Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 01:30 PM   #16
stovepipe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
sleep mask

it may be kinda funny,
but no need for a dark rainfly if you bring one of those sleep masks along with you.

I did so this summer and it definitely let me snooze, even in the blazing midnight sun.
stovepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,721
Alaska trip

I completed a Texas to Alaska back to Texas Ride with 3 others this past June. Expect all kinds of weather, especially Rain. Excellent Raingear will be required. Will also be from cool to almost hot, by there standards. Always keep you tank filled whenever you pass a gas station. Gas is alot more expensive than in good ole USA. Food is not a problem. Bugs can be aproblem. The roads will be better than you expect and other times worse than you imagined. Do not miss the chance do this ride, words cannot even come close to describing the ride. Plenty of campsites or expensive motels. Enjoy...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #18
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
In order to travel light, I'd rather not take my camping gear and stay at motels. Any problems with skipping the tent and sleeping bag? Other than the Dempster and Dalton, any real need to make motel reservations mid-June and July?
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #19
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,624
Gracias

OK all your comments are so good and best of all they allow me to dream and think I CAN.

I can see the points about gas, gear and tires, also I think I will go alone or with my buddy, the same one we went to Canada last July, since we are good friends and prety much have the same level or bke habits.

I will start with buying better maps for the nothern part of the trip, so I won't miss the most ride.

How much is it better to hotel it then camping? I know from an economic point of view but I am worry not to find hotels available North BC, Yukon and Alaska, are hotels that available for June-July?

Colthes? I will be buying the electic vest this winther and already have the 12V for the bike

Gracias and keep it comming
Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #20
charliemik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
All good advice here; gas, tires, RAIN GEAR, The Milepost. A month is good but if there's any possible way to take more time, do it. I did the ride to Prudhoe Bay from Northern Arizona in '05. We had a month and we had to average about 375 miles each and every day. If we wanted a layover day somewhere (we had 2) we had to double up on mileage somewhere else. We had a great trip but I sure would've liked more time.

BTW, my saddle sucked and 375 miles was a very long day (ouch!). Oh, if you like beer as much as I do , don't expect to get any in Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay). It's a company town and alcohol is stricktly verboten. I was tired and then sorely disappointed when I arrived and couldn't get a cold one .
charliemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #21
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 248
Almost every town in Northern B.C will have a hotel (don't expect much). Unless it is a Native village. It is hard to tell which ones they are just by a map so this is where planning comes in. Most roads are good but bare in mind that summer is prime road construction season. Filling up with fuel frequently is good advice.

NorthCoastRider screwed with this post 10-17-2007 at 12:23 AM
NorthCoastRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
cbx4evr
On a Wing & a KLR

Oddometer: 124
If you are looking for maps of Alberta and BC may I suggest the MapArt products. I live in Alberta and these are the two I use.

http://www.mapart.com/store/merchant...catid=1&step=4

"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "
cbx4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,794
Come up up the length of California via Highway 395 and into Oregon. Then hang a right on Highway 95 and take 95 all the way up through Idaho (beautiful ride on 95) and enter Canada above Bonners Ferry ID. Take the east port of entry into Canada and head for Banff and Jasper National Park.

Make sure you ride through Jasper on the Icefield Parkway. Then head west on CAN 16 all the way up to 36 north. From 36, head north to the Yukon and then take the "Top-Of-The-World-Highway" out of Dawson Yukon into Alaska. On the way home, head down the west coast of the US e.g.WA, OR & CA down the Pacific Coast Highway.

I took the Alaska Ferry back to Bellingham WA and then rode down the coast. The ride of a lifetime. It took me a full month to do this trip. Take your camping gear as a Plan B, but the only town that finding a room was iffy was Whitehorse. Otherwise, there was no problems finding rooms. I went in June.

Drifter screwed with this post 10-15-2007 at 10:32 PM
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

GOOOD advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemik
All good advice here; gas, tires, RAIN GEAR, The Milepost. A month is good but if there's any possible way to take more time, do it. I did the ride to Prudhoe Bay from Northern Arizona in '05. We had a month and we had to average about 375 miles each and every day. If we wanted a layover day somewhere (we had 2) we had to double up on mileage somewhere else. We had a great trip but I sure would've liked more time.

Charliemik Gracias for the advice but I only have 3 weeks from work and I will try to get 4 and if I am very lucky could get up to 5 weeks from my employer, the Wife... that is something else but I am being very good from now and I figure 2 or 3 years of being good could get me that time off. The 101 and 1 coming south I have done twice allready and it is worth a 3rd time and the 395 that is something that I am missing but a must next time.

I am shooting for summer of 2010 is it too far? not for me, I like to read, inform, plann and then just put it in a bag and let time decide... somehow at the end it is all good.

Damasovi
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #25
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

You SR. have it correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter
Come up up the length of California via Highway 395 and into Oregon. Then hang a right on Highway 95 and take 95 all the way up through Idaho (beautiful ride on 95) and enter Canada above Bonners Ferry ID. Take the east port of entry into Canada and head for Banff and Jasper National Park.

Make sure you ride through Jasper on the Icefield Parkway. Then head west on CAN 16 all the way up to 36 north. From 36, head north to the Yukon and then take the "Top-Of-The-World-Highway" out of Dawson Yukon into Alaska. On the way home, head down the west coast of the US e.g.WA, OR & CA down the Pacific Coast Highway.

I took the Alaska Ferry back to Bellingham WA and then rode down the coast. The ride of a lifetime. It took me a full month to do this trip. Take your camping gear as a Plan B, but the only town that finding a room was iffy was Whitehorse. Otherwise, there was no problems finding rooms. I went in June.

Now this sound like a road map.... I will keep you post it
Old 10-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #26
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbx4evr
If you are looking for maps of Alberta and BC may I suggest the MapArt products. I live in Alberta and these are the two I use.

Amigo thanks these are good maps, I actually have one and I used it last time I was in BC and work fine so I should be buying a couple more sometime soon, and have then sent to my friend in Vancouver and then go and get them my self

Damasovi
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #27
charliemik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
damasovi, 2010 is not too far to plan. By the time you're ready the anticipation will be more than you can stand. I went with 3 others and we really needed to start planning 2 years ahead, just to be able to get all of our work schedules worked out and get our wives used to the fact that we were gonna be gone for a month. We planned and dreamed and dreamed and planned and studied maps and figured out all the places we wanted to visit along the way and roads we wanted to ride. By the time we were ready we had memorized the roads to the point that we felt like we really knew them. I think it really helped to make for a much smoother journey have planned so thoroughly. You'll have a great trip.
charliemik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #28
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK by me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemik
damasovi, 2010 is not too far to plan. By the time you're ready the anticipation will be more than you can stand. I went with 3 others and we really needed to start planning 2 years ahead, just to be able to get all of our work schedules worked out and get our wives used to the fact that we were gonna be gone for a month. We planned and dreamed and dreamed and planned and studied maps and figured out all the places we wanted to visit along the way and roads we wanted to ride. By the time we were ready we had memorized the roads to the point that we felt like we really knew them. I think it really helped to make for a much smoother journey have planned so thoroughly. You'll have a great trip.
OK so this I will do, for my bday and xmast I will give my self a couple of maps of Alaska and the Yukon!! just to learn and remember the maps, just liekt you did!

Damasovi
Old 10-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #29
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Dama-
A lot of riders miss the heart of what AK is about and asskicking scenery while on their mileage quest to Prudoe Bay and back... got to have that pic of themselves by that stark landscape.

If you really want to get to know the culture and experience more intense scenery, slightly off the beaten path is where it's at. And the roads are fine enough.

I'd suggest looking hard at southeast AK and neighboring points in BC. Atlin, Altin Lake, Skagway, ferry hop to Haines, etc. Out to Homer from Anchorage is another decent trek.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #30
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

something for the mind

[quote=TwoShots]Dama-
A lot of riders miss the heart of what AK is about and asskicking scenery while on their mileage quest to Prudoe Bay and back... got to have that pic of themselves by that stark landscape.
%3