User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
PR for International Friendship

As most of you realize from trip reports or actual experience, we are all part of a global community of riders anxious to know and share with one another. No matter the claim, we can’t ride the planet alone without the sporadic aid of locals everywhere from Siberia to Africa and yet it is often those with the least who share the most. Those who have experienced the generosity of total strangers while wandering the earth, eventually think in terms of repaying that hospitality to complete the circle.

Although it’s difficult for anyone to pack up and roll off on an international ride, it’s nearly impossible for those outside Western countries. When asked What was the biggest lesson learned while riding the world, my invariable reply is, “To share.” And for that, there is never a lack of opportunity.

Some of the best Trip Reports lately are coming from riders in distant lands who share and write about our common passion for motorcycle adventure travel. One of several who comes to mind is Chanerjeet wth his tales of roaming India and overall positive input to advrider. The Laws of Attraction must be at work because when discussing an idea of sponsoring a foreign rider with Pete from Berkeley, he said that he had been considering the same person. Wanna bet that we are not the only ones?

So how about it guys and gals? Are we ready to show some North American hospitality or what? I’ll kick in the first two hundred bucks to import a fellow FF. Since these types of ideas tend to cool off with time, we decided that there is no time like the present and after contacting Chanderjeet, he stated that he can have a visa within a week and a month off of work during October. Although the devil may sometimes be in the details, this should not be a problem for the creative minds and generosity of our global community.

Considerations:
Overall cost including airfare—No more than 4K
Chanderjeet can establish a Pay Pal account for donors to send cash to with periodic reports.
He buys his ticket in New Delhi with accumulated Pay Pal funds and then flies to a US city to begin his tour.
We need use of a motorcycle for October.
Even if we don’t raise the necessary funds immediately, as long as we have enough for airfare, that’s enough to get started. We’ll raise the rest as he begins his ride with a cap on the total amount not to exceed a hundred bucks a day.
The only thing we expect in return from Chanderjeet is to utilize the Indian media to report back to. Let’s call this PR for International Friendship.

Since the Pay Pal system is a bit complicated with foreign exchange rates, Toothy has volunteered to act as treasurer. Please PM for his name and address to send checks to.

This is our current list of participants

strikingviking screwed with this post 09-19-2007 at 12:29 PM
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
bigrichard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,242
Great idea and great choice
bigrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
nelgallan
oilfield trash

Oddometer: 1,609

“There are three things in life that people like to stare at: a flowing stream, a crackling fire, and a Zamboni clearing the ice.”

http://nelgallan.smugmug.com/
nelgallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
Sounds like a great plan Glen, let's hope the ADV community will support this effort.

We'll sticky this thread here for a while.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #5
litox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I'm in. I am ready to paypal $100 as soon as the account is set up. Great idea Glen.

Miguel
litox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Cheap Ryder
Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer: 549
good Idea

Let's do it. I appreciate his posts and point of view. Is it too late to make it to montana? I could help out with tires etc. And I do know about cheap bikes. Do you think he would like the loan of my bike?
Attached Images

Cheap Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Whoohoo!

Put me down for a hundred. This is going to be a lot of fun!
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Ryder
Let's do it. I appreciate his posts and point of view. Is it too late to make it to montana? I could help out with tires etc. And I do know about cheap bikes. Do you think he would like the loan of my bike?

Well, he will have to borrow SOMEONES bike. I haven't got one that would be up to the task to spare.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,999
Outstanding idea...I'll pitch in.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #10
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 97,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Ryder
An old Yamaha wouldn't be a bad choice...just bring some extra alternator brushes along.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Cheap Ryder
Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer: 549
Lot's of good old bikes

I also have a 82 500 silverwing and a 82 gold wing but they are for sale cheap. That multicolored yamaha 650 has been a good ride this summer. Made it to sturgis in 100 degree heat and out to portland oregon and down to Silverton for the HU riders meeting. It is geared a little high for 12,000 feet on rocky steps on the alpine loop tho. I averaged 3K miles a month while working full time this summer. The alternator cover is off to keep the rotor and brushes cool and prevent premature failure. I have a few odds and ends on ebay right now so my pay pal account will hopefully have a few coins in it.
Cheap Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,303
IN

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
Thanks everyone. I'm sure this is going to be a great experience for all. Right now, Chanderjeet has established a PayPal account but we are uncertain how it works with Indian banks. We'd like to be able to somehow transfer funds so he could use a credit card while traveling.

As this is going to be an October ride, weather is a factor in deciding the route. Lots of you FFs are surely going to want to keep him around your towns for extended periods but I reminded Chanderjeet that this is journey, not a paid vacation. We all want a shot at meeting him and I recommended that he try and cover as much ground as possible.

We still need a bike and that will determine which major city that he flies into and out of when he returns it. Unfortunately for me, my October schedule is too busy, so I will have to wait until I return to India to meet Chanderjeet. The good for him though, is that he'll probably know all the hotel owners across the US.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
cool! i'm good for $100 in a few weeks. pm sent.

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #15
DrMike
Old F'ng New Guy

Oddometer: 173
Basics and Bikes

I'm up to support his effort. We need some basic information. Where is he landing. NY, DC, SEA? Will the ride be a closed loop (DCA SDA SEA DCA) or a pass through (JFK SEA via everywhere?).

He will need wheels, GPS, Maps, Cellphone....

I'm thinking that best might be to "Buy" a used bike then "Sell" it when he is done. That should make documentation, insurance and legal concerns if he gets dtopped crossing into Canada or something.

I have a Spare GPS, Wiring Harness, XM Radio, Saddle Bags, Tank Bag. The bike under it is the concern.