User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 06:41 AM   #1
g1_ OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
South Africa to Egypt on 2 Honda XR125's

Myself and my wife have been planning this trip for around about a year. This thread is probably over due as we're already a few weeks into our trip.

We're planning on taking our XR's up the east side of Africa. We've put aside 12 months for this trip. I'll try to keep this thread up-to-date with how we're getting on.

For now just some content to wet the appetite. More to follow :)

Ready to leave East London, South Africa:

First campsite (Baviaanskloof):

Baviaanskloof:

In the studio in Cape Town:

Getting the nice white studio a little dirtier:

Leaving Cape Town, heading towards Mozam:

Back in East London for a weekend. Relieved to have our carnet documents:
g1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
g1_ OP
Adventurer

Mrs G1's blog update:

Quote:
Finally we are on the road! After a week of packing up our flat, selling things and throwing away whilst finishing up at work as well it was a relief to arrive at my parents. It was starting to sink in, the reality that we are leaving everything behind and going into the unknown. However there was still little time to think about it as there was so much admin to get through. Between innoculations, motorbike lisence tests, photo copying documents, applying for carnets, packing up belongings and sorting through equipment there was little time to think. But Thursday 5 March finally did arrive and though there was some last minute admin to finalise we got on the road at 11AM to Port Elizabeth. Freedom….

Riding to PE was pretty hard work with strong winds pulling at the bikes but we were rewarded in the following days with some spectacular riding.
From PE we headed along the R102 towards Patensie which is the start of the Baviaanskloof. Baviaanskloof is known for its rough roads, steep mountain passes and water crossings. It was spectacular. I was nervous to start not having done much off road riding and with the bikes being quite heavily loaded but it proved to be manageable. The only minor tumble occurred when I dropped my bike in a river crossing. Luckily she started up fine again and I came off unscathed. Fun.

The first minor disaster struck when Jeff hit a rather large pothole and the lock that bolts his top box sheared off and the top box went flying. Luckily nothing inside was damaged. After fiddling around the lock was removed and the box was tied to the bike with two cable ties. This botch job worked remarkably well. The top box made it all the way to Cape Town in this fashion.

After leaving the Baviaanskloof we headed fot Prince Albert via Willomore and then on to Montagu. We saw some beautiful scenery, had some fun riding and thoroughly tested our bikes.

It was a really good time to see how everything fits together and to test out what is needed and what not. We apparently forgot to pack cutlery and had to borrow some from fellow campers and eat spagetti with our hands before buying some from a china shop in Prince Albert. On the up side everything else appeared to work and camping was great. We managed a fairly varied diet on our R100 per day food budget which included chicken braai, spaghetti with chakalaka and good old boerewors rolls as well as lots of peanut butter.

Its great to be in Cape Town now and start off work on the documentary. Although it does seem that admin managed to tag along in one of our panniers from East London….
Old 03-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #3
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,486
Looking forward to this!! Subscribed!!

Tahoe
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,906
That's quite the adventure you have planned. I have friends in Egypt and they say the security situation isn't very good. Best of luck and thanks for taking us along
Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Roland44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
That's quite the adventure you have planned. I have friends in Egypt and they say the security situation isn't very good. Best of luck and thanks for taking us along
I have family living in Egypt. There is no security.

Great report though, subscribed!
Roland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 AM   #6
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,310
Little bikes

I am curious to hear your experience with these little bikes and camping gear. I have a ride in Zambia coming in late June and we will be on Jialing 150s. I've done trips on my little TW200 with no problems before - but these are smaller yet. After similar trips on the big GS, I appreciate the low weight of these little guys.

Any practical problems with such small engines?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 779
I'm in. I love these small bike tours.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Johnnydarock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Looking forward to following along on this adventure.
Johnnydarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 463
Talking

Go the tiddlers.........!

Will be following along

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM   #10
g1_ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yeah, we're keeping a close eye on Egypt amongst other areas. Northern Kenya is also a problem!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #11
g1_ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I am curious to hear your experience with these little bikes and camping gear. I have a ride in Zambia coming in late June and we will be on Jialing 150s. I've done trips on my little TW200 with no problems before - but these are smaller yet. After similar trips on the big GS, I appreciate the low weight of these little guys.

Any practical problems with such small engines?
So far so good! Not very happy on fast roads especially if there is some wind. My wife gets higher speeds and better fuel economy but for me the bike is comfortable at 80kph. It will get to 120kph on occasion but I'd rather spare the engine.

Off road they have worked well. I'm riding with me wife who isn't very confident off road, so we make pretty slow progress. We road some technical roads in Baviaanskloof and some even more difficult "roads" in the Transkei region of South Africa. The road was basically a donkey trail with bad ruts. Went down this difficult valley only to be greeted by a collapsed bridge. We were able to get across though.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #12
g1_ OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the interest. There is some riding from Baviaanskloof in the video below:

Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #13
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Loved the intro to your video.
Will be following along as you ride north.
Enjoy every second.
Jörg.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #14
Osadabwa
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 262
Thumb See you in Nairobi?

Hey guys,

Look me up when you pass through NBO. I should have current security info for Kenya and can (work/family permitting) take you (or direct you) on a nice off-road jaunt up a local volcano or something. For that matter, give me a shout if you want some small track riding in Tanzania, where I lived for 5 years... I have GPS tracks of some awesome rides (including a loop around Kili and alternative routs to Moshi from Dar).

I'll try to follow along, but PM me when you get close and lets see what we can work out. (offer open to all ADVers)

Have fun!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:04 AM   #15
g1_ OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osadabwa View Post
Hey guys,

Look me up when you pass through NBO. I should have current security info for Kenya and can (work/family permitting) take you (or direct you) on a nice off-road jaunt up a local volcano or something. For that matter, give me a shout if you want some small track riding in Tanzania, where I lived for 5 years... I have GPS tracks of some awesome rides (including a loop around Kili and alternative routs to Moshi from Dar).

I'll try to follow along, but PM me when you get close and lets see what we can work out. (offer open to all ADVers)

Have fun!
Thanks for the offer. My wife's ears pricked up at the mention of a volcano. She's a geologist by trade. Where abouts is NBO?