ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #9661
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw217 View Post
Wo,wo,wo....And what prompted this outburst? said the guy from Youngstown
Your immobile tag!!!!!!!!!!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #9662
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Know where the farnsy tag is located?
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #9663
mjw217
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Not my job, I set this one! But if you speak of the lack of local participation to move it around, I'm with you there. Not many inmates around here I guess, I know three...
mjw217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #9664
mjw217
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Ninja tag

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I think it's a good tag, easy to find for sure. I love that Ninja, great little bike to ride.
mjw217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #9665
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Know where the farnsy tag is located?
At least that shit is interesting.

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Peters/peters.html

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #9666
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracksean View Post
Quick question. What would be a better bike for NE Ohio. A KTM 690 enduro or a KTM 990 Adventure? I know there are a lot of variables on intended uses etc... I'm just looking for a few opinions. Thanks.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
It just depends on what you're getting into. If you're logging lots of pavement miles, the 990 is way better because of the wind protection, bigger tank, better seat, TALL 6th gear, etc. The 690 would be way better though for trail use, especially in our loosy, muddy conditions. If I lived out west though (where the dirt is hardly ever muddy, and there are dirt roads galore), I'd get the 990 for sure.

Hopefully the 990 saddle is better than the 950 saddle because that this sucks worse than Youngstown.

OhioPT is correct, it depends on you and your intent. Oh-Tard had both a 990 and 690, sold the 990 for the 690 then sold that. I have a 950 and a 640, both predecessors to the bikes in question. OhioPT and I both singletracked our big bikes but then again we are both 6'+ tall. For the most part, I will take my 640 anywhere, any type of terrain but avoid prolonged highway speeds. The 950 can go just about anywhere you can lift it out of if you get it stuck. I avoid deep mud and ravines on that beast. I rode it to Marienville and Rocky Gap and back as well as Wayne National with no problems.

I've ridden the 690 but I hear it has very poor fuel range, I'd research it if you plan to travel. The motor rips and is pretty smooth. Sadly the newer 690 have the most power but the shortest suspension. If I had one, I'd look into a bigger fuel tank and stretching the suspension out to 12"

950/990 - Requires patience to service anything connected to the motor, at least one hour should be set aside for the removal and installation of the tanks and fairing bits. The oil can be changed without removing them but every 3 oil changes you should remove the left one to clean the oil tank screen.

Think about a 640 Adventure. Better wind protection than a 690, 7 gallon tank, a carb that can be serviced in the field, you can put a center stand on it, comes with a kick start as a backup.

If you want to check out a 640, you're welcome to come down and look check mine out but I will warn you, while it is solid, it's not a garage queen.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #9667
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
At least that shit is interesting.

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Peters/peters.html

Good stuff!
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #9668
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
FYI, Competition Accessories is taking over the Hilliard location of Ohio Motorcycle.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #9669
Niles
Riding >> Typing

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I think it's a good tag, easy to find for sure. I love that Ninja, great little bike to ride.
Agree on the Ninja and the tag. I almost went and got it last weekend. But when the roads start to get salted and snowy it sucks.

Ohio Motorcycle is super local to where I live/work. I hope it works out for the staff. Any more details on what's going on?

Also while we're talking about KTM's I have been casually looking for a dual sport, enduro, or whatever to get started with. It seems like there's not many places around here to actually get dirty though, so I'm second guessing the whole idea. LOL.
Niles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #9670
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Thanks for the replies. I've been toying with different bike options and keep going back and forth. It's fun to try and come up with the perfect bike combo.

Does anyone know of winter off road riding in the area?

Sean
Old 11-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #9671
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

"FYI, Competition Accessories is taking over the Hilliard location of Ohio Motorcycle."

Hilliard is the Columbus location right? No word on the NE location?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #9672
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post
Agree on the Ninja and the tag. I almost went and got it last weekend. But when the roads start to get salted and snowy it sucks.

Ohio Motorcycle is super local to where I live/work. I hope it works out for the staff. Any more details on what's going on?

Also while we're talking about KTM's I have been casually looking for a dual sport, enduro, or whatever to get started with. It seems like there's not many places around here to actually get dirty though, so I'm second guessing the whole idea. LOL.
There are plenty of places once you get south of new philly.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #9673
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
Mines and Meadows is just across the border in PA. I usually get a winter season pass for $50, which is good from December 1st until the end of March, I think. I try to make it there a couple times a month.
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #9674
singletracksean
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Mines and Meadows is just across the border in PA. I usually get a winter season pass for $50, which is good from December 1st until the end of March, I think. I try to make it there a couple times a month.
That's good to know. I went to Crow Canyon a couple winters ago thinking the trails would be packed down and there was no trace of anyone riding there. I had never been there before and I hear they are closed to the public now?

I've been thinking about checking out Mines and Meadows. Maybe I'll make it there at some point in the near future.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #9675
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles View Post

I've been talking with the owner Rick pretty regularly. I was actually in and bought some shop equipment last week. Like I said, the Columbus store is being taken over by Competition Accessories. The Cleveland store is being liquidated. There is a skeleton staff in to finish up paperwork, get the last bikes out of service, and begin packing stuff up. I know Rick is trying to sell as much of the contents of the building as possible to other dealers/shops in the near future, such as inventory and equipment. There has been no indication that a deal is in the works to keep it open, hopefully I am wrong.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote