ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #6886
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post

Meef - the ADV OH stickers were cool - start working on the ADV TWAT graphics, please.
I have an image ready to go but I don't want to get banned for posting it.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #6887
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Tomorrow should be interesting, I'll be one of the bearers and Dan was not a petit boy. Hopefully there'll be some healthy young horses helping out.

Anyone up to getting lost from Brush Creek south this weekend? May go play with the twat this weekend.

**twat- Trans Western Allegheny Trail, aka Ohio trail, sorry, I needed to inject some kind of humor

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. My condolances.

A few of us are headed down to Malvern this weekend if you want to do some outlaw trails. It's weather dependent at this point how far we stray from the area.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #6888
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
My condolences Mike.

Let me know when you are riding. I plan to get out both days this weekend.

Supposed to be nice both days, I'd like to get a long pedal ride in on one of those 2. May also do a lunch ride to the Warehouse (Steak & Stein) in Coshocton on the other.

Let me know which bike you are planning to ride or go terrorize Malvern

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #6889
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,119

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #6890
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Hey guys,

Has anybody here ever bought a bike from out of state and then titled and registered it here in Ohio?

If you have what exactly do you have to go through with the BMV in order to get the process completed and get plates for your bike?

Thanks,
Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #6891
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I have an image ready to go but I don't want to get banned for posting it.
Have Whitey do it for you
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #6892
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrady1982 View Post
Hey guys,

Has anybody here ever bought a bike from out of state and then titled and registered it here in Ohio?

If you have what exactly do you have to go through with the BMV in order to get the process completed and get plates for your bike?

Thanks,
Jack
Make sure you get the appropriate paperwork for the state where you buy it! Notarized bill of sale, notarized title, previous year's registration... Each state is its own beast so make sure you get what you need.

From the OH BMV site:
Out-of-State Titles [ - ]
When you are converting or transferring title to a vehicle that was last titled in another state, the following is required:
The actual Certificate of Title; copies are not acceptable. If your out of state title reflects an open lien, proper evidence of its extinction or a copy of the security agreement or loan contract covering the vehicle is required. If your title is held by a lienholder, any title office can provide the necessary paperwork to request the original title.
Out of State Inspection Form Any vehicle last previously registered or titled in another state must have a physical inspection, before being titled in Ohio. This is NOT a safety inspection. The inspection of your vehicle will verify the year, make, body type, model, and manufacturer's serial number or vehicle identification number (VIN). All license agencies offer this service as well as many car dealerships. Call ahead and ask for the service department.
You will be given the completed inspection form. Please contact the clerk of the Courts Title Office as well as where you get your inspection completed, for fees involved.

Plan on paying taxes on the purchase price of the vehicle.
From the OH BMV site:
Sales Tax [ - ]
Sales tax is required to be paid when you purchase an automobile. Sales tax is figured on the purchase price of the vehicle. If the vehicle is new and has never been titled, the tax will be figured on the difference between the purchase price and any trade-in amount. If you buy a vehicle outside of Ohio for use in Ohio, credit may be given for any tax paid to the other state and may be deducted from taxes due in Ohio.

Bring Cash
From the OH BMV site:
Payment of Sales Tax [ - ]
Ohio Revised Code 4506.06 requires the sales and use tax to be paid in cash, certified check or money order to the title office before a new title can be issued. We would advise you to contact your county clerks office for payment requirements.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #6893
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Jack
I have bought three, one from MI, WV, PA.

Get the title which may or may not need to be notarized based on the selling state's rules. MI titles do not, can't recall the others. Check with the seller or look at the title for a blank spot for a notarial seal.

Once back in Ohio bring the bike and the title to either the BMV or to a car dealer authorized to do out of state inspections. They will complete a title inspection which basically is a confirmation that the VIN matches the title. BMV charges $3 to do this.

Then take the title and the out of state inspection to the clerk of courts, transfer title into an Ohio title in your name.

Then, to the BMV for plates.

If your title office and BMV are a "one stop shop" it literally takes 15 minutes for the whole process.

Edited to add, I'm a notary if anyone ever needs one.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #6894
coolbluedab
The Frosted Ferret

Oddometer: 105
The slogan at the bottom of that sticker should be... "Ride em all day long!"
coolbluedab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #6895
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Jack
Rxc and Meef hit the main points, so glad they beat me to it. I will ad however to make SURE you do your homework on the proceedures for the other state. Ohio law requires our BMV to honor the regulations from the other state. If you miss a step in their procedure, you could get screwed if the previous owner refuses to return communication to fix the situation. I cannot stress this enough, if the bike is supposed to have a title, make sure you have it!
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #6896
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,614
The guys got out of state titles. My dad and I did a car and bike from wv and pa in the last couple of years. Make sure they notarize their side before leaving,then trailer or ride it with valid temp plates for the inspection. Some might want legal working signals/horn/etc if it's a conversion FYI. Pretty simple process,just don't forget the out of state side.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #6897
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluedab View Post
The slogan at the bottom of that sticker should be... "Ride em all day long!"
Or "One damn fine ride"
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #6898
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
In case any of you FF's are intertested:
http://www.facebook.com/events/571479009529404/
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #6899
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Hey guys thanks for all the replies...

So how do you do a "fly and ride" legally? I don't think that you can get temporary tags at the BMV for a motorcycle that you do not have the title for, can you? From what I have been researching, it looks like to be legal you would have to do a trailer or truck and ride. Meaning go up to the bike with a truck or a can with a trailer and bring the bike home that way. I don't know.

I am looking for a BMW R1150GSA or R1200GSA, I am kind of set on the adventure model, becuase I am 6'4" so I think that bike would fit me better. Do any of the locals have any experiece or thoughts about the seat height difference between the GS and the GSA?

It seems like there are some ok deals right now for R12GS's and GSA's.

Basically if I buy it from out of state, get that title notarized at all costs.... And get a recepit for ~$250 no matter how much it cost! jk

Thanks!
-Jack

I was "that guy" who back in 2009 bought a 1986 Honda XL6R with no title, and after about 4 months was able to get a title for that sucker. I had to file a "petition" with the Court of Common Pleas in Cuyahoga County and everything, go before a magistrate, got a parking ticket. The magistrate person wanted my evidence that the PO lost the title and that it was not stolen, I told him that I wrote him multiple times and got no response. He agreed and sent me the paperwork to get it inspected to make sure that it was not stolen. Got the bike inspected at the state highway partol, once it "passed" took those papers to the title bureau over at like 480 at Broadway...I think, to get a title for it. The next weekend went and got the plates. I don't think that you can do that anymore, but I may be wrong. I had to do a total frame off restoration so I had the time to wait for the title non-sense to go through. Quite a process though.
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #6900
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for all the replies...

So how do you do a "fly and ride" legally? I don't think that you can get temporary tags at the BMV for a motorcycle that you do not have the title for, can you? From what I have been researching, it looks like to be legal you would have to do a trailer or truck and ride. Meaning go up to the bike with a truck or a can with a trailer and bring the bike home that way. I don't know.
Ride it back with the PO's plates, and mail them to him later; or ride it back with a plate off your other - or your old - bike. You may be able to get a temp tag with a bill of sale in other states, but not in Ohio any more.

You don't have to get the title notarized unless that is a notarial state. Notarizing a title that doesn't require it may actually cause that title to be rejected. It's a fucked up process.