User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
CalebTheBarbarian OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
top speed of 200-250cc dual-sports

Just wondering how fast people could go on their 200-250cc bikes... I'm thinking of using one for commuting, but am not sure how suitable they would be.

I guess more important than absolute top speed would be top speed that people feel comfortable riding them at (engine isn't red-lining, wind isn't throwing them all over, etc)

Not sure if it matters, but I weigh about 165lbs

thanks very much!
caleb
CalebTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
jj650
dual sport junky

Oddometer: 11
I just purchased a DR 250 and have logged about 400 miles in a couple weeks, mostly commuting to work (17 miles). with stock gearing it revs about 7200rpm @ 52mph. I take country roads so 50-55 is all the faster I need to ride. I love this bike! it is smooth, not as vibration prone as my KLR 650 at the same speed. however, going from a heavy KLR 650 to this air cooled 250 was a big change in how it rides. wind has more effect, movements are easier but faster, but it rides great at these speeds. I am waiting for my 15 tooth front sprocket to get here to see if I like the rpms a little better. these are made to rev high though. right now, stock I wouldn't feel comfortable going out on the expressway and running 65+ like I could on the KLR. these are two different dual sports though.
jj650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #3
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,669
I had a Yamaha XT225 that would easily do 70. That said, I didn't want to take it on the Interstate. It was way too light weight.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
T125
Slightly Overdressed

Oddometer: 278
Hi, Caleb:

I have a Kawi Super Sherpa (250cc) which is an absolutely fantastic commuter. On surface streets it is in its element: It's nimble, more than quick enough, and gets nearly 60mpg in almost pure stop and go traffic.

There are a few short squirts of highway that I can include or not on my route. I am completely comfortable doing up to 65mph there. The bike will do better but--at least in my experience--above 65 the wind blast starts to get a little "blustery" and the steering starts to lighten. The engine is capable, but the bike has so little mass it starts to feel like its going to get airborne. (At 5'8" 165#, I don't help a lot in the mass department!)

I am running the stock Trailwing DOT knobbies (old pattern) and wonder if a more street oriented tire might help the bike feel more planted at highway speeds. Regardless, when I replace the Wings I'll go with another 50/50 tire because I like having the versatility.

In short, a 250cc DS thumper is a fantastically versatile bike. As somebody once told me, if they could carry big loads and do highway all day, no one would ride the big pigs!

Good luck.
T125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by T125
Hi, Caleb:

I have a Kawi Super Sherpa (250cc) which is an absolutely fantastic commuter. On surface streets it is in its element: It's nimble, more than quick enough, and gets nearly 60mpg in almost pure stop and go traffic.

There are a few short squirts of highway that I can include or not on my route. I am completely comfortable doing up to 65mph there. The bike will do better but--at least in my experience--above 65 the wind blast starts to get a little "blustery" and the steering starts to lighten. The engine is capable, but the bike has so little mass it starts to feel like its going to get airborne. (At 5'8" 165#, I don't help a lot in the mass department!)

I am running the stock Trailwing DOT knobbies (old pattern) and wonder if a more street oriented tire might help the bike feel more planted at highway speeds. Regardless, when I replace the Wings I'll go with another 50/50 tire because I like having the versatility.

In short, a 250cc DS thumper is a fantastically versatile bike. As somebody once told me, if they could carry big loads and do highway all day, no one would ride the big pigs!

Good luck.
Seriously pondering a TW200 just for the fun of it. Heck, my wife could learn on it I suppose (good excuse).
Old 09-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebTheBarbarian
Just wondering how fast people could go on their 200-250cc bikes... I'm thinking of using one for commuting, but am not sure how suitable they would be.

I guess more important than absolute top speed would be top speed that people feel comfortable riding them at (engine isn't red-lining, wind isn't throwing them all over, etc)

Not sure if it matters, but I weigh about 165lbs

thanks very much!
caleb
I commute to work on my DR200. Depends on how far you go on your commute. It feels okay running it at 60mph for good distances. It doesn't feel right above that...too much rpm's, although I did ride it about 50 miles down I94 in western North Dakota once at 65-70 mph with no ill effects.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
bullfrog
Dismember

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_pig70
Seriously pondering a TW200 just for the fun of it. Heck, my wife could learn on it I suppose (good excuse).
my wife LOVES her tw200...it does pretty good under 60mph with stock gearing and is a BLAST in the dirt....

she won't let me ride it much, though....she says i'm too big and might break something...

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #8
CalebTheBarbarian OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the reply's guys... looks like one of these "smaller" bikes may work out pretty well. This would be my first bike, and I'm not really confident about the bigger bores, maybe in a year or two when I get some experience.
CalebTheBarbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog
my wife LOVES her tw200...it does pretty good under 60mph with stock gearing and is a BLAST in the dirt....

she won't let me ride it much, though....she says i'm too big and might break something...

I've seen your post before bullfrog. How is the TW200 in advanced/technical single-track (mountains)? I got tired of pushing my DRZ400S up that stuff. Want to get a smaller/goat bike and then perhaps add a KTM 690HE down the road (or cheap out and get a DR650).
Old 09-12-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,389
I've only hit 80 once on my TE-250, and that was on the road. I hadn't run out of RPMs yet. With 15/48 gearing (stock 13/50), it would easily do 100.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebTheBarbarian
Thanks for the reply's guys... looks like one of these "smaller" bikes may work out pretty well. This would be my first bike, and I'm not really confident about the bigger bores, maybe in a year or two when I get some experience.
Here's my favorite 250-class bike right now. The Yamaha XT250.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...oup=M|&LANG=en

Shucks, it looks so good that you might want to keep it as you become more experienced. I know I want one.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
My DR200SE seems like it gets a bit buzzy above about 55 or so.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
I've only hit 80 once on my TE-250, and that was on the road. I hadn't run out of RPMs yet. With 15/48 gearing (stock 13/50), it would easily do 100.
That's booking for a 200, my Buddies WR250F which likely makes comparable power hits a wall about 72-73 on the gps. It might pull gearing to let it hit 80. Are you getting this speed on gps, or using the speedo? At an indicated 80 most dirtbikes are around low 70s with your typical 10% optimism.

I'd be REAL surprised to see a TE250 hit a 100 on flat ground with no wind.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
My 2005 Yamaha TT-R250 will easily hit 70 to 75mph on the street but that just an estimate. I've never clocked it with another bike or used the GPS on it. I have a buddy that has a 2006 Lifan GY-5 with a 197cc engine and we have clocked his bike at 72 mph with my KTM 950 along side. The Yamaha is faster than the Lifan so my estimate may be low. The Yamaha also has the stock off-road gearing but it does have a 6-speed transmission. With a smaller 42 tooth sprocket it would probably be close to 100mph. As soon as it's plated I'll pull out the GPS and check it.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM   #15
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,892
Cycle World magazine did a fuel economy comparison in the February 2006 issue and included a couple of small dual sports, the Suzuki DR200 and the Yamaha TW200. The Suzuki topped out at 75 and the Yamaha at 71. That's measured, not indicated. Alan Girdler said the Suzuki was comfortable up to about 60. The TW, with its radically low gearing, hits redline at 55.

I used to do 40 mile stretches of highway on my Honda TL250 trials bike every weekend. I didn't have any trouble keeping up with the traffic (in the days of the 55 mph limit) or find the vibration bothersome. My gearing was radically altered though. The rear sprocket was about the smallest that would still fit the bolt pattern on the hub.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote