ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #10381
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineTofive View Post
I would be up for a little "tech day" aka ummm beerfest if anything transpires. I don't know about mounting a tire on a v-strom and if you need to get it properly balanced or not. On my KLR and DR I just throw the sucker on there, pump it up to about 65 psi or so to seat it on the rim, bounce it up and down, and roughly look to see if its "balanced". Never had any issues. Some guys use the dyna beads...
I'm a bead user so no need for an official balance. They've worked well for me to this point.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #10382
edhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
"tech day" sounds like a winner to me.

Lots of little questions I have about bike maintenance, and the knowledge that some/most of you have is something I'll like to harvest.
edhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #10383
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhead View Post
"tech day" sounds like a winner to me.

Lots of little questions I have about bike maintenance, and the knowledge that some/most of you have is something I'll like to harvest.
Tech day sounds great...except nothing about your bikes would probably apply to a BMW!? .... Hell..Even the turn signals are screwed up!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #10384
Honda501
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Mine slide down to the street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Hell i can't hardly park my car in your driveway, let alone a bike.
I parked their once, in the snow/ice, to let the dogs out. Came out of the house and wondered how my Jeep ended up in the street.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #10385
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineTofive View Post
I would be up for a little "tech day" aka ummm beerfest if anything transpires. I don't know about mounting a tire on a v-strom and if you need to get it properly balanced or not. On my KLR and DR I just throw the sucker on there, pump it up to about 65 psi or so to seat it on the rim, bounce it up and down, and roughly look to see if its "balanced". Never had any issues. Some guys use the dyna beads...

Beerfest isn't me. You can BYOB to my place, but there won't be any available. I'm not anti alcohol, just not fond of combining it with riding or driving.

I have a tire changer a friend left at my place but I am not a huge fan of it, I typically just use irons. However, guys with nice bikes don't like scratches so I use the tire changer when I do theirs. A gravity balancer came with it but I have yet to use it.

I have both a small and big bike lifts as well as a 7' lift table.

Stu, I bought a YZ friendly valve spring tool.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #10386
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda501 View Post
I parked their once, in the snow/ice, to let the dogs out. Came out of the house and wondered how my Jeep ended up in the street.

A friend of mine at work pulled up a sloped drive, jumped out and accidently left his VW Rabbit in neutral when he ran up to get his little brother. When he cam back out, the Wabbit was gone, it was across the street in the neighbors yard.

After telling me the story, I went out at lunch and found his car unlocked so I slipped it in neutral and pushed it to the far corner of the lot. When he came out after work he went nuts thinking he did the same thing 2 days in a row.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #10387
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
A friend of mine at work pulled up a sloped drive, jumped out and accidently left his VW Rabbit in neutral when he ran up to get his little brother. When he cam back out, the Wabbit was gone, it was across the street in the neighbors yard.

After telling me the story, I went out at lunch and found his car unlocked so I slipped it in neutral and pushed it to the far corner of the lot. When he came out after work he went nuts thinking he did the same thing 2 days in a row.
If you have a manual transmission and a weak emergency brake my driveway is a free compression test. I have had several friends and delivery drivers go running for their vehicles as they slowly buck down my driveway while in gear.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 AM   #10388
nineTofive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
[QUOTE=mgorman;23945510]Beerfest isn't me. You can BYOB to my place, but there won't be any available. I'm not anti alcohol, just not fond of combining it with riding or driving.

I don't condone drinking and riding, I just like to enjoy a cold one while wrenching on the bike in the garage. Really, the beerfests are reserved for overnight trips when your all set up not going anywhere ;)

cheers
nineTofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #10389
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Quote:

So funny!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 AM   #10390
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Quote:
Beerfest isn't me. You can BYOB to my place, but there won't be any available. I'm not anti alcohol, just not fond of combining it with riding or driving.

I have a tire changer a friend left at my place but I am not a huge fan of it, I typically just use irons. However, guys with nice bikes don't like scratches so I use the tire changer when I do theirs. A gravity balancer came with it but I have yet to use it.
The father of one of my wife's best friends is living proof of ONE of the reasons that alcohol and motor vehicles (I'd say motorcycles, but let's face it, operating anything is really a bad idea). He was found dead (yes dead) with his motorcycle still in the middle of the road. He was 50 ft. from it. Riding alone, at night, less than a couple miles from his house. No sign of impact or dead animals or anything. Helmet destroyed. They revived him and now he's a quadriplegic.

On a different note... I'd be really happy if you'd be willing to show me the finer points of MC tire changing. I can't afford a changer so I'd be buying a good set of "hand tools" and balancing w/ beads. Let's see what comes of our little gathering.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #10391
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

FYI for those of the Christian faith, the end is near. Just sold an Orange KTM brand o-ring chain to a KLR owner and it wasn't the cheapest

(or the most expensive).

Michael

Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #10392
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
FYI for those of the Christian faith, the end is near. Just sold an Orange KTM brand o-ring chain to a KLR owner and it wasn't the cheapest

(or the most expensive).

Michael
Did you offer a free milk crate with purchase?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #10393
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
The father of one of my wife's best friends is living proof of ONE of the reasons that alcohol and motor vehicles (I'd say motorcycles, but let's face it, operating anything is really a bad idea). He was found dead (yes dead) with his motorcycle still in the middle of the road. He was 50 ft. from it. Riding alone, at night, less than a couple miles from his house. No sign of impact or dead animals or anything. Helmet destroyed. They revived him and now he's a quadriplegic.
Are you saying he was drunk?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #10394
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Are you saying he was drunk?
Lets just say he had been drinking and was known too very regularly. No tests were done at the accident scene due to the circumstances.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #10395
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
Lets just say he had been drinking and was known too very regularly. No tests were done at the accident scene due to the circumstances.
Well then it's a win-win.

Other motorists no longer have to be concerned with him killing them in a DUI crash; and he can stay at home and drink his Pabst through a straw to his little heart's content.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote