ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,039
WI Trail Riders - Comment to DNR

Public hearings and comment period are underway for proposal to establish trail in one of the state forests.

It would be good for our off-road interests for people to comment (can be done on-line) in favor of this proposal.

DNR Comment and Hearing Info

Input URL
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
mogwai
humorless prick

Oddometer: 4,277
Point of clarification

This proposal is for ATV trail. Dirt bikes are not necessarily allowed. Dual sports have access to many trails already, where 4wd pickups can travel.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogwai
Point of clarification

This proposal is for ATV trail. Dirt bikes are not necessarily allowed. Dual sports have access to many trails already, where 4wd pickups can travel.

That is one example of why public comments are important. Be sure to comment that it is important to you to have motorcycle access to this trail.

Edit:
Completed the quick and easy on-line survey. Read the downloadable booklet first. Added comments highlighting that it was important to ensure access by motorcycles as well.

It is important to make remarks supporting this trail. There appears to be a significant "anti" contingent afoot so it is important to support motorized trails of any sort to retain the potential for more trails to be developed. From the looks of the proposal, it should be no problem for dual sport motorcycles to benefit from this. The potential for unlicensed bikes faces the same old problems where ATV routes are allowed on roads but unlicensed motorcycles are not.

Take ten minutes to work through this thing and offer some supportive feedback for motorized trails. It will benefit us in the end.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 09-11-2007 at 05:06 PM
Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
little john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,032
just my .02 worth , but a trail for one group is better than "leave your noisey shit at home and walk in only"! Hey I'm all for wild places, but not every square foot of USFS property needs to be shut off from the folks that "own " it. Hey it's right on their signs ----U.S. ok off that soap box on to another!
little john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by little john
just my .02 worth , but a trail for one group is better than "leave your noisey shit at home and walk in only"! Hey I'm all for wild places, but not every square foot of USFS property needs to be shut off from the folks that "own " it. Hey it's right on their signs ----U.S. ok off that soap box on to another!
John highlights a couple of key points. Right now some "silent sports" types are trying to exclude motor sports people from sharing public lands. We all know that with proper planning there is plenty of land in this particular state forest (and many others) to accommodate all of our interests without interfering with each other's recreational preferences.

As he says, it is important to support motorized trail for any group rather than to let a proposal be significantly curtailed or even defeated. Something like that can hold us back for future development of off-road opportunities.

These public comment periods often carry huge weight in the decision making process. Please take a moment to give your on-line input in support of the motorized trails in this proposal. (Don't forget to mention your interest in sharing with motorcycles as well.)

No doubt, some people will say "yeah, that is a good idea" but then will never get around to actually keying in their comments. Maybe it would be useful to post a brief remark here once you have submitted your input as encouragement for more people to follow through.

Thanks in advance for being active citizens and for trying to improve our posture with regard to trail opportunities.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Hoopjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I live in the area and can tell you it faces a huge uphill battle to get the trail approved. Why?

3 or 4 years ago, a different 4 wheeler trail was proposed and a public vote on it took place. It went down in flames on election day with over 60% voting against it.
I know one of the "ringleaders" in the camp of those opposed. His reason for being against it: "4 wheelers would bring an end to the peace & tranquility of the Northwoods".
I've known this guy for about 15 years and always thought him to be a reasonable person. On the 4 wheeler trail issue, he's not budging an inch. You see, he lives on one of the lakes in the area, and his house is very close to public land, which conceivably, could become an ATV trail. Definitely a NIMY (not in my back yard) response.
He doesn't want to see his house, purchased in 1974 for $35,000, currently worth somewhere in the $250,000 - $300,000 category.....lose a nickel of its value.
He is under the impression that the NOISE from ATV's will ruin the serenity of the Northwoods and devalue his house.

For the record, this area has many many existing snowmobile trails that currently crisscross the area. The sound of unbaffled/exhaust modified snowmobiles is a constant sound when we have enough snow in this area. But, being winter, few people linger outside for great lengths of time. And in this area anyhow, snowmobilers are notorious drunks .

With Eagle River, WI, being the snowmobile capital of the world, the economy is tied greatly to putting up with drunken snowmobilers .

Unfortunately, many many people see ATV operators in the same vein at snowmobilers. A bunch of drunks that simply quaff down a few drinks before racing to the next bar on the trail.

I plan to attend the public hearing in St Germain next Tuesday and voice my approval for the trails. I don't think the trail will become reality, but at least one can put in some effort.
Hoopjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopjohn
I plan to attend the public hearing in St Germain next Tuesday and voice my approval for the trails. I don't think the trail will become reality, but at least one can put in some effort.
I recall the local county-wide referendum several years back. It was a real set-back. This time the citizens of influence for the proposal are also derived from beyond the local county since it is a State Forest we are dealing with and not a local government referendum. There are some powerful local groups purporting their own interests that may not align with ours. That is why it is so important to submit positive input from all across the state. Attending the hearings and offering formally recorded comments is great! I'll bet these three hearings will be pre-loaded with the special interest reps though. (Although everyone gets a chance to speak as an individual if they want to.)

Thanks for highlighting why it is so important for people to follow through and offer their comments on line in support of these motorized trails! In this case, it is not just another routine hearing and comment period.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,308
Jump on the website and follow the instructions..
It took minutes and all help is encouraged and needed..

Even cheap KLR riders like to ride in the woods, you know..
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
I filled out the survey as well. Where it asked what my interst was (not being a business or landowner) I added "Outdoor recreational vehicle operator"

There was a public meeting in Fond du Lac for a closed course to be built on private land. They were looking for a zoning change to allow it IIRC. It was shot down strictly on the noise principle. They even invited riders from all over the state to come and invited land owners to watch/listen. Even though all the bikes/quads met the 95Db limit, the surrounding landowners still said they were too loud.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
took the time...
stressed outdoor family recreation and also adding to the local tourism business
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

While you are at it . . .

While you are at it, throw a "yes" vote on the survey on the left side of the www.wisconsinoutdoornews.com home page. Even though the question asks about ATV trails in state forests, the issue is much bigger. If public opinion goes against ATV trails, what chance do motorcycles have?

Normally a survey like this is not that important. In this case, the "anti" segment wants to load it up to use as an point of argument to resist motorized trails. Taking 15 seconds to vote "yes" would be beneficial.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,949
WE ALL must put in some support for this. Even though you may not live close to this area or ride ATVs, ATV/ Snowmobile trails are the backbone and starting point for us Dual Sport riders.

Thank You Cannonshot for the heads up.
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #13
rolo tomassi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Public hearings and comment period are underway for proposal to establish trail in one of the state forests.

It would be good for our off-road interests for people to comment (can be done on-line) in favor of this proposal.

DNR Comment and Hearing Info

Input URL
Thanks for the heads up. I love how these meetings for input are always on a weekday evening. I can now fill out the online questionaire w/o burning a drop o gas. Thanks again Canon...
rolo tomassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
WIthumper
The 610 guy

Oddometer: 210
Completed Survey!

Just got done completed the DNR survey. Thanks Bryan for bringing this to our attention. I would have never have known with out your callout.
WIthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
Skinner
Mr.KTM

Oddometer: 5,558
Done! Easy way to do my part.

You recognize your friends by the sound of their mufflers.
http://www.meetup.com/Chicagoland-Du...torcycle-Club/
www.jimstarwaltteam.com
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote