User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,612
Alaska for dummies

Hi, I am planning on going to Alaska sometime soon so I wanted to ask for your advice on the general planning.

The date is still a couple of summers away but I always like to prepare. So my question is not a question but a starting point, where should I start? I am thinking 1 month there and back, if it matters I am from Baja Mexico, so what should I think of?

This summer I went to Canada on my KLR and like it a lot, but the weather was so hot and only one day of rain (little nor much).

I am all ears.

Damasovi
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The folks in Great White North Regionals Forum will be glad to help, I'm sure.
Post this over there.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
The folks in Great White North Regionals Forum will be glad to help, I'm sure.
Post this over there.
GRRACIAS
Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
rpilottx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Earlier Equals Dryer

I left El Paso on Memorial Day weekend about 3 years ago. I got snowed on in Montana but after that it was great. Generally, the later in the summer you go, the wetter especially in late July or August.

I may have to eat my words but next summer we are heading up from the southern border in early August. My riding partner can't get away and I did not make it up to Prudoe Bay last trip but am planning to correct that next year followed by TDF in the fall.

Take good waterproof riding gear and plenty of wool(ever seen a hypothermic sheep) or polypro and you will do fine. Fall colors around McKinley are late August.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #5
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
I just did a 5 week trip this past June, total of 10,524 miles. Have good gear, including a good rainsuit (or very good waterproof textile gear). Bring layers to take on/off. You'll likely hit all the extremes of weather.

Get some maps of Alberta, BC, Yukon, and AK. Start looking at possible destinations and estimating miles.

Camping sounded like a good idea when I was plannin, however at the end of the day after riding thru rain and cold a motel with hot shower & fluffy pillows looked great. In the end I didn't camp as much as I had planned. I could have left home the cooking gear, since finding a cafe was always possible.

There's other items I could mention, all depends on what you're looking for. As mentioned the GWN area is a good place to look for advice.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
I got a Milepost and cut out the pages I wanted and separated them into each highway section. Stored each section in a separate page protector to keep them organized. It was a little overkill but it did come in handy a few times and made it possible to see things I would have forgotten about. I did not use it to make an exact plan or time table but to make it easier to improvise because I had the info handy to change things.
Benjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender
I just did a 5 week trip this past June, total of 10,524 miles. Have good gear, including a good rainsuit (or very good waterproof textile gear). Bring layers to take on/off. You'll likely hit all the extremes of weather.

Get some maps of Alberta, BC, Yukon, and AK. Start looking at possible destinations and estimating miles.

Camping sounded like a good idea when I was plannin, however at the end of the day after riding thru rain and cold a motel with hot shower & fluffy pillows looked great. In the end I didn't camp as much as I had planned. I could have left home the cooking gear, since finding a cafe was always possible.
Amigo this sounds good, last July I went to BC Canada and found out I had to much stuff but I left the cooking stuff at home basicly because I knew it was not necesary and like you said, at the end of the day you just want to crash.
I have some good maps of BC and Alberta but still need the last two ones, Yukon and Alaska.

How many milles are too many? I avarege 400 milles with the ocasional 500 and one day of 600, but is was all roads and no rain, are 350 ok? or maybe 250?

I will continue to ride and improve my skills by the time I get there but I just wanted to know.

Thank you amigos and have fun

Damasovi
Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
TeacherDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Where do you suggest getting good maps of those areas? I'm planning for the summer of 2009 to the Arctic Circle.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherDan
Where do you suggest getting good maps of those areas? I'm planning for the summer of 2009 to the Arctic Circle.
Amazon.com for the Milepost, has basic map of Canada and Alaska and you can pick-up more detailed maps on the way if needed. Suggest the Dempster in Yukon Territory for best ride to the Artic Circle, out of Fairbanks the road is mostly paved to the Circle (no challenge and scenery on Dempster is better).
Google Earth is fun as a pre-ride.
I hoteled it the entire way but lots of camping spots if you like bugs/bears and such.
Mid June to mid July worked for us.
Good luck and go soon before ALL the roads are paved.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Omar
Muddling thru

Oddometer: 133
Ride to Alaska

Damasovi,

First let me congratulate you on your desire to ride to Alaska. It is an experience worth having. As a person living in Baja CA, the ride will be going north all the way, so naturally the further north you go the cooler it will get, prepare for it.

Also, there is much written up about riding to Alaska and I would first look up all the Alaska blogs on this ADVRIDER, much can be gained by that, as most will tell you one heck of a lot, in brief descriptions too.

The only key advice I can give is that once you enter less populated areas north of CA, never pass a gas station when tank is 1/2 full or less .... fill up at every opportunity. After one really scarry incident I carried a spare gallon gas can with me (bungie corded to my tail bag). The peace of mind was wonderful and at one instance it came in handy to help another biker out.

Have fun and ride safe.
Omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
stovepipe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
How many milles are too many? I avarege 400 milles with the ocasional 500 and one day of 600, but is was all roads and no rain, are 350 ok? or maybe 250?

I will continue to ride and improve my skills by the time I get there but I just wanted to know.

Thank you amigos and have fun

Damasovi[/quote]

Hi Damasovi,

First off, you are going to have an absolute blast. I rode out of San Francisco in late June and was gone for a month up north. It was unbelievable. The KLR held up like a champ.

I wouldn't plan for longer than an average of 250 miles a day. There is a bunch of great gravel/ dirt roads to contend with. The Dempster and the Denali Highways are 2 that I would NOT miss. 200- 250 is good so you can slip in a rest day or two in there and not be doing too many 500 mile days.

The weather was all over the place in July.. but you can usually just ride through whatever system is bothering you, and into clear skies.

My buddies and I camped most of the trip, as we got lucky with mostly clear skies in the evenings. it saved us a bunch of loot. as others have mentioned, i could have left the cooking gear at home.. who can get enough of those cinnamon buns and pies!

other tips...
shipping an extra set of tires to Whitehorse ahead of time was a great idea. much cheaper than dealing with local shops!

I wish i had a really really tall windshield. mine is about 4inches taller than stock. get the taller one. having to clean your faceshield all the time from bug splatter is a little annoying.

Have a blast!!
stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 485
I am starting to plan for a trip to Prudhoe Bay in 09. I am starting to pick up gear a little at a time for the trip. You can never start too early!
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
wildwilly
Old Fart

Oddometer: 149
Damasovi

Are you going as a group? From my experience on my previous trip to Canada/Alaska: Ensure that your riding partner(s) share your enthusiasm for adventure; rides a bike with similar capabilities as your's. Take it from me, it really sucks to ride with a whiner on a trip of a lifetime.
wildwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 784
This forum was filled with great advice for planning my trip this summer.The only advice I didn't see was:If you are camping,carry a tent with a dark rain fly to keep the light out at night.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
treysmagna
Bald is beautiful

Oddometer: 684
I left Houston, Tx the first week of June in 05 and the weather was pretty good. I actually would have liked it to be a little cooler. The other thing is that the mosquitoes were not real bad that early either. I am going back in probably 09 and plan on leaving about the same time or maybe a week earlier.
treysmagna is offline   Reply With Quote