User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,468
Perma-Coil Thread repair?

My local has everything hardware store has something called Perma-Coil, which I hadn't heard of. Anyone have experience with that kit vs Helicoil or Timeserts?

It's cheap enough, $25 for a tap, insertion tool, and maybe 12 stainless inserts. What concerns me a little, is the insert is 1.5 times it's width, so a M6 would be 9mm I guess. Not super long. I know with Time-Serts at least, you can get some really long inserts. Since this is a low load application ( 8ft-lbs), maybe it doesn't matter much.

Quote:
Perma-Coil helically coiled inserts are made of stainless steel wire that has been rolled to a carefully controlled thread form. When installed Perma-Coil inserts adjust to tapped hole, becoming a functional thread with a strength exceeding the original.

Perma-Coil inserts and repair kits are designed to repair stripped threads in a variety of metals. Aluminum, aluminum alloys, steel, and cast iron. If the original threads can be stripped, Perma-Coil inserts can repair them. By following the detailed instructions enclosed in every Perma-Coil kit, even an inexperienced do-it-yourselfer can repair stripped threads, permanently.
Just wondering. I think I remember Helicoil kits and Time-Serts being in the $50-$80 range.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #2
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,479
Any more than 1.5 times the diameter is unnecessary.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Perma-coil is a heli-coil clone. Only thing I don't like is the installation tools I've seen (at Pep Boys) are real crapeaux. I had to try to use one, a weird size at a difficult angle and was real junk.... I'm spoiled by real helicoil industrail grade stuff and time-serts. Both these are pretty decent. Time-sert is often touted as SO MUCH BETTER. They might be slightly better, might not. I've used lots of both. Since they both use the same size tap, how much better is it really going to be. Both of them have plusses and minuses for the install process. Use what floats your boat.

all the best,

Mike

+1

What he said above - most all the time 1.5 diamters is plenty
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 918
Perma- and Heli-coils are junk. I have seen several failures and many pullouts. Time Serts ARE better. They are a solid insert, not a coil. More expensive, but well worth the money.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Southernmost_Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottysix9
Perma- and Heli-coils are junk. I have seen several failures and many pullouts. Time Serts ARE better. They are a solid insert, not a coil. More expensive, but well worth the money.
I've found if you put locktite on the coil insert when installing the coil they don't pull out as easy.

Heli-coils are a pretty good cure for being a little too strong for one's own good. The alterntive is fill the hole with a wield and re-drill/ re-tap or buy a new part.

Heli-coils work within reason. (no, I don't work for them.)
Southernmost_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottysix9
I've used thousands of the helicoils and hundreds of time serts. I've seen timeserts pull out too. If the install is screwed up either one can pull out. Think about it - if they both use the same size tap how much difference can there be?? I'll do some torque tests and let you know which one holds the best.

There's also applications where the timsert can't be used.

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote