ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,585
Just when you are having some of the best riding of your life

......something has to go wrong.

It was still an awesome weekend and some of the best riding I've had in a while, but your luck runs out every once in a while.

I'll post the teaser pics for now and tell the story tomorrow.

It's a bit blurry, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Maybe this will make it a bit clearer. (50 ft from the road and getting ready to head home.

Oh yeah, and thats what they were playing on! 10 more minutes and we probably would have missed them. They had 2 of them loaded already and were getting ready to load the other 2.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
craftkr
"Carpe Diem"

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
......something has to go wrong.

It was still an awesome weekend and some of the best riding I've had in a while, but your luck runs out every once in a while.

I'll post the teaser pics for now and tell the story tomorrow.

It's a bit blurry, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Maybe this will make it a bit clearer. (50 ft from the road and getting ready to head home.

Oh yeah, and thats what they were playing on! 10 more minutes and we probably would have missed them. They had 2 of them loaded already and were getting ready to load the other 2.
So what did they ticket you for? Where you all assraping the rare spotted mocking bird? Or is there no riding on that trail yall where on? Looks like you had fun...lol. Can't wait for the whole story.....

BMWMOA # 132796
craftkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftkr
So what did they ticket you for? Where you all assraping the rare spotted mocking bird? Or is there no riding on that trail yall where on? Looks like you had fun...lol. Can't wait for the whole story.....
The actual ticket says "vehicle off NFS roads". The offense is 36CFR261.56 (I think as it's hard to read. Maybe the others can look at theirs). We had just come down that steep Canada Creek trail, so nobody was rolling fast at all. In fact, we were coasting down that hill, so they almost didn't hear us until we got up to them. Their ATV's were just sitting there and thats what I saw first, and then notice the Truck. The officers were down by the road I think getting ready to get the trucks to load the other two ATV's.

If you can't tell from the picture, that is the entrance to Canada Creek right off Hwy 60 that heads up that very rocky incline. As wide open as that entrance is, that's a "closed road" We had actually come from the other direction and it's a regular road, that turns into gravel, then just gets smaller and smaller. Anyways, needless to say, it's not legal to ride on. It's actually in a wild life management area.

I guess they had been out there all day, but were actually focusing on the local ATV riders, you know non-helmet wearing, tearing everything up, drinking their beer etc, but we just happened to come up on them at the wrong time. Only one of them was actually a federal officer, and the rest were from the state. I think there was 5 or 6 of them, not sure. The federal guy said he would have let us go, but he couldn't do it in front of the state guys. :

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 09-18-2007 at 09:06 AM
Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
The federal guy said he would have let us go, but he couldn't do it in front of the state guys. :
[cough...bullshit]

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Just to tell you how unlucky we were to actually get stopped, that one federal officer with maybe a few others are over 6 or 8 GA counties. I think he said somewhere in the neighborhood of 375,000 acres they are responsible for, so they have a very hard time covering everything. The State guys were from other parts of the state, just to help out with this "special detail day" where they were focusing their enforcement in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kv
[cough...bullshit]

Maybe, maybe not, but he was pretty cool with us.

The federal guy was actually really cool and did help us out. While he had "Lucky-Strike" pulled away from the the group, he told him that he would follow us out of there and down 60 to keep the State guys from getting behind us. Apparently they, or a couple of the state guys noticed that I had no blinkers and Lucky was missing his tail light and were going to pull us over again down the road just to screw with us. The Federal guy pulled out behind us and let us get ahead and we all hauled ass.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,045
Quote:
Maybe, maybe not, but he was pretty cool with us.

The federal guy was actually really cool and did help us out. While he had "Lucky-Strike" pulled away from the the group, he told him that he would follow us out of there and down 60 to keep the State guys from getting behind us. Apparently they, or a couple of the state guys noticed that I had no blinkers and Lucky was missing his tail light and were going to pull us over again down the road just to screw with us. The Federal guy pulled out behind us and let us get ahead and we all hauled ass.
Yeah...that would have been a bunch of horse shit had they done that. They get tasked to seek out drunken rednecks only to go back to the office with a ticket for an equipment violation.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
I.P. Freely
Ragin Cajun

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv
[cough...bullshit]

Yep. It's all about the dead presidents. Twenty five minutes and $300.00 in tickets, we were back on the road. I still had a great time today. Thanks Flux for being our trail guide. That was some fun shit! I hope to do it again (except for the B.S. ticket!) on legal fire roads.
IBA Member #30237
I.P. Freely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by kv
[cough...bullshit]

Mang....that SUX!!!

I don't understand how they can ticket you for riding an UNPOSTED and UNGATED ROAD on street legal bikes!!!!

You NEED to ask the Judge/ Magistrate for some mercy on that deal.

(but now I'm a little less dissapointed with my bike selection for the weekend)

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
[quote=BlueLghtning]
If you can't tell from the picture, that is the entrance to Canada Creek right off Hwy 60 that heads up that very rocky incline. As wide open as that entrance is, that's a "closed road" We had actually come from the other direction and it's a regular road, that turns into gravel, then just gets smaller and smaller. Anyways, needless to say, it's not legal to ride on. It's actually in a wild life management area. [quote]

If that is the dirt road/trail that turns off to the West (in a sharp curve) just North of Suches I was up that several hundred yards on Saturday. I was pretty far ahead of Booj and KV returning from lunch. Had always wondered where it went. Got pretty rocky and the mud was pretty slick (for the 990) after the rain Friday night so I turned around.

I CALL BULLSHIT: Someone needs to go back up there and document the entrance. There are NO signs, NO gates, NO dug trench or NO piled up dirt even suggesting is was a closed road! That might be enough to sway the judge.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,654
[quote=GaelicDog][quote=BlueLghtning]
If you can't tell from the picture, that is the entrance to Canada Creek right off Hwy 60 that heads up that very rocky incline. As wide open as that entrance is, that's a "closed road" We had actually come from the other direction and it's a regular road, that turns into gravel, then just gets smaller and smaller. Anyways, needless to say, it's not legal to ride on. It's actually in a wild life management area.
Quote:

If that is the dirt road/trail that turns off to the West (in a sharp curve) just North of Suches I was up that several hundred yards on Saturday. I was pretty far ahead of Booj and KV returning from lunch. Had always wondered where it went. Got pretty rocky and the mud was pretty slick (for the 990) after the rain Friday night so I turned around.

I CALL BULLSHIT: Someone needs to go back up there and document the entrance. There are NO signs, NO gates, NO dug trench or NO piled up dirt even suggesting is was a closed road! That might be enough to sway the judge.
i would go to court to fight it but....but then i have to fight federal lawyers, they "can" make us restitution for damages on the trail, 6 months in prison, and 5000 dollar fine. seems like a big chance to take. ill just have toi eat the 75 dollars. but ill tell you what, there mission is complete , the xr is up for sale after the scrub. if i cant tell what is and what isnt a closed road, then i run the risk of a impounded bike everytime im there

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
i would go to court to fight it but....but then i have to fight federal lawyers, they "can" make us restitution for damages on the trail, 6 months in prison, and 5000 dollar fine. seems like a big chance to take. ill just have toi eat the 75 dollars. but ill tell you what, there mission is complete , the xr is up for sale after the scrub. if i cant tell what is and what isnt a closed road, then i run the risk of a impounded bike everytime im there
It may be worth a couple of phone calls and try to talk to the solicitor/prosecutor. Sometimes if you make a compelling case, you show them your reasoning they can reduce your ticket to a warning. I would think it would be like a speeding violation where no signs are posted. I mean, how do we know they were not in error? Not sure where to look first,,,, might be worth it to try to talk to the officer that wrote you (if he was that cool).

If I were in that group that got ticketed I would at the minimum make my case to your senator and/or representative and let them make the inquiries on your behalf. I do not want to ride on private property or closed roads/trails but by GOD there has to be a sign, gate or at the minimum a deterant to give me a hint it's closed.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
tennisman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Man, if only you could've gotten the ossifer to give the ADV salute in the group pic, you boys would be famous!!!

Sounds like a judge needs to see some pix showing the road to gravel to trail sequence...

Lance
tennisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #13
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
It may be worth a couple of phone calls and try to talk to the solicitor/prosecutor. Sometimes if you make a compelling case, you show them your reasoning they can reduce your ticket to a warning. I would think it would be like a speeding violation where no signs are posted. I mean, how do we know they were not in error? Not sure where to look first,,,, might be worth it to try to talk to the officer that wrote you (if he was that cool).

If I were in that group that got ticketed I would at the minimum make my case to your senator and/or representative and let them make the inquiries on your behalf. I do not want to ride on private property or closed roads/trails but by GOD there has to be a sign, gate or at the minimum a deterant to give me a hint it's closed.

i agree but first of all i have no idea were to even begin with that process, second i only have 30 days to pay the ticket or there is a federal warrent issued to me. (f that). i wish i had the time to set up a crt case and argue my case, but i neither have that or the money.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
Pengaleng
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer: 3,519
Yes those were ATV tracks that I saw the day before on Canada Creek at the log x'ing.

Also, if it is a closed access road. Why is it marked as a forest service road on the state map and then why does the Federal Wildlike Management Agency not show that same road (Canada Creek) as being in the Wildlife Management Area? For Dog's sake. The road has a state road sign on it off of FSR 42 and is it called Canada Creek Road.

Also, I had a great time and I'm sorry ya'll got stopped. I should have been there with you.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #15
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
I can't believe you guys got ticketed for riding Canada Creek. I would never have guessed that it was not legal. That sux.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote