ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #10411
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 408
OK, you guys got me going again,

Michael, yes we as a group (riders which includes all riders) are very guilty of the drinking and riding, it's more the pirate mind set, but it's there.

As for driving without a license, there are no teeth in the laws that do much more then a wrist slap, yea they will take your rights away but never enforce any more punishment then that. Last year when I went in to get the plates for the Tiger the guy at the BMV tells me just sign the form I don't care if you have insurance or not, I do not ever remember being asked for any proof to get plates, but that's the law. So we all pay for the uninsured. More BS !!!

Fire away I got some really, really thick skin, worked maintance in a steel mill for 38 yrs.

Done, (I think)

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #10412
OH_Wahoo
It's always time to

Oddometer: 158
When I was younger, i was a front seat passenger in a car that was hit head on by a drunk coming home from a wedding reception. He was so shit-faced he had no idea he where was or that he nearly killed the four of us in our car. Broken bones have healed but when i close my eyes I can still see those headlights just before impact.....and that was 40 years ago.

Over the years I have also lost several close friends to drunk drivers too.

So, personally, I think Meef was right on the money with his comments.
OH_Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #10413
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_Wahoo View Post
When I was younger, i was a front seat passenger in a car that was hit head on by a drunk coming home from a wedding reception.... ...Broken bones have healed but when i close my eyes I can still see those headlights just before impact.....and that was 40 years ago.

We were hit head on like that on the way to a BMX national, but the kid had fallen asleep driving home from college and went left of center, that could happen to any of us. I had turned my attention back to the road ahead after hearing something fall over in the bed. All I saw in the darkness was 2 headlights disappear under my truck bumper. DIdn't even get "OH SHI..." out before impact. It pushed my front wheel back under my seat. Luckily only the passenger in the other car suffered a broken wrist. Viktoria had some bruised ribs as well as other bumps and bruises. I bent the steering wheel over till I punched the dash.

I tried to race day 2 of the National but was in so much pain I'd go curl up somewhere and try to sleep it off between motos. I am lucky that I had no nightmares or anything like that, just felt like I had been in an all day motorcycle crash

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #10414
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
Fire away I got some really, really thick skin, worked maintenance in a steel mill for 38 yrs.

Dave

Wow, another mill hunk, which one did you work in? There is another mill hunk lurking about in this forum.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #10415
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 408
Timken's, Harrison and Gambrinus plants. First 15 yrs. as a journeyman, millwright, pipefitter, welder, rigger, crane repair, ect. Last 23 yrs. as a maintance supervisor, was in mobile equipment for about three yrs. including the rail road stuff, very interesting, wife was hourly and it let to some rather heated discusions at contract times.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:12 PM   #10416
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
We were hit head on like that on the way to a BMX national, but the kid had fallen asleep driving home from college and went left of center, that could happen to any of us. I had turned my attention back to the road ahead after hearing something fall over in the bed. All I saw in the darkness was 2 headlights disappear under my truck bumper. DIdn't even get "OH SHI..." out before impact. It pushed my front wheel back under my seat. Luckily only the passenger in the other car suffered a broken wrist. Viktoria had some bruised ribs as well as other bumps and bruises. I bent the steering wheel over till I punched the dash.

I tried to race day 2 of the National but was in so much pain I'd go curl up somewhere and try to sleep it off between motos. I am lucky that I had no nightmares or anything like that, just felt like I had been in an all day motorcycle crash
That's why I included driving tired in my original post on this. Ive seen more than one vehicle go off the road or into another. And its stupid. Pull over and take a nap. Better late than never.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #10417
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
Glad you like it. I thought long and hard about that one. Ended up buying a GT Air. Had tried them on multiple times and liked them. The one I got fit tight despite wearing it for hours and gave me a headache. Opened the pin lock insert and it was defective. Revzilla sent another one right away. Rode in it w/ the defective pinlock. Works well. Helmet would have been useless without it. It fogged so bad moisture was running down the sides of the shield outside the range of the pinlock on cold mornings. Didn't seem like a big deal until I went to leave for home in the afternoon and discovered that the flip down sun shield was apparently fogging up in it's little slot. There were water drip marks dried all over it when I flipped it down to head home in the sun and it had to be wiped off w/ a lens cloth before use. Seemed like it was going to be one of those things which was good in theory but not so good in reality at least for real cold weather riding. Helmet was SUPER quiet though. Wasn't going to work for me. ]
Wow, you must be a heavy breather, no problems like that for me. I've been looking for a modular for a couple years now. I love being able to lift that chin bar to let a hocker fly. No more swallowing those things for me. I am wondering how it will be in the rain with all the vents and all.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:10 AM   #10418
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Well then it's a win-win.

Other motorists no longer have to be concerned with him kiwas ng them in a DUI crash; and he can stay at home and drink his Pabst through a straw to his little heart's content.
I'm with the Curmudgeon on this one. I know a guy spending life in prison for killing a few kids after numerous DUI conviction. My asshole father was (and probably still is) the same type. Miraculously he never hurt anyone or himself, but as far as I know he still drives and one day might. Much better to hurt themselves, and all the better if they get to spend a lot of time in quiet reflection.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 AM   #10419
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Did that go the way you thought it would, Q?
Pretty much...People Love to throw stones.
I did not purport that I in any way supported drunk driving. I DID and still do think that was a very cold and insensitive statement. Whoever you're talking about is someone's dad, son, brother, whatever. Wishing ill on anyone is not appropriate here or anywhere else.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #10420
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Pull over and take a nap. Better late than never.
I did that on a trip west. I was woke up by the sound of a tractor trailer pulling in to park beside me. Forgot I was parked, woke up grabbing the steering wheel in terror. Of course the chain reaction caused my sleeping brother to experience the same adrenaline rush filled sweat inducing I think I shit myself moment.

Michael

Old 04-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #10421
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I did that on a trip west. I was woke up by the sound of a tractor trailer pulling in to park beside me. Forgot I was parked, woke up grabbing the steering wheel in terror. Of course the chain reaction caused my sleeping brother to experience the same adrenaline rush filled sweat inducing I think I shit myself moment.

Michael
Dude, when I was still living in Mt Gilead but driving to Uhrichsville for work (93 miles) every day, I took a nap quite often on my way home. On quite a few instances I would awaken with a start and realize I was behind the wheel, and start ripping it one way or the other while screaming. In the winter it was worse because I would leave the car running and that really made me think I was still motoring down the road since the gauges and lights were on. I'm pretty sure I took a few years of use off my heart from the subsequent blood pressure spikes and pulse quickening.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #10422
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman8 View Post
Pretty much...People Love to throw stones.
I did not purport that I in any way supported drunk driving. I DID and still do think that was a very cold and insensitive statement. Whoever you're talking about is someone's dad, son, brother, whatever. Wishing ill on anyone is not appropriate here or anywhere else.
Allow me to retort.

I've been a police officer for 18 years, and an EMT for 19.

As a municipal police officer, I see a fair number of DUI crashes although none has been fatal, due mostly to the lower speeds involved with 'in town' driving.

As an EMT - and I should stress as a part time EMT, meaning I do this about one day a week on average - I have seen probably 15 fatal DUI crashes and maybe 40-50 more severe injury DUI crashes over the years (my EMS agencies covering a larger area with more rural routes, interstates, etc). It's so many fatal and serious crashes that I can't give you an exact number, isn't that terrible? I have literally had to lie to patients as I treated and transported them to the hospital, when they would plead with me to tell them how their husband or girlfriend who had been sitting in the car next to them was doing. I knew damn well their loved one was dead, but how do you tell that to someone who is already in the middle of a major medical emergency of their own? "I don't know" became the best answer I could muster.

It got to become a relief when the only person killed was the drunk, because even if they had a family and were an otherwise decent person, they did it to themselves and by nature of that, they had it coming. Their families, if they had any grasp on reality, already had thought about the possibility of dad getting croaked in a crash of his own causing and had kind of come to terms with the event despite it not having happened yet. On many instances while we'd be waiting on the coroner to arrive, family would show up, obviously distraught; but always with some innate sense of understanding that "this was bound to happen".

When I got hit by a drunk driver on duty in 2012, she ended up testing over 0.20. Her family and co-workers were all like: "Well, this has been a long time coming, surprised it hasn't happened sooner".

On the law enforcement side of the coin, I make a fair number of DUI arrests, mostly from traffic stops and not from crashes. I wold bet that 90% of the drunks I arrest think of it as an inconvenience and not a life lesson. They have no intention of modifying their behavior, except maybe next time they will do a walk around inspection on their car before they leave the bar, to make sure the cops can't pull them over because of a broken headlight.

In Tusc County, we can't even jail DUI drivers when we arrest them; we process them and issue a citation, and release them to a sober party.

There's also a overwhelming sense within the court system that DUI is somehow a minor traffic infraction, and not a major criminal violation. It's at minimum a first degree misdemeanor, which carries 6 months in jail, but DUIs never get that. Suspended jail time, a license suspension, and a fine are typical sentences. Oh, and "probation" for a year or two, where they have to agree not to drink, yet when we catch them in a bar, the court does nothing with them and does not impose any of the previously suspended sanctions.

The court's interpretation of the law is also skewered dramatically in favor of the DUI driver. Sit down and read the NHTSA manual that spells out how to conduct a field sobriety test. Now, go and do that, exactly, verbatim, no deviation from it at all... while you are on the side of the road at 2:00 am, dealing with a belligerent asshole and his 3 drunk friends, by yourself. You better do it exactly, because if you don't, your tests get thrown out and the DUI most likely will not be convicted. I recently had nystagmus test (the pen / eye test, basically) thrown out as evidence because I moved the pen 1/2 second too quickly. 1/2 second, I shit you not. I had to sit in court and watch the video 20 times over and over while the defense attorney held a stopwatch up and timed my actions depicted in the video. End result, the guy was not convicted of DUI, despite his breath test of over 0.15. When I worked in Morrow County, the judge would dismiss DUI violations that started as an equipment defect stop. In other words, if I stopped a guy for speeding and he was drunk, the case would fly with the judge because the speed was corroborating evidence of the drunkeness. If I stopped a guy for one headlight and he was drunk, the headlight violation, though illegal, did not help sustain the suspicion that the driver was DUI and so, even with great field sobriety tests and a solid breath test, the judge would often dismiss.

In summary, then, Quince; let me say this: Drunk driving is a menace, and innocent people are killed by drunk drivers. The court system seems unwilling to put the hammer down, and even the families of these drunks recognize that some form of ultimate justice will prevail eventually. So, I ask, who the fuck are you to question my thought process or my personal experience in dealing with DUIs, or the collective opinion of the rest of the NEO thread that has responded thus far? (Answer: you're nobody)

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #10423
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip View Post
Wow, you must be a heavy breather
Yeah, well, maybe... Who knows. It fogged so much that it would have been useless w/out the pin lock. Of course the pin lock did keep it from fogging w/ the visor closed in 25 degree weather w/ only the tail vent open. Pretty impressive. The problem I had was if you wanted to crack the visor the first notch was almost a half inch up and you were looking through the rim on the insert. It worked great and I would have been all over it had it fit right and had a tinted visor available. I could take or leave the flip down sun visor. It's a good idea but the fact that it fogged and marked all up when not in use was the deal breaker. Who wants to wipe the thing down after every cold ride? My RF1000 didn't fog that much and would clear up immediately if cracked open. I think the thing was just sealed too tight. It was quiet!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #10424
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Allow me to retort.

I've been a police officer for 18 years, and an EMT for 19.

As a municipal police officer, I see a fair number of DUI crashes although none has been fatal, due mostly to the lower speeds involved with 'in town' driving.

As an EMT - and I should stress as a part time EMT, meaning I do this about one day a week on average - I have seen probably 15 fatal DUI crashes and maybe 40-50 more severe injury DUI crashes over the years (my EMS agencies covering a larger area with more rural routes, interstates, etc). It's so many fatal and serious crashes that I can't give you an exact number, isn't that terrible? I have literally had to lie to patients as I treated and transported them to the hospital, when they would plead with me to tell them how their husband or girlfriend who had been sitting in the car next to them was doing. I knew damn well their loved one was dead, but how do you tell that to someone who is already in the middle of a major medical emergency of their own? "I don't know" became the best answer I could muster.

It got to become a relief when the only person killed was the drunk, because even if they had a family and were an otherwise decent person, they did it to themselves and by nature of that, they had it coming. Their families, if they had any grasp on reality, already had thought about the possibility of dad getting croaked in a crash of his own causing and had kind of come to terms with the event despite it not having happened yet. On many instances while we'd be waiting on the coroner to arrive, family would show up, obviously distraught; but always with some innate sense of understanding that "this was bound to happen".

When I got hit by a drunk driver on duty in 2012, she ended up testing over 0.20. Her family and co-workers were all like: "Well, this has been a long time coming, surprised it hasn't happened sooner".

On the law enforcement side of the coin, I make a fair number of DUI arrests, mostly from traffic stops and not from crashes. I wold bet that 90% of the drunks I arrest think of it as an inconvenience and not a life lesson. They have no intention of modifying their behavior, except maybe next time they will do a walk around inspection on their car before they leave the bar, to make sure the cops can't pull them over because of a broken headlight.

In Tusc County, we can't even jail DUI drivers when we arrest them; we process them and issue a citation, and release them to a sober party.

There's also a overwhelming sense within the court system that DUI is somehow a minor traffic infraction, and not a major criminal violation. It's at minimum a first degree misdemeanor, which carries 6 months in jail, but DUIs never get that. Suspended jail time, a license suspension, and a fine are typical sentences. Oh, and "probation" for a year or two, where they have to agree not to drink, yet when we catch them in a bar, the court does nothing with them and does not impose any of the previously suspended sanctions.

The court's interpretation of the law is also skewered dramatically in favor of the DUI driver. Sit down and read the NHTSA manual that spells out how to conduct a field sobriety test. Now, go and do that, exactly, verbatim, no deviation from it at all... while you are on the side of the road at 2:00 am, dealing with a belligerent asshole and his 3 drunk friends, by yourself. You better do it exactly, because if you don't, your tests get thrown out and the DUI most likely will not be convicted. I recently had nystagmus test (the pen / eye test, basically) thrown out as evidence because I moved the pen 1/2 second too quickly. 1/2 second, I shit you not. I had to sit in court and watch the video 20 times over and over while the defense attorney held a stopwatch up and timed my actions depicted in the video. End result, the guy was not convicted of DUI, despite his breath test of over 0.15. When I worked in Morrow County, the judge would dismiss DUI violations that started as an equipment defect stop. In other words, if I stopped a guy for speeding and he was drunk, the case would fly with the judge because the speed was corroborating evidence of the drunkeness. If I stopped a guy for one headlight and he was drunk, the headlight violation, though illegal, did not help sustain the suspicion that the driver was DUI and so, even with great field sobriety tests and a solid breath test, the judge would often dismiss.

In summary, then, Quince; let me say this: Drunk driving is a menace, and innocent people are killed by drunk drivers. The court system seems unwilling to put the hammer down, and even the families of these drunks recognize that some form of ultimate justice will prevail eventually. So, I ask, who the fuck are you to question my thought process or my personal experience in dealing with DUIs, or the collective opinion of the rest of the NEO thread that has responded thus far? (Answer: you're nobody)
Wow...My statement had absolutely NOTHING to do with DUI, drunk driving or anything relating to the matter. My initial statement was really intended as a light-hearted jab at yours. I dont disagree with anything you say above, or your opinion. There is no reason to think that I am countering you on any statement.

I make fun of people as much as the next guy, and I condemn others actions, but I do not condemn the person, for an instant, nor for the rest of his life. This is my only point. Sorry for any confusion. I feel really bad that people may have taken this the wrong way...like I was supporting the guy's actions. Can we move on to motorcycles now?
Nobody????? Wow......tell that to the IRS!
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #10425
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsride365 View Post
Yeah, well, maybe... Who knows. It fogged so much that it would have been useless w/out the pin lock. Of course the pin lock did keep it from fogging w/ the visor closed in 25 degree weather w/ only the tail vent open. Pretty impressive. The problem I had was if you wanted to crack the visor the first notch was almost a half inch up and you were looking through the rim on the insert. It worked great and I would have been all over it had it fit right and had a tinted visor available. I could take or leave the flip down sun visor. It's a good idea but the fact that it fogged and marked all up when not in use was the deal breaker. Who wants to wipe the thing down after every cold ride? My RF1000 didn't fog that much and would clear up immediately if cracked open. I think the thing was just sealed too tight. It was quiet!
Yeah, so far the only thing I dislike about the helmet (aside from the $$$)
is the first detent for cracking the visor is too far open.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote