ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #8656
BigArn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,403
I'm going to pass this time
But next time I'm in
I want to talk about a rear tire with you also
Ride safe
BigArn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #8657
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
Hey guys. I had a new tire mounted on the front Thursday. I didn't have them balance it because I usually use beads and haven't had any issues. Normally I'd have them balance it and then mark the location of the weights, take them off and insert beads. I thought if there was an issue I'd just put the weights back on. Well, after using the beads successfully multiple times front and rear I decided to tell them not to bother to balance it at all this time (mistake number 1). I went home and put 1 ounce of beads in it. Seemed off on the only short ride I did so I put another 1/2 once in it. (Dynabeads recommends 1 ounce to start with for a front the size I have I believe). Got on the road today and realized that I have a pretty noticeable head shake on deceleration between 35 & 45 miles per hour. Normally could take my hands off the bars at 60mph or more pretty much all the way to a stop (don't try this at home). Seemed to pretty much go away at other speeds. Thought maybe it was the new tire and after a little wear it would be fine. Did 458 miles today and it's not better. It's actually quite annoying running twisty secondary roads where corner speed is 35 to 45. I actually think it is more noticeable the longer I ride. Seemed fine at 80mph and I didn't notice it much below 30. I realized later in the day that if I stand on the pegs I can feel it at other points. I got it up to 65 and stood on the pegs and pulled in the clutch and coasted it down to 30 or so. I can feel it most everywhere it just really becomes a problem between 35 and 45. So the question is is this shimmy / shaking due to an imbalance in the front tire? I guess if I'd had them balance the wheel I would have at least known how much weight it took. They commented on the back tire I had mounted a month ago that it took quite a bit of weight very close to the valve stem which seemed unusual to them. Anyways. Anyone use beads to balance? Do I just need more? I've got about 1 3/4 ounces in it right now. It's a 19 inch front tire on a Vstrom. OEM Bridgestone Trailwing. Trouble is that tomorrow is Sunday and I don't have the tools to do it myself and I didn't bring any more beads with me. Looks like I'll probably be riding it tomorrow as is. Is this a problem? Add more beads? Remove and balance mechanically ASAP? Safe to ride tomorrow or am I going to ruin the tire? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Quote:
There were no problems whatsoever before the front tire was changed. Nothing else has been apart. All the things Dan and others mentioned are fine. The tire is seated on the bead correctly all of the way around and spins true. That's the first thing I checked. The rim is straight. Looking down on it while riding or spinning it while it's rocked back on the center stand there is no visible imperfection. Now that you mention it I may have had to put 2 ounces in the previous tire. If that is the case then I don't have enough in there even if it is pretty close to perfect. If I have one that is anything like the rear I just got and a little more off than normal than I probably just don't have enough weight in it. It feels fine on a dirt road or going really fast so I guess those will have to be my options for tomorrow! Thanks for the help. This is why you don't change anything right before a trip unless you absolutely have to...
Between this and the oil thing I believe you worry too much.

Just ride it. I haven't balanced a tire in like 5 years.

I do have one thought that might be of help: you are riding two up, with luggage, right? A certain amount of headshake is to be expected with heavier loads in the back of the bike especially if you haven't adjusted the preload to compensate; not that the Strom (apparently?) has a super stellar suspension anyway.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #8658
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
That's what you get for shopping under the tree.

Two words...In stock!
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #8659
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,765
tag:

former dragstrip now home to an rc plane club on Gibson Rd. in N. Jackson.
new one up shortly, gotta get off the runway so someone can take off.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #8660
PeteH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Airport

Actually it was originally the Youngstown Executive Airport, Built around 1961. On Friday and Saturday nights during the summer Ohio Drag City also operated there under separate management. It was known locally to racers and fans as just "Meander". The airport once was a thriving business, they were hit hard by the tornado in '86, losing multiple buildings and airplanes. I grew up about 7 miles from there, remember going for airplane rides with friends of the family there several times. The drag strip was a hoppin' place in the seventies and eighties. I just spent an hour looking at old pictures from there on Facebook. Brought back a lot of great memories. It seems to me a waste of perfectly good asphalt-would be a great place for somebody to open an airport, dragstrip or supermoto track.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #8661
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

New tag:

Post office in a small town that shares the name of a bat shit crazy actress ( ) who recently played Spock's mother.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #8662
Mala Bunny
Adventuress

Oddometer: 61
You would!?!?

Sometimes you make me second guess our nuptials....

I'm not whining, I'm bitching. There's a difference!
Mala Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #8663
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Bah, you know mentaly unstable chicks get me hot.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #8664
everready
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Bah, you know mentaly unstable chicks get me hot.
I should hook you up with my ex, you'd be in heaven!!!
everready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #8665
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Wink

I'm already there, hence the afore mentioned nuptuals.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #8666
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,726
Quote:

( )
Hellz yeah!

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #8667
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,724
Anyone a roofer?

I'm thinking of putting a standing seam metal roof on a house in Carroll county. I don't want a barn roof with exposed screws, which is the only kind they seem to do around that area. It doesn't look that hard, but I've only done asphalt shingles and slate before.

Tile and drywall work needed too if someone needs work. I can handle it; I just don't have the time right now.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #8668
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

I have an Amish friend that does very very nice work on metal roofs, if you can't find someone else let me know.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #8669
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I'm thinking of putting a standing seam metal roof on a house in Carroll county. I don't want a barn roof with exposed screws, which is the only kind they seem to do around that area. It doesn't look that hard, but I've only done asphalt shingles and slate before.

Tile and drywall work needed too if someone needs work. I can handle it; I just don't have the time right now.
There's a style of manufactured roofing made by some of the steel companies that looks like standing seam, but is actually preformed 26ga steel. It uses a clip system to hold it together and is pretty slick, we have it on the old barn on our farm.
http://www.atas.com/products/metal-roofs/standing-seam

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #8670
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,309
beads

Quote:
There were no problems whatsoever before the front tire was changed. Nothing else has been apart. All the things Dan and others mentioned are fine. The tire is seated on the bead correctly all of the way around and spins true. That's the first thing I checked. The rim is straight. Looking down on it while riding or spinning it while it's rocked back on the center stand there is no visible imperfection. Now that you mention it I may have had to put 2 ounces in the previous tire. If that is the case then I don't have enough in there even if it is pretty close to perfect. If I have one that is anything like the rear I just got and a little more off than normal than I probably just don't have enough weight in it. It feels fine on a dirt road or going really fast so I guess those will have to be my options for tomorrow! Thanks for the help. This is why you don't change anything right before a trip unless you absolutely have to...
An interesting thread describing a similar situation...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902105

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote