Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #16
klopfi OP
Professional Struggler

Oddometer: 119
I think if I had the good sense to have left my knee and shin armor in my pants, that would have covered me for the knee scrape.

More protection in the gloves is the thing I will be trying to upgrade. Since it wasn't a seam failure, I'm thinking some of that po-boy racer action across the top of my knuckles is the way to go.

In terms of boots, I'm guessing I will either stay with the racing style ankle protection (the Oxtar TCS worked OK) or maybe go with something in a sport touring boot like the Aerostich Combat Lites.

And maybe louder pipes... I heard somewhere that they save lives.

Ride safe,

jim
"It's always good to see young people taking an interest in danger. Now, a lot of people are going to be telling you you're crazy, and maybe they're right. But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" - Captain Lance Murdoch

Carpe Spargel!
klopfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
smsteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Also glad to hear that you are okay and always appreciate people's reviews of gear that has truly been "tested".

BTW, you have a great writing style.

SMSTEVE
2000 KTM SMC
smsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,230
Thanks for posting that, I went through that same area yesterday.

I am gonna have a lady friend of mine that wants to buy a bike read this, maybe ATGATT will sink in without pain on her part.

Glad you are OK.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 PM   #19
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by klopfi
....And maybe louder pipes... I heard somewhere that they save lives.

Ride safe,

jim
You should try to convince Gary of that! (We havn't met, but I'm a new RC this year from Casper) Say, did you save the helmet for a visual on the importance of full face?

George

WYO George screwed with this post 09-20-2007 at 10:48 PM
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:14 PM   #20
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWs2Dave
Maybe the moral to this story is that deer hide is not a good protector in crashes.
It would make more sense to believe that safety gear will not always save you from all injury, but you can damned sure be confident that it will save you from a lot more pain than you would endure had you not been wearing it.

Also, some things just fail - and animal skin is a very uncontrolled material when it comes to consistent mechanical properties!
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #21
fas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonox
It would make more sense to believe that safety gear will not always save you from all injury, but you can damned sure be confident that it will save you from a lot more pain than you would endure had you not been wearing it.

Also, some things just fail - and animal skin is a very uncontrolled material when it comes to consistent mechanical properties!
+1

I avoid night riding because of these horned rats. They are all over Ohio. I think we have more deer than we have motorcyclists at this point. A gang of five deer is always hanging out at the entrance to my health club and they drive me nuts.

www.e-bikefun.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
fas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:19 AM   #22
klopfi OP
Professional Struggler

The humorous observation is that I would have thought wearing the deer leather should have been a clear warning to local wildlife that I would not hesitate to turn one of them into a canoe - with a little left over to make a nice wallet.

I agree with the theory that it is probably not reasonable to expect that one's gear can completely prevent injuries in the type of crash I had - it did expose an area where I may be be able to improve on my coverage... But there is always that balance to be struck between protection and comfort. Even though I needed the stitches, I think the gloves held up pretty well overall.

And yes, George... I'm keeping the helmet and gloves for their instructional properties...

Also, thanks all for the congratulations and commiserations...

Ride safe,

jim
"It's always good to see young people taking an interest in danger. Now, a lot of people are going to be telling you you're crazy, and maybe they're right. But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" - Captain Lance Murdoch

Carpe Spargel!
Old 09-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #23
WYO George
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by klopfi
The humorous observation is that I would have thought wearing the deer leather should have been a clear warning to local wildlife that I would not hesitate to turn one of them into a canoe - with a little left over to make a nice wallet.....
I never thought of it that way, but it makes sense. Too bad it didn't work out for you though.

George :)
Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #24
hubascuba
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Deer Whistles...

Hello, and thanks for the gear report....

I hit a deer with my car once, and can only imagine what it must be like if I was on a bike. It took out the whole Driver side front of my Saab 95. $10,000 in damage.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about...

The guy that I had bought my bike from in CT, had put a pair of 'deer whistles' on the front fender of the bike.

We have a lot of deer here, and when I ride at night, I generally see them standing by the side of the road when I drive by with my truck, but they are always running away from me when I see them on my bike.
I ride a 89 TransAlp, so it is certainly not a load bike.....so I am thinking that these whistles work, and will def put them on my next bike....still drooling over a 1200GS!

these are similar to the ones I have on my fender..
http://www.sevendeals.com/p-3407-deer-whistle.aspx

At $5.95 for a pair.. ... Cheaper than better gloves ....

Again, thanks for the report, and the pictures.... I guess I will be wearing more protection for the next few weeks, then back to flip flops and shorts! I know it is bad, but that is how I grew up riding in South Aftrica.

Good luck with the recovery.

'89 - TransAlp XL600V
'08 - Yamaha Raider S - Blue
hubascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #25
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Outstanding post and pix there. It definitely is a testament to ATGATT. I hope the injuries heal fast and the bike gets fixed soon.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #26
Pbone
n00b

Oddometer: 3
You are living a charmed life

Jim - I was one of the 4 LEOs from Colorado Springs that was riding behind you when you made firiends with that deer. I've seen my share of people that were DRT (Dead Right There) and when I first saw you, I figured you for DRT also. Turned out you were conscious and as alert as most people still doing the ride. Man, you are living a charmed life. Good karma there.

Once we got you on your way, I helped your partner right your bike and try to locate some paperwork. I also took a handful of amazing photos that I will try to get posted here.

Your accident hung over evryone's head for thr rest of the ride. Besides not knowing your condition, we spent the rest of the day and that night worrying about hitting one of those furry bastards.

Jim, all the best in the world to you. I hope to meet you someday under better circumstances.

Pete
Pbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #27
klopfi OP
Professional Struggler

Maybe I did hit my head...

Hello Pete,

There were four of you from the Springs? Maybe I wasn't as alert as you gave me credit for... My only defense is that I was seeing things through the port hole view of the helmet.

I was thinking that other than at a track, there's probably not many people who have crashed under better circumstances in terms of who was nearby - not saying that I wouldn't rather have met you all at brunch in Steamboat, but I sincerely appreciate having had the benefit of meeting you when I did.

I am very grateful for all of the help, both in checking me over and rounding up my gear. If we can manage it sometime, I'd like to meet again without anyone feeling compelled to hold me down or ask me what year it is.

Sorry about starting the ride out wrong like that - it must have been a bit of a weight to wonder about the whole thing. It was nice to hear that practically everybody else made it to the end safe and sound.

Thanks again (and thanks for weighing in)!

jim

Carpe Spargel!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #28
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Deer Whistles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubascuba

The guy that I had bought my bike from in CT, had put a pair of 'deer whistles' on the front fender of the bike.

We have a lot of deer here, and when I ride at night, I generally see them standing by the side of the road when I drive by with my truck, but they are always running away from me when I see them on my bike.
I ride a 89 TransAlp, so it is certainly not a load bike.....so I am thinking that these whistles work, and will def put them on my next bike....still drooling over a 1200GS!

At $5.95 for a pair.. ... Cheaper than better gloves ....

Holy Shyte Klopfi

You're a damned lucky fellow!! Thanks for the report.

Hubascuba, its odd, I used to ride a Transalp w/ deer whistles, now I ride a GS w/ deer whistles. I'd like to add a RT-P w/ deer whistles someday.
On my TransAmerica tour, my TransCanada tour, and on rides throughout BC and Ontario, I've also only ever seen deer's arses as they've fled my unholy presence..... or the deer whistles.
I understand that our cops have them on their patrol cars, which seems a pretty good endorsement.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #29
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
what an amazing story. i'm a little worried about those motoport pants. on the other hand, no textile is 100% and you did come off at speed. i guess they did just fine.

glad you're doing well, and hope your moto is replaced soon enough.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #30
klopfi OP
Professional Struggler

"i'm a little worried about those motoport pants."

I wouldn't be... The abrasion that came through (and the pants weren't damaged in that spot - it was a through the fabric scrape) was an area that should have been covered if I hadn't been more concerned about armor comfort over my "do these boots make my butt look fast?" Oxtars. When I sent them in to be patched, I asked Wayne and Co. to expand the ankles to account for my mighty booted calves and the knee armor comfort conundrum was solved.

I don't know that the pictures really did justice to the violence of the tumble, but the whole process left me feeling pretty good about choosing Motoport. I remain confident in the kevlar gear and haven't regretted the choice.

The epilogue to all this is that I was riding again about about 3 weeks after channeling Nimrod (as soon as I could pull a glove on over my finger without squealing) and the bike was replaced a couple of months later. People tell me how lucky I am - but I mean seriously, the guys who scraped me up (great as they were) would never be confused for Swedish bikini models travelling the country with unclaimed game show prizes...

You'd think that I'd get some credit for being a really good crasher, but not so much.

I just wish that I had the presence of mind to ask the doctor as he stitched my middle finger up if I would ever be able to flip someone off again...

Ride safe!

Jim

Carpe Spargel!