ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #6781
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansz400 View Post
Ride my WR250r before you pull the triger on the DR. You will be glad you did. Its still dirty from a couple weeks ago so anytime you want to ride it let me know.

Yup. You won't be sorry with buying a WRR, especially if you have a second bike for street duty. The WR isn't bad on the street, I actually was pretty chipper after 200+ cold miles last weekend, but you will feel guilty about grinding down your knobbies.....

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #6782
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post

Yup. You won't be sorry with buying a WRR, especially if you have a second bike for street duty. The WR isn't bad on the street, I actually was pretty chipper after 200+ cold miles last weekend, but you will feel guilty about grinding down your knobbies.....
The WR is awesome on the street, way better than the DR. It's smoother, more nimble, more comfortable, all around better at everything. I really think it's even a better long distance mount than the DR. Much as was previously stated, if I could only own one bike, the WR would be it. It took me a while (and 2 WRRs) to sort that concept out, but I'm solid on it now.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #6783
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

I agree that the WR is great on the street, but it's nice to be able to have a bike with street oriented tires as well so that you aren't grinding the shit out of your knobs commuting or doing whatever.

Is the perfect stable a WRR and a WRX?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #6784
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Where were you at this morning mike?
Cohutta National Forest, Georgia. I tried the neighboring state park but was treated with a sign that said I was trespassing without a reservation. So I rode up into the forest and found a spot off the road to camp and build a fire. Believe it or not, it was warm enough to walk around jacketless and clear skies full of stars when I went to sleep.

The road got worse as I rode North, bad enough that I decided to turn around and call it a day. It took a lot to get up as high as I did w/o getting stuck or crashing. For once I think I did the right thing.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #6785
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,648
Quote:
I agree that the WR is great on the street, but it's nice to be able to have a bike with street oriented tires as well so that you aren't grinding the shit out of your knobs commuting or doing whatever.

WRR with two wheel sets, one with street and one with dirt; and an Alan to swap them out upon demand.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #6786
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
We can't afford the perfect stable! Your suggestion is however, a great start. For the typical ds rider, the WRR is the best ds bike Japan has offered the USA. Sadly Honda offered both the XR250 and XR400 as ds bikes in Australia but no one
else.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #6787
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Cohutta National Forest, Georgia. I tried the neighboring state park but was treated with a sign that said I was trespassing without a reservation. So I rode up into the forest and found a spot off the road to camp and build a fire. Believe it or not, it was warm enough to walk around jacketless and clear skies full of stars when I went to sleep.

The road got worse as I rode North, bad enough that I decided to turn around and call it a day. It took a lot to get up as high as I did w/o getting stuck or crashing. For once I think I did the right thing.

My old home away from home there. I was in Dalton,GA for about 5 years. If you get time try Ga-2, Ga-157, and Ga-52 up around that area. All pretty windy and twisty mountain roads. Plenty of mountain bikers were along Ga-2.

Somewhere on US-411 and 61 north of ranger,ga is a small road called apple road.. I have less than fond memories of that place. We were contracted to bring in prefab cabins from youngstown on top of that mountain.. one that we shouldnt have been up on top of with a full sized semi, 53' trailer, and loaded to 80,000 pounds to boot. The side of the road gave out under me and I was stuck on the DOT bumper of the trailer. No tires were touching the ground. It was about a 200' drop to the right side. ...Yeah.. fuck that place.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #6788
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
We can't afford the perfect stable! Your suggestion is however, a great start. For the typical ds rider, the WRR is the best ds bike Japan has offered the USA. Sadly Honda offered both the XR250 and XR400 as ds bikes in Australia but no one
else.
Well, you've said it. They don't make ONE bike that "does it all". And each person has a different idea of what he needs for a dual sport adventure bike. AND each person has a different level of ability. That WRR may not be the cat's meow for everyone. The best Michigan bike may not be the best West Virginia bike.

I'd like to buzz around town on a little scooter. But I don't live in town. The closest gas station is eight miles away. So that scooter doesn't make much sense. (about as much sense as camping in the snow)! :) Unless you're Michael.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #6789
alansz400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:

I think you still need a 650cc plus bike in your stable. As bad as the DR is off road it is still fun to have that extra power on the road. Since Steve has a Strom I think a 250cc bike would be much better then another 650. I hope to upgrade my DR this summer to a Vstrom type bike.
alansz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #6790
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
It takes time to find the bikes that work for you. The fun part is riding them all to make that determination.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #6791
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

It's all in what you want to do. A 650 is fine for 90% of what you can find to ride in this state. It's that other 10% where you are wrestling an extra 130 pounds of bike over a log or up a muddy hill that make owning a small bike nice. I commuted 70 miles a day on 2 lane blacktop on my KLR 250 3 years ago, and did just fine. I also flogged the shit out of it on every cow path and trail I was able to, so for me, it was a good one bike compromise.

Alan is right tho, going from a little bike to a big thumper makes you realize you missed all that torque, and you remember how nice it is to be able to pass someone without having to plan a half mile and 3 gears ahead. A lot of it has to do with size too, my 5'10" 170 pound ass doesn't like dealing with a 450 pound bike, but someone with a bigger stature like Whitey would look like Donkey Kong on a KLR 250, and could toss the 650 around a little easier.

I'm going to give my 650 another year, with some 70/30 type tires on it and see how much I actually use it. If I put some good miles on it, I'll prob step up to a Strom, Tiger, or mutant crotch rocket next year.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #6792
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,021
Soooo you guys are saying I should go for the WR ?

For the hundredth time.

I really like the long service interval, mpg, the weight and it would be a stellar replacement for the scooter I had last summer and almost as cool. The offroad capabilities will far out weigh my skill set/willingness. I've rode the new off the Wee and was sorta thinking of replacing it with a DR650. I installed a 16t sprocket and it really helped the Wee at 80mph on the interstate. I rode a lot of FS roads last summer on the Wee, some of which I'd previously had the Wingabagos on. I know if I sold the Wee I'd miss it. I've had several old V4 Hondas and after selling I missed them. No rush on finding another bike right now. An old DR350, KLR250 or similar sized bike would work for me as long as I find an E start for $ 1-1.5 thousand. If another deal for a WR like Matt got and I would be very tempted.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #6793
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,724
The more I ride Mala Bunny's WR the more I want my own.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #6794
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,544
You're in Wooster right Steve? Find a wrr owner and before you go to buy I'll let you try my Dr. Fair warning,it's long legged and is going to be stiff suspension for you unless you're 6'4 and 275 like me. She's also really heavy on torque down low from the fcr-mx and other mods.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #6795
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,021
I will more than likely take Alan up on his offer to ride his WR.