorcycle Ohio. It's a "slippery slope" kind of thing, combining the fund makes it easier to raid in the future.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #6758
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
In the last year or two msf went from 20 or 25 up to 50. The guys there cited lack of instructors,fuel cost,and bike cost.
Also correct, although the rider fees only cover a fraction of the cost to operate.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:00 AM   #6759
argon76
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
I may pick on the KLR a lot, call it a Kubota, and encourage riders to disengage the PTO for extra power, but I do respect it as being an excellent light weight adventure tourer. My X-Co may be more fun (at least to me), but if I were looking to go around the world and had both bikes to choose from, it would be the one with the Kubota Like Ride.
Come to the KLR side Muddy!!!! They're inexpensive and your bike's in pieces anyhow.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #6760
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by argon76 View Post
Come to the KLR side Muddy!!!! They're inexpensive and your bike's in pieces anyhow.
But the KLR is soooo fat! I have done some serious thought about selling the X-Co this spring to fund something like a V-Strom for 2 up riding. The problem is I LOVE the bike. Well, i love riding it. Working on it and the goofy shit BMW did in design gives me headaches. The next bike move for us is something bigger for 2 up, and then i'd like to get a smaller trail bike. Even then I'd hate to sell the X-Co. Besides the fun factor their are a lot of memories attached to it for both me and Mala Bunny.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #6761
Danjal
Insert wit here.

I agree with the slippery slope bit too. Politicians and gov agencies will rob an account dry even if it's not theirs or needed. The mindset and logic is baffling. Blow all your reserves on whatever and hope for a bigger budget next year,or face a cut since you managed to have a surplus. It's baffling. Never once in my life have I ever had yearly expenditures cost the same overall.

Quote:
Also correct, although the rider fees only cover a fraction of the cost to operate.
Oh I'm pretty sure it was funded in other ways besides $200-300(total for all students) a weekend classes. Most I've seen are under 15 people. The bikes are nice,minor drops at worst,all fairly new too.

Danjal screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 05:56 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #6762
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Looks like a pretty good deal on an xr650 with farkles.
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3625808587.html
Old 02-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #6763
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Looks like a pretty good deal on an xr650 with farkles.
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/3625808587.html
Strangely enough that bike was sitting on the showroom floor at All Season's in Wooster this past Saturday. Still listed on their website as well....... It is pretty nice though from what I could tell.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #6764
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
It's a 100 pounds lighter than the Wee.

The one thing I really would change about the KLR is adding 6th gear. For what it is, the bang for the buck is hard to beat.
I think with the current models its only a 50 pound difference, but still considerable.
Vstrom curb weight 472
KLR650 curb weight 432

With the pre08 KLR the difference was closer to 100.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #6765
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
I think with the current models its only a 50 pound difference, but still considerable.
Vstrom curb weight 472
KLR650 curb weight 432

With the pre08 KLR the difference was closer to 100.

Craig
I think the curb weight on my X-Country with luggage, skid plate, aux fuel tank all added is still only about 410.