Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Stackator OP
F800GS goodness

Oddometer: 1,343
2006-2007 Aprilia Pegaso Trail

Pegaso Factory...the dealer said that it just came in this week
AUD $12,990 + ORC
660 EFI single w/ 48bhp (35kW) at the crank
Learner legal (pretty tasty for a learner bike)
Has a whole swag of accessories including panniers etc

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Done a great job of making a single look hot

But 17" wheels, 140 and 130mm suspension travel shows what market it's aimed at

http://www.aprilia.com/modelli/adven...nfo.asp?id=127
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #3
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Pegaso Trail on the other hand, not as sharp looking but 19" front and 170mm travel

Old 09-16-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
ADVJake
i like stuff

Oddometer: 4,338
When is someone going to put some decent suspension on a big bike other than KTM??

They look alright.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMJake
When is someone going to put some decent suspension on a big bike other than KTM??

They look alright.
Not everyone wants 300mm of suspension travel I guess.If your just touring it's not necessary.Saying that I must say that I'm looking to upgrade mine.

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMJake
Well seeing as you asked....

Front suspensionMARZOCCHI USD telescopic hydraulic fork with advanced axle compression and rebound stroke adjustment
Fork leg diameter50 mm
Fork travel300 mm
Rear suspensionSACHS Progressive Soft Damp type with single hydraulic shock absorber, spring pre-load adjustment. Compression and rebound adjustment (compression stroke - double adjustment)
Rear wheel travel320 mm
Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 AM   #7
Andrew2
Team 250

History repeats.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 723
Wink Rode the Pegaso Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbstubby
Pegaso Trail on the other hand, not as sharp looking but 19" front and 170mm travel
I currently ride a DL650, but I am swapping over to the Pegaso Trail as soon as I get it together to sell the Strom. I have ridden the Peg for about 300kms on a mix of dirt roads, trails, back roads and highways, and it is, for me, a good option as an all-rounder. Especially as I need a commuter as well (no car). While it is not in the off-road vein of the KTM, it does perform reasonably well given the suspension limitations. IMO it is better off-road (and cheaper and better looking) than BMW F650s I have ridden, and is a far better street/tour bike than the DR650 I had previously.

I agree that it is not the best adv bike out there, but horses for courses as they say. It has modern technology with EFI, 16 litre tank, is comfortable over the the 800km/day that I ride, good in the twisties, looks good (IMO) and comes with a 2 year warranty. I will probably add Arrow pipes, a PCIII with airbox mods, alloy bash plate, barkbusters, engine guards.

Maybe I am showing my age (53), but I don't "race" off-road any more, and don't have a street bike to compliment the trail bike like I used to.

Other bike options that meet these criteria? None that appeal to me, but I welcome suggestions or comments on my choice.

Cheers
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #9
Andrew2
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom
I currently ride a DL650, but I am swapping over to the Pegaso Trail as soon as I get it together to sell the Strom. I have ridden the Peg for about 300kms on a mix of dirt roads, trails, back roads and highways, and it is, for me, a good option as an all-rounder. Especially as I need a commuter as well (no car). While it is not in the off-road vein of the KTM, it does perform reasonably well given the suspension limitations. IMO it is better off-road (and cheaper and better looking) than BMW F650s I have ridden, and is a far better street/tour bike than the DR650 I had previously.

I agree that it is not the best adv bike out there, but horses for courses as they say. It has modern technology with EFI, 16 litre tank, is comfortable over the the 800km/day that I ride, good in the twisties, looks good (IMO) and comes with a 2 year warranty. I will probably add Arrow pipes, a PCIII with airbox mods, alloy bash plate, barkbusters, engine guards.

Maybe I am showing my age (53), but I don't "race" off-road any more, and don't have a street bike to compliment the trail bike like I used to.

Other bike options that meet these criteria? None that appeal to me, but I welcome suggestions or comments on my choice.

Cheers
You won't get any arguments from me.
A2

Old 09-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
edo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
A mate has a pegaso trail & although he likes it, Ive been really unimpressed. He dropped it, almost at standstill in a puddle in toolangi...it was very gentle, but it busted the coolant bottle off, which normally you'd fix with a cable tie. Normally though, it wouldnt be bolted to aluminium lugs on the side of the radiator end tank, which when broken leave two good sized holes in the radiator.
If you buy one & it falls down, rest assured that the bolts holding the pillion peg brackets to the frame when covered in duct tape can be screwed into those holes & do a really half arsed job to get you back to town.

Another mate has an F650Dakar...he falls down as often as he stays up & apart from scratches hasnt had any similar sort of issues. It also just feels like a much more substantial bike...its certainly a better bit of gear.

The yamaha engine though probably has the edge over that of the BM.

Oh, the guy with the Aprilia used to have a SZR660 & I reckon it had less grunt than the Aprilia to be honest...fast in tight twisties though.
edo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #11
Oz-Strom
Still trying

Oddometer: 723
Question Fragile pegaso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo1
A mate has a pegaso trail & although he likes it, Ive been really unimpressed. He dropped it, almost at standstill in a puddle in toolangi...it was very gentle, but it busted the coolant bottle off, which normally you'd fix with a cable tie.
Interesting experience - While I also share concerns about the crashability of the Peg, the same applies to the Strom to some extent, and it is easier to drop due to weight/size. Done that a couple of times, but the Oggy Knobbs save major damage thankfully. I hope to be able to adapt these to protect exposed weak points of the Peg - particularly the coolant tank/radiator as you have pointed out, and the water pump is vunerable also, but engine guards should assist there.

I am intrigued with the accessories displayed for the 2008 Tenere - particularly the alloy bash plate and engine guards, and wondering how easy it would be to fit those to the Peg?? The frames don't look dissimilar, but they state the Yam is a wet sump engine, so I guess there are differences in dimensions.

Any thoughts Andrew2 ?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
Andrew2
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz-Strom
Interesting experience - While I also share concerns about the crashability of the Peg, the same applies to the Strom to some extent, and it is easier to drop due to weight/size. Done that a couple of times, but the Oggy Knobbs save major damage thankfully. I hope to be able to adapt these to protect exposed weak points of the Peg - particularly the coolant tank/radiator as you have pointed out, and the water pump is vunerable also, but engine guards should assist there.

I am intrigued with the accessories displayed for the 2008 Tenere - particularly the alloy bash plate and engine guards, and wondering how easy it would be to fit those to the Peg?? The frames don't look dissimilar, but they state the Yam is a wet sump engine, so I guess there are differences in dimensions.

Any thoughts Andrew2 ?
Maybe.I just went to the Hepco and Becker site and found this.

http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanle...02791.0001.pdf

Here's some other stuff for them.

http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php

Andrew2 screwed with this post 09-18-2007 at 10:31 PM
Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Andrew2
Team 250

The first link did'nt work so just type in Hepco and Becker in Google.
You could always make your own too.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #14
Andrew2
Team 250

I reckon they've done a pretty good jon in regards to limiting crash damage.Compare the new Trail to my model.Now there's a bike that is gonna hurt in a fall.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:55 PM   #15
edo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Not sure how you come to that conclusion?

Stationary fall to the right in soft mud rendered it rooted...if thats doing a good job of limiting crash damage Id hate to see a crap job.

I have emailed my mate that H&B pdf though...cheers
edo1 is offline   Reply With Quote