User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,866
Clutch Booster Failure and Repair @ 10k

My super, and I mean "super" well maintained 06 Adv was shifting shitty lately. No problems finding neutral but "Clunky", "BMWish", "like a Soviet built tractor" is how I might describe it. I change the oil is this girl more than most of you slobs change your underwear and I'm on top of all scheduled maintence. My friends bust my balls using some word, what was it ?...."anal" I think it is, "hey screw you guys, you can kiss my oil filter"
Anywho, brought her up to my dealer asap cuz I'm due to ride the TAT next week with these guys and I certainly dont want my "well maintained" bike to be the first to break down, I'll never hear the end of it
Verdict: Clutch Booster shot. Very obvious they said upon examination.
Probably went around the 8k mark if I had to guess.
Parts and labor $ 485, but I have a 3 year KTM Care contract that has almost paid for itself with this one repair.
TAT, here we come ...

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Do you know how much of the $485 was parts? And which parts needed replacement, just the booster, or other clutch parts too? Just curious :)
uk_mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 AM   #3
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Picking her up this am, I'll know later. I think it was $175 for the booster. I also had it overnighted to my dealer because of my time restraints. I assume that cost is in there.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #4
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Uh-oh... WTF is a clutch booster?

I'm thinking clutch slave cylinder... no? Then, what? I need an education!

TIA.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

No not the slave. I have the EVO on already. The booster is located on the hub appreantly and it well, boosts the clutch !
It assists the the push-rod. Pyn will ring in soon Im sure and explain it, but its not the slave.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
No not the slave. I have the EVO on already. The booster is located on the hub appreantly and it well, boosts the clutch !
It assists the the push-rod. Pyn will ring in soon Im sure and explain it, but its not the slave.
Ummm... OK, I dunno where it is, but it can't be on the front hub.... I don't buy that. Makes no sense; there's no other clutch business on the front wheel / hub.

Try again?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

inner hub

Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
CMWoodys
Banned

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Squeeze the lever moving the plunger in the master cylinder pushing fluid down the line to the slave pushing its piston that transfers its push to the clutch rod that presses the clutch out through its bearing. Simple and unboosted system. I know of no vehicles that use a booster on the clutch circuit. Typically think of a vacuum booster in automotive brake terms. Did they tell you that you need to keep an eye on your muffler bearing, it looks a little iffy too?
CMWoodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #9
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Look on the fiche. Clutch page 14 part # 17. Clutch Booster.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:09 AM   #10
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
The clutch booster is part of the clutch basket assembly - if you remove the clutch springs and pressure plate you can see it behind the big central nut.

It works by exerting extra pressure on the clutch plates as the clutch spins faster. It's not to boost the pressure in the hydraulic system, or assist in clutch disengagement - it presses the plates together to stop the clutch slipping when you whack on the power :)
uk_mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #11
CMWoodys
Banned

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_mouse
The clutch booster is part of the clutch basket assembly - if you remove the clutch springs and pressure plate you can see it behind the big central nut.

It works by exerting extra pressure on the clutch plates as the clutch spins faster. It's not to boost the pressure in the hydraulic system, or assist in clutch disengagement - it presses the plates together to stop the clutch slipping when you whack on the power :)
Oh that. I was thinking hydraulically. Odd that it went out.
CMWoodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:31 AM   #12
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
My super, and I mean "super" well maintained 06 Adv was shifting shitty lately. No problems finding neutral but "Clunky", "BMWish", "like a Soviet built tractor" is how I might describe it.

Verdict: Clutch Booster shot. Very obvious they said upon examination.
Do you know how they were able to tell the booster was shot?
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 AM   #13
Donkey_Kong
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeEssPeeDee
Typically think of a vacuum booster in automotive brake terms. Did they tell you that you need to keep an eye on your muffler bearing, it looks a little iffy too?
Docking Pilot has a completely maintained after market CHROME exhaust bearing with only 1k on it. He got it from KTMTwins.com . Ok.. all kidding aside. DP (i couldn't resist that one) knows a lot about bikes and does most of his own maintenence. His bike wasn't shifting so good for a while now. When he got his bike a little over a year ago he said "this is the best transmission I've ever felt, even better then a Honda".

The clutch pressure booster is KTM Part No. 600.32.080.000. It isn't anything like a brake pressure booster. Just cause it's not something like you typically thing of doesn't not mean it doesn't exist. It doesn't boost the pressure on the clutch plates not the fluid. It's a mechanical part located in the clutch basket.

It has ramps machined on to it so as the engine makes more torque it increases the pressure on the clutch plates. DP's ramps are worn off .

This part is referenced in the service manual on page 4-9 middle of the page like this...

nuff said....
Donkey_Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #14
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Thanks for support DK. And of course you are correct.
I have the "Clutch Booster" in my hand now. The ramps on it are worn off. Why ? Who knows, but they are.
KTM calls it a clutch booster and it can be misleading, having you think its hydrolic, when its a mechanical part, so the muffler bearing comment Il let go without calling him an Asswipe. My dealer has been a KTM dealer before they were orange, the were white/blue for those that dont know, and I had one !
They also sponsered Lafferty on the ECEA curcuit (you know Lafferty dont you ?) and the owner is the tech and personally worked on my bike, so when he said "your clutch booster is shot" I believed him of course.
She shifts better than a Honda again !
Even without replaceing the muffler bearings.........................

Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #15
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Anyway, if your bikes not shifting like it used to, have a look at the "clutch booster ramps. They may be worn out.