ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #10066
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Some people will just drill and tap the existing valve hole for a schrader...

I did that to the stepsons YZ250 and used air since his skill level was "severe noob"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
I know you have the adapter at work, but what if you blow the shock in BFE, where there is no adapter available?

I doubt BFE would have ANY KTM parts so it probably wouldn't matter. The nice thing about the piston, it won't blow out like a bladder and it takes a while for a leaking shock to go down. I have no clue how long my shock had been seeping but the seal had quite a bit of dirt lodged in it. The bushing and the pistons seemed to be ok after all that time.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #10067
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
When I had my first couple of Yamaha DT's that were converted to dirt track race bikes.We took the springs out of the front forks, drilled and tapped the caps and installed schraders for air shocks.
My Uncle even did the mod on his 650 twin, but he tied them together with a common fill point.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #10068
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539

Ever seen a lower control arm snap in half?

The poor focus let me down last night, took out the axle too when it broke. I'm glad I had AMA roadside assistance, I was all the way down in Mansfield when it happened. Would have been an expensive tow. Looks like i'll be riding to work for a while .

Pretty cheesy design by ford, two stamped steel pieces riveted together. Trapped salt and rust inside it and broke in half. The part still attached to the ball joint is just packed full of wet rusty flakes. I'll be doing the other side as a preventive measure.

Mgbgt89 screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 04:41 PM
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM   #10069
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
[IMG]
Ever seen a lower control arm snap in half?
Ouch! What year is the focus?
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #10070
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4Mike View Post
Ouch! What year is the focus?
2001. After doing some research its a notoriously weak part. Ford upgraded it at some point, and the SVT's always had a stronger LCA.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #10071
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,734
Had it happen on the subaru. Turned out there was a recall, but I was glad Mala B. was only backing out of the drive when it happened.
muddyrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM   #10072
coolbluedab
The Frosted Ferret

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
2001. After doing some research its a notoriously weak part. Ford upgraded it at some point, and the SVT's always had a stronger LCA.
Subaru had an issue like that on similar years, the bugeye WRXs ... 2001-3 I think? Same issue. I wonder if the parts were made by the same plant?
coolbluedab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #10073
coolbluedab
The Frosted Ferret

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluedab View Post
Subaru had an issue like that on similar years, the bugeye WRXs ... 2001-3 I think? Same issue. I wonder if the parts were made by the same plant?
Edit... for anyone with a scooby of that era... it is a limitless warranty replacement for free. Check yours.
coolbluedab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:10 PM   #10074
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbluedab View Post
Not the WRXs, those had aluminum control arms. All the rest though, due to faulty coating that allowed them to rust. Not just the control arm either, they did subframes on ours as well, and any part that was not in good enough condition to reuse. On ours it included the hydralic suspension bushings, and totaled up to a whopping $1600 in parts.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 AM   #10075
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
Had it happen on the subaru. Turned out there was a recall, but I was glad Mala B. was only backing out of the drive when it happened.
I wish i was just backing out when it happened. I was on the ramp from 71 to 30 doing 45 or 50 when it happened. Got pretty hairy for a minute.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #10076
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
I wish i was just backing out when it happened. I was on the ramp from 71 to 30 doing 45 or 50 when it happened. Got pretty hairy for a minute.
Dayum, glad you are OK. Imagine if it had happened while you were on I71 at full speed with cars next to you.

The only reason I found out about the Suby recall was I asked someone I know who works at a dealer if I could swap in the aluminum control arms from a WRX since they are dirt cheap on Ebay. The amount of stuff they ended up replacing under the recall was ridiculous, especially for a 200,000 mile car. SO now I'm investigating good rust proofing for our vehicles. Seems like the most sensible solution is to move south.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #10077
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
Same thing happened to me at about 70 in my old microbus... Fun Times!

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #10078
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Same thing happened to me at about 70 in my old microbus... Fun Times!
Did you poo? I bet you pooed! I've never driven a microbus but I imagine them having some body roll as they are tall and skinny. I would have pooed.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #10079
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,285
Quote:
Did you poo? I bet you pooed! I've never driven a microbus but I imagine them having some body roll as they are tall and skinny. I would have pooed.
No need to poo when you have an angel riding on your shoulder! Otherwise I would have been swimming in the Chagrin River. The right front suspension collapsed as I was driving down Route 2 where it crosses the river, I got thrown into the passenger seat as the bus was bouncing along the guardrail over looking the river.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #10080
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Dayum, glad you are OK. Imagine if it had happened while you were on I71 at full speed with cars next to you.

The only reason I found out about the Suby recall was I asked someone I know who works at a dealer if I could swap in the aluminum control arms from a WRX since they are dirt cheap on Ebay. The amount of stuff they ended up replacing under the recall was ridiculous, especially for a 200,000 mile car. SO now I'm investigating good rust proofing for our vehicles. Seems like the most sensible solution is to move south.
Best thing I've found is to get it sprayed with bar and chain oil. It kept the rust at bay on my truck decently. The truck is currently retired until i move south though. I like it too much to see it destroyed.

I'd get this car sprayed too but the lift points don't exist anymore, so i don't think my guy would feel very safe underneath it on the lift.