User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #61
NewEnglander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Me Too, Me Too

I had to add my name to the list going next year. I am taking my R1200GS and would gladly accept some of the vast wisdom of the ADV world to help me decide if I should carry any extra fuel. I have been considering fitting a r1200gs Adventure tank(8.7 Gal) or just strapping on an external gas can. Hope to see some of yall when I head up there in July 2008.

[COLOR=Red]2008 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
NewEnglander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #62
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
I had to add my name to the list going next year. I am taking my R1200GS and would gladly accept some of the vast wisdom of the ADV world to help me decide if I should carry any extra fuel. I have been considering fitting a r1200gs Adventure tank(8.7 Gal) or just strapping on an external gas can. Hope to see some of yall when I head up there in July 2008.
I rode an HP2 from Milwaukee to Anchorage last fall and never had a gas problem. Furthest stretch between stations was maybe 115 miles, ballpark. If you can make it 175 or so you're already carrying more than you'll need to have. If you've got the spare change rattling around though having a big tank on longer rides is really nice. It means I don't have to start thinking about fuel until my butt hurts... instead of thinking about it constantly.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 AM   #63
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Unless you are heading up the Dalton or Dempster wisdom is you won't need extra. For those two, some buy a cheap gas can at the jumping off town and toss it or give it away when they get back. Others spend a bunch on MSR bottles, fuel cells, empty soda bottles, used coffee bladders...
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #64
Nail24
Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer: 56
I'm new to Advrider board. I'm planninga trip to Alaska from Tryon, NC in May and need all the help I can get. I'll be riding my '04 R1100SA which has system cases, tank bag, Ohlins, PIAA moto lights, Pilot Road tires (will change to a dual sport tire in Canada), Corbin saddle, tall (18") windscreen, widder heated vest/gloves, heated grips, Throttlemeister, sleeping bag to-10 degrees, gortex rain gear and gloves, cigars, colapsible gas container, Deet, and the necessary quick dry underware. Don't plan to go all the way to the circle but I will go over to C'springs for the run up the Rockies through Idaho then up toward Whitehorse. Got GPS but like maps muct better. Does Nextel work in Canada and Alaska? There will be three of us--4 or more constitutes a Harley parade. lol I normally hang on Pelican Parts so hopefully you'll cut me some slack if I make a site faux pas (that's all the freach I know). Good tips and lessons learned welcomed. No, I ain't springing for a GS--to tall and I like to run the WNC and N GA twisties.

PS i moved this from my original post.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #65
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,507
Hello and welcome, Nail24.

You'll be fine. Just plan on slower travel if it's raining and muddy going thru construction zones in Canada and carry a mosquito headnet.

A +20f bag with a good sleeping pad would do unless you sleep cold. I recommend a 0 degree bag up here in the summer if someone sleeps cold.

Are you plannin on Dawson Yukon for Solstice? Over 100 advr's last year. Fun!

See ya, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #66
Nail24
Lighten up this is Fun

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
...Are you plannin on Dawson Yukon for Solstice? Over 100 advr's last year. Fun!

See ya, Mark H.
When does that happen? i'm planning on departing Georgia the middle of May.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #67
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
It's a long way to do it on 250

Somebody here suggested that it was to much of a ride to go to Alaska on a 250, I read (many times) the report of the guy who went on a TW200 and no mayor complains, I guess if people do it on 900 lbs (close to any way) GL1800 Goldwind I could do it on a smaller bike, and with the correct gear would be ok.

This is my intention just in case I get to go. I am reading the Milepost mag and will order the book to be better prepare. Also I am thinking of investing on a DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer: Has any boby use it? I would apreciate the info.

And happy holidays to all and the best for 08! Hope to see you in Alaska

Damasovi
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #68
AK Bear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,614
Riding to Alaska is really over rated in terms of difficulty. Fifty years ago when I was a kid it was a real serious trip in any vehicle, but the road is paved now. You can do it on any streatable bike, no matter what it's size. People do it on bicycles all the time for that matter.

When I was in college a friend of mine road his Yamaha 250 enduro from Anchorage to Gunnison Colorado with his dog in a basket on the back, in October. If he could do that on the old dirt road with almost no preparation, you will have no trouble in mid summer on a modern road. It is a wonderful ride with great sweepers and mountain roads, the sceenery is as good as it gets and you will have a wonderful time on what ever you ride. Have a good trip, Bear
AK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #69
RichDesmond
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Any opinions on which way to do the Cassier and AlCan?? I'm leaving in mid June this year, from Oklahoma. Been planning on going up through Glacier, Banff, Jasper, AlCan and Top of the World to Fairbanks, some time in Alaska and back via the Cassier. Is that the preferred direction, or the other way, or does it make a difference??
Old 01-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #70
RichDesmond
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
HI just to think a little more, if you to Alaska on 250 cc single, are you asking for it? I know there are plenty of reasons to do/not do it on the plus I can list the following:

+ less weight so if I drop it, I can solo pick it up
+ less speed less likely to get tickets
+ more control in the off road parts
- Less weight, more subjetc to weather
- less speed more time consuming
- less ability to carry stuff that I may need, right?

So should I forget the idea and take the KLR or should I venture on the smaller but lighter 250 ?

Damasovi
I think it would depend on which one. I used to have a KLR250, the seat on it was actually fairly comfortable and I did a few multi-day rides on it. I made a rear rack, that combined with soft saddlebags and a tank bag gave me enough luggage room. Some (most??) of the other 250s have truly wretched seats, so a long trip would be just torture. The downside to any 250 is that you can't cruise comfortably much above 65, so that limits your max daily mileage a bit. So a trip that might be doable in 3 weeks on a bigger bike might take 3 1/2 - 4 weeks on a 250. If you have the time, no problem.
I'm kind of in the same boat, I'd like to take my DR-Z400 on this trip, but with only 3 weeks I'm sure I'll need to put in some big mile days to make sure I don't have to rush through the good stuff. That means I'm taking the DL650.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #71
Spicy McHaggis
Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer: 3,789
Thumb

To put things into perspective - ALL kinds of vehicles have successfully and safely made the trip to and from Alaska.

Bicycles, Model T's, semi trucks, motos of all walks of life.

Ride whatever is most comfortable for YOU - and what you can afford!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #72
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDesmond
I think it would depend on which one. I used to have a KLR250, the seat on it was actually fairly comfortable and I did a few multi-day rides on it. I made a rear rack, that combined with soft saddlebags and a tank bag gave me enough luggage room. The downside to any 250 is that you can't cruise comfortably much above 65, so that limits your max daily mileage a bit. So a trip that might be doable in 3 weeks on a bigger bike might take 3 1/2 - 4 weeks on a 250. If you have the time, no problem.
Your points are all good, I have a HOnda Tornado and I could put some miles everyday, how many ? I still don't know but after 200 I feal I can go another 200 (at least). Top speed is not as good as on a 650 but I love it.

I could get 5 weeks (3 paid and 2 non-paid) but I don't think my CFO (AKA wife) would let me have that much fun all alone, jeje

So I guess the KLR is going to Alaska I will just have to pack better, progresive springs, and a skid plate.

Have a nice trip!!
Damasovi
damasovi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #73
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Any opinions on which way to do the Cassier and AlCan?? I'm leaving in mid June this year, from Oklahoma. Been planning on going up through Glacier, Banff, Jasper, AlCan and Top of the World to Fairbanks, some time in Alaska and back via the Cassier. Is that the preferred direction, or the other way, or does it make a difference??
I went north on the Cassier but lots of folks go the other way.It's all good.
Watson Lake to Stewart is a nice one day ride. Gives you time if the weather and or construction sucks. Stay at the Air Force Lodge in Watson Lake. Prince George to Stewart is a day also if your riding the speed limit.
Benjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #74
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
I would head up through Radium Hotsprings, pass through Glacier on the Going to Sun Hwy, to Whitefish, north on 93. Keep following 93 to Lake Louise, norht to Jasper. I would skip Banff. Its worth hittin the Cassiar, doesn't really matter which direction. Liard hot springs are nice, but you miss them w/ the Cassiar route.
Denalidirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #75
RichDesmond
Adventurer

Thanks for the input guys, 'preciate it.