Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #46
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
Here's a Google Earth snapshot of my route. I'll post all my tracks over at GPSexchange if anyone wants 'em.
Thanks!! I'd love to have the tracks!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #47
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
I'd love to have the tracks!
Me too.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #48
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Posted here, edited and un-edited forms.

http://www.gpsxchange.com/

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 AM   #49
Buck Nasty
Rhinestone Cowboy

Oddometer: 215
What was your mean elevation on this trip? Stay away in winter?

*2004 DRZ400S
www.benddualsport.com
*Honorary member of Team Oatmeal Pie!
My first mega ride..."Slabtastic Voyage"
Buck Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #50
ST4Fun
Proud to be an Infidel

Oddometer: 98
Damn...thats some desolation out there, beautiful.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #51
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Nasty
What was your mean elevation on this trip? Stay away in winter?
Well Reno is about 4500' and Pahrump is about 2500'. Outside of Hawthorne I got up to 9500'. I think for a good majority of the ride I was at 5000' plus. Northern Nevada can get snow just about any place although it doesn't happen super often so I would not recommend this route in the winter. Plus, a lot of southern NV is low lying playa and such and is a bitch when wet. More to come on that...

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 09-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #52
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

Okay, game on. UPS just delivered my boxes from Pahrump and I'm loading the pics of the return trip as we speak.

Let me just say before I start again that I could not be happier with my DRZ. It didn't even hiccup during this whole, close to 1000 mile, adventure. And most of the time I was running regular gasoline instead of high octane. What a machine!

Here we go. This was Friday afternoon. Not looking good for a Saturday morning departure.

The Vegas area got more rain out of this storm than they had pretty much all year. Luckily the sun was out Saturday morning but my route was going to have to be altered due to too many low-lying washes and playas on my intended that would pretty much be sucking today.

Bye bye...

more...

Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #53
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

Slabbing was going to be the name of the game much of today, but I just couldn't pass up a dirt road heading in the right direction...

Heading towards Crystal:

More racecourse:

Hmmm...

Rode the old Amargosa wagon road or whatever it's called (I think it was a elevated, wooden plank road long ago) but this is what I kept running into:

I finally cut down under this barbed wire and hit 95, which I was paralleling and was literally a stones throw away.

My goal for the day was Tonopah and it was a long ways off yet. Quite a ways up Hwy 95 I found my turnoff towards the dunes.

The sand was nice and firm from the rain.

I was half tempted to rip up to the top of the dune, but didn't.

After passing thru the dunes I somehow avoided all the racecourse and ended up on a powerline road that was fast and fun. Pretty much took me to the front door of the Ensenada in Beatty for this:

I highly recommend this place. Big portions and fairly cheap. South end of town in beautiful Beatty, NV.

Onward... some slabbage, then a turnoff heading northwest.

Guess what. More racecourse. This would be the hardest part of the day.

I tried to ride alongside the course as much as possible, following some old m/c tracks.

Everything was soft and slimy out here and I was losing elevation as I traveled west.

At one point I was riding in the track and tried to hop out out of it to avoid the water and I spun out. Managed to stay upright too. Bonus!

That was supposed to be my route out there...

After my spin-out I noticed the front tire looked low. Sunuvabitch... see the splinter?

So much for Moose hd tubes. And D952 fronts. The low pressure was probably helping me thru the mud however.
Popped across the highway to this nifty little place and fixed it.

Took my time this go around and didn't pinch the tube like the last one. I was however pretty low pressure as I was trying to conserve CO2 cartridges so I slabbed it into Goldfield from here rather than taking the dirt.

more...

Old 09-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #54
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

In Goldfield I was needing some air and a Mountain Dew to keep the caffeine buzz going. I stopped in at the General Store where I had stopped on the way down. The owner, Linda, hooked me up. Went to her house where her husband was and got some air. He was also trying to sell me his son's Honda Rebel 250. I passed. But thanks for the air Brian!

Back to the dirt.

This is 7300' above Goldfield, near the Brewster mine. Looking down on the town of Silver Peak.

Looking back towards Goldfield.

Down the hill to the Silver Peak road where I made a right towards Tonopah and the Paymaster Canyon. Little monkey dunes out in the distance.

Anyone wanna lay some tile?

Fun canyon...

Turnoff towards Tonopah. Man there is some riding to be had around here. Saw numerous singletrack thru the sagebrush that I was just itchin' to try out, but it was chilly and I had decided to hotel it tonight instead of camping.

Home sweet dive...

No, it wasn't really that bad, except for their snale like Wi-Fi connection. Went down the street for some more Mexican food (why break the streak huh?) and caught some UFC fighting on PPV.

Next morning...

Yes, I did manage to get the bike thru that door and into my room for the night.

more...

Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #55
CorkyC
SURVIVOR

Oddometer: 21
Pretty freakin awesome ride, Bruddah..

I love that country. I'm a gonna get your gps file and check some of that. out

GREAT FOTO"S!!!

Thanks!

Corky

In Baja
XR650r
Yamaha Warrior ATV
CorkyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #56
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

Thanks Corky.

I forgot a picture from this particular leg...

Sometimes the trails in these canyons would come to what seemed like an abrupt end, but lo and behold you pop up and over these things and by God there is a trail on the other side!

Tonopah to Hawthorne later...

Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #57
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Cool trip and pictures Brad, where is the rocky trail in your first picture? Your trip took you through some nice areas but I would recommend coming back and staying a while as you just scratched the surface of some great/scenic trails.

Was out riding by Flying M Ranch last weekend, still about a dozen planes out there, all grounded by the weather, rain with a dusting of snow on the higher trails. Talking with an employee of Steve Fosset I get the impression that they are going to search until he is found.

I agree with your comment about trail conditions after a Worst in the Desert race-they suck, they ruin the trail.

I am going to suggest to my riding buddies that we take our dual sports and do your ride and camp trip though we will probably start in Smith NV. Thanks for the ride report.
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #58
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
Brad, you certainly take the road less traveled. Makes me miss living in the West.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #59
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

209 miles yesterday, let's see what we can do today.

I awoke relatively early and it was reaallly cold outside so I thought I'd give Tonopah's 6000' elevation a little chance to warm up so I hung out in my room, drank coffee and read some more of my Clive Cussler book I had gotten in P-rump. Ate a bagel that was in my bag and headed out at 9:30. I didn't think today would be a very long one.

Heading NW

I got my binoculars out here to look at something white up on the side of the hill that I thought might be Steve Fossett. It wasn't. See the little white speck in the middle of the mountain?

More mines...

I was winding up thru Paymaster Canyon again and missed a turn. This is it...

This was challenging to say the least, especially on a fully loaded and fueled DRZ. Part way up I bagged it and decided to find a way around to connect my gps tracks. Now I was hot and sweaty!

Looking back down where I had come up...

This is what was up on top of the summit. Aaaah, time to cool off. And this road connected right back to my track.

I eventually ended up here, crossed over Hwy 95, and kept heading NW.

more...

Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #60
brad21 OP
Farting in a Fan

This is "Devils Gate". What is it with all the references to Satan?

Got up this canyon to here where I spotted 3 Coyotes at a watering hole. Turned off the motor and they just stood there and checked me out. Kind of a Where's Waldo picture, but if you look closely in the middle of the pic you can see one Coyote. I think he was pooping.

Wound around thru this really cool mining site and popped up on top of the hill to the Gilbert Mine, where I had 3 bars on my cell phone! Gave the wife and kids a call.

Munched on some jerky and headed out again. Another coyote ran across the road in front of me but I missed the pic.

This is the actual "town" of Gilbert.

Down the hill and across a wide open valley I could see something big and dark in the trail ahead. As I got closer this is what it was.

Now, you just never know about wild horses, but as soon as I started riding towards him he turned and ran down the trail ahead of me, twisting his neck to look back at me with one big eye. Kinda funny. Then he bolted off the side of the trail and turned to look at me again. Not sure where the rest of his herd was...

Uh oh, I think the racecourse is close again...

Sure enough, I made a left turn and the trail turned to crap again. The picture above is Kibby Flat Well.

Some dude had a private mine up there and it was clearly marked as such. See his truck down there?

Critters:

I climbed and climbed and climbed and eventually peaked out at 8000' near the Drew Mine. Time for a Clif Bar. I was a bit worn out after the bumpy ascension. I found a couple of racecourse signs out here so it was definitely part of the course this year.

The view from up top, then down the other side...

Eventually I popped out in Mina.

Gassed up and got a Mountain Dew. The lady that ran the show here was not very talkative.

Downtown Mina. Nice place to visit but...

I asked Chatty Cathy how far to Hawthorne and she said about 30 miles "the back way". Okay then...

More critters, center of pic...

I'm not sure what was going on here, but this entire dry lake was fenced off. I didn't investigate further, but should have...

Heading up into Rattlesnake Canyon looking back at Garfield Flat.

Probably some sort of Hydrogeologic survey site or something...

Eventually I came to a section of trail I had been on before and at this point I had to make a decision. Should I backtrack and check out the Cabin in the Rock or should I just motor on to Hawthorne. It would add about 40 miles roundtrip from here... nahhhh... onward to Hawthorne.

The wind was howling on the way into town and I was getting sprinkled upon.

Check out the flags...

Shopped around a bit for a cheap hotel and ended up here. Went to Maggies(?) for a late lunch and free Wi-Fi (had my Palm TX with me) had a great burger, hosed off the nasty DRZ and headed back to the room after getting a couple of microbrews at the mini-mart.

Time for a nice hot shower...

more later...