ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #10396
nineTofive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Damn, all of this drinking talk is getting me depressed.

How about a new topic of conversation

.....sportbikes
nineTofive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #10397
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Well then it's a win-win.

Other motorists no longer have to be concerned with him killing them in a DUI crash; and he can stay at home and drink his Pabst through a straw to his little heart's content.
I think the couple months he spend pretty much in a coma was kind of like involuntary rehab. Don't think he's had a drink since. His mind is amazingly clear but he's in rough shape. He's already lived longer than they projected he would. His son is an alcoholic too. Drives his kids to birthday parties smelling like alcohol. Pretty sad. You're right though even though it seems kind of harsh it's a blessing when the only one they hurt is themselves.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #10398
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,221
Rode to work this morning

My new Shoei Neotec is the shiznit! Pinlock insert, breath shield and chin curtain make a huge difference, my nose hardly ran at all...

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #10399
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

GT Air / Xd4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
My new Shoei Neotec is the shiznit! Pinlock insert, breath shield and chin curtain make a huge difference, my nose hardly ran at all...
Glad you like it. I thought long and hard about that one. Ended up buying a GT Air. Had tried them on multiple times and liked them. The one I got fit tight despite wearing it for hours and gave me a headache. Opened the pin lock insert and it was defective. Revzilla sent another one right away. Rode in it w/ the defective pinlock. Works well. Helmet would have been useless without it. It fogged so bad moisture was running down the sides of the shield outside the range of the pinlock on cold mornings. Didn't seem like a big deal until I went to leave for home in the afternoon and discovered that the flip down sun shield was apparently fogging up in it's little slot. There were water drip marks dried all over it when I flipped it down to head home in the sun and it had to be wiped off w/ a lens cloth before use. Seemed like it was going to be one of those things which was good in theory but not so good in reality at least for real cold weather riding. Helmet was SUPER quite though. Wasn't going to work for me.

Revzilla was gracious enough to take it back and I ended up with this which despite my hesitation at first I'm super happy with! A little cool in true cold weather but sure to be great in the heat. Peripheral vision is amazing. Was worried about the visor in the wind but ended up not being anything to worry about. Not much if any louder than my old RF1000. (I can't tell at least) Not quite as warm on these cold cold mornings as my chin just about froze off today but I've still got my old one for really early or late season riding.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #10400
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Well then it's a win-win.

Other motorists no longer have to be concerned with him killing them in a DUI crash; and he can stay at home and drink his Pabst through a straw to his little heart's content.
Dayam dude...All the compassion of a rock! ...and twice as cold
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #10401
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by nineTofive View Post
Damn, all of this drinking talk is getting me depressed.

How about a new topic of conversation

.....sportbikes
Is that Honda's new airbag system????
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #10402
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
He cares about the people who don't run around risking everyone else's well being. Having an aunt in the hospital and an uncle about to be buried thanks to someone under the influence who couldn't tell the difference between the entrance and exit ramp, I think his comments are pretty spot on.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #10403
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 466
+1 on that, if you gonna drink (which I don't have a problem with) DO NOT operate anything, makes life a whole lot better for the rest of us.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #10404
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Sorry, but i feel the same way. He knowingly rode drunk and was a hazard to himself and worse yet-others. It's a stupid decision much less other issues at hand to ride or drive drunk,tired,sick or on drugs. They all impair your judgement and make you a risk. Parking it,calling a cab,or waiting it out is the responsible thing. There's no excuse for any of it.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #10405
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Sorry, but i feel the same way. He knowingly rode drunk and was a hazard to himself and worse yet-others. It's a stupid decision much less other issues at hand to ride or drive drunk,tired,sick or on drugs. They all impair your judgement and make you a risk. Parking it,calling a cab,or waiting it out is the responsible thing. There's no excuse for any of it.
I agree with you guys. Harsh or not it's the truth. If there's one thing I've learned about people from working in the type of environment I do it's that there are an awful lot of what people call "functioning alcoholics" in this world. Some of them aren't that obvious. Plenty of them ride motorcycles and they almost all drive cars everyday. Their reality is permanently skewed. It's like the friend you had in college who was pretty much permanently stoned yet somehow managed to get straight A's and do everything you did as well or better. I don't understand it. Unfortunately, more times than not, it's the innocent who become the victims of other people addictions and bad decisions.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #10406
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 466
It's not only the drinking, the dumbasses who text and try to drive, stop and text all you want, just don't try to tell me you can do both, alot of the morons can't drive for shit anyway. Now we got states that think every things going to be A-OK that they legalized marijauna, I'm a product of the 60's and the 70's, this shits going to come home to roost and it won't be fun for a lot of people.

And yes it's the innocent that suffer the most, be it the family of the user in lost jobs and pay checks, or the victims in the pain and suffering caused by their stupid act.

I guess I'm just getting older, well old and have seen way too much of this shit, and know too many people that have gone thur it. Meef has a job I could never do, my hats off to any LEO, Fireman, EMT ect for the things these people have to go thur to do their job and save some dumbass who got themselves in the BS position they are in, let alone the people they have caused harm or problems to.

OK off my soap box,

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 PM   #10407
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,023
During my long stint working for the highway and traffic engineer, I had permanent access to all the crash data for Ohio.

As soon as there is a mc/car crash, the mc guys scream foul on the car driver

However, about60 to 70% of all those crashes I filtered out, were due to either alcohol, drugs, speed or a combination of any of the 3.

70% of those crashes were the fault of the motorcyclist being under the influence, the vast majority, the mc

That leaves about 35% to be decided between "I didn't see you", failing to yield to a traffic device, etc.

My friend was killed last summer by a drunk leaving her husband and 2 kids behind.

He wrote a later to the court asking her diving privileges be restored upon release from prison.

What she wrote back was in short, fuck you all and the rehab systems including AA

Fuck her, she can stay in prison

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #10408
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,472
Restored or rescinded?.

Sadly,she'll probably drive either way with or without license,insurance or sobriety. Some folks just don't give a shit about others.

It also disturbs me that alcohol is that prevalent in mc accidents.

Danjal screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 05:33 PM
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #10409
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,535
Did that go the way you thought it would, Q?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #10410
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Restored or rescinded?.

Sadly,she'll probably drive either way with or without license,insurance or sobriety. Some folks just don't give a shit about others
Sometimes for years. I have people I have used for grunt/cleanup type jobs for years (at least 15). They always drive to the job. Last summer we had to rent a panel truck for a large job. Turns out none of them had a license to be the driver. I guess they must not check for a license when you buy plates. All the vehicles had current plates when I checked.