ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007, 06:38 AM   #16
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Mang....that SUX!!!

I don't understand how they can ticket you for riding an UNPOSTED and UNGATED ROAD on street legal bikes!!!!

You NEED to ask the Judge/ Magistrate for some mercy on that deal.
Agreed 100%.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM   #17
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
It may be worth a couple of phone calls and try to talk to the solicitor/prosecutor. Sometimes if you make a compelling case, you show them your reasoning they can reduce your ticket to a warning. I would think it would be like a speeding violation where no signs are posted. I mean, how do we know they were not in error? Not sure where to look first,,,, might be worth it to try to talk to the officer that wrote you (if he was that cool).

If I were in that group that got ticketed I would at the minimum make my case to your senator and/or representative and let them make the inquiries on your behalf. I do not want to ride on private property or closed roads/trails but by GOD there has to be a sign, gate or at the minimum a deterant to give me a hint it's closed.
You are definitely right on that one. Of all the places we ride up there, that one was the least of my worries. There is absolutely no signs on either end of that trail and Pengaleng is correct that it actually starts off a name road called Canada Creek.

I'm not sure when they first heard us and knew we were coming down. I was the first one down and saw the ATV's first, but they were no where around them, and then I looked up and saw the truck and got a sick feeling in my stomach. Like I mentioned, they were just about ready to get packed up and head out of there, so they were by their trucks. If we would have been about 10 mins later, we probably would have missed them. It never even crossed my mind though to look down that hill and see if there were ever rangers or anything down at the bottom. We had been sitting up at the overlook for a good 10-15 mins before we jumped back on the bikes and headed down the hill. They probably heard us at some point as we were coming down the hill, but you are pretty much coasting down it, so none of us were making a lot of noise. I was a pretty good ways ahead of the other guys, so they actually thought it was only me at first, but then Lucky came behind me and the other guys weren't too far behind him.

I sure would like to find out how they can enforce that with no signs saying it's wild life management area and part of that is on a map.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #18
I.P. Freely
Ragin Cajun

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
You are definitely right on that one. Of all the places we ride up there, that one was the least of my worries. There is absolutely no signs on either end of that trail and Pengaleng is correct that it actually starts off a name road called Canada Creek.

I'm not sure when they first heard us and knew we were coming down. I was the first one down and saw the ATV's first, but they were no where around them, and then I looked up and saw the truck and got a sick feeling in my stomach. Like I mentioned, they were just about ready to get packed up and head out of there, so they were by their trucks. If we would have been about 10 mins later, we probably would have missed them. It never even crossed my mind though to look down that hill and see if there were ever rangers or anything down at the bottom. We had been sitting up at the overlook for a good 10-15 mins before we jumped back on the bikes and headed down the hill. They probably heard us at some point as we were coming down the hill, but you are pretty much coasting down it, so none of us were making a lot of noise. I was a pretty good ways ahead of the other guys, so they actually thought it was only me at first, but then Lucky came behind me and the other guys weren't too far behind him.

I sure would like to find out how they can enforce that with no signs saying it's wild life management area and part of that is on a map.
Are you going to pay the ticket or fight it?
IBA Member #30237
I.P. Freely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:54 AM   #19
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
The start of hunting season and so much DOG activity in this area, this is what we have to look foward too. We need to go explore Tellico and Caney fork area's and let it cool down. Or do some weekday ride's, my favorites. I need me a new dualsport. Hate that I missed out on the group photo guys, but I think I would have busted a u-turn and came out another way.
Really, I don't think it's the DOGS causing the attention in that area although i'm sure it doesn't help. They mentioned they were really after the ATV's that are totally illegal and riding in those areas. I had seen a few ATV's up there on Sat myself. Infact, they actually helped me get across that big tree as I was by myself when I got to it.

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 09-18-2007 at 04:10 PM
Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #20
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Is there any specific information on the ticket itself for where to pay it or what court it would go to? I know a lot of DNR stuff goes to the local county seat to be heard.

Was the ticket from a BLM Ranger?

I'll spend some computer and phone time on this one,,,, wrong is just wrong.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #21
Jack Daniel
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 11,993
So apparently you guys didn't see the cops before you got to the bottom of the hill

I'm sure I would have been far enough behind to have been able to turn around...

Or wait it out

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:44 AM   #22
Pengaleng
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer: 3,519
Here is what the conversation that the DNR and the State guys must have had just prior to planning their weekend joy ride on ATV's.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
"So gentlemen."

DNR guy says:

"The folks down in Suches, GA say they have seen several dirt style bikes ridding in the area. I say we get our guns and ATVs and go for a long enjoyable ride in the forest. I'm mean, hell, that's what the good tax paying american public PAY US for."

State guy:

"Yes, let's ride on the Canada Creek Road which is bound to have some bikes on it because it has NEVER been marked with WMA sign and has NEVER been posted at either end." "Besides that, there is this killer log crossing and I'll bet you every hair on my balls that I can ride this state owned ATV over it."

DNR guy:

"You are ON, my goofy fuck stick friend. And if we should happen to run into anyone ridding dirt style bikes on this completely accessible NON-POSTED road. I'll even write the tickets and draw up the paperwork when I get back to the office...and you state guys won't have to even lift you Dog'ed DAMNed fingers out of you’re asses."

>>>>>>>

FUCK THIS!!!!
Ken - pissed off slope-headed cousin fucker.

Pengaleng screwed with this post 09-17-2007 at 07:57 AM
Pengaleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #23
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
The actual ticket says "vehicle off NFS roads". The offense is 36CFR761.56 (I think as it's hard to read. Maybe the others can look at theirs).
I cannot find the statute mention above, anyone else have a better copy?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #24
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
I was always under the impression that most of the canada creek area was private property.

Private when you hang the right by the silo and cross the creek. It stays private past the cabin and until the top of the lookout. You're back on govt land when you come down the other side. At least that's what I was told.

Personally, I find it appalling that you dirt bike guys would ride over DIRT, a couple of rocks, and a dead tree. Don't you know what kind of environmental impact you have by riding over DIRT? You make me sick!
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:08 AM   #25
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
I cannot find the statute mention above, anyone else have a better copy?
that 3rd C is questionable as it was written much smaller then the other letters/numbers. Hopefully one of the other guys can chime in on what theirs says.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #26
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Is there any specific information on the ticket itself for where to pay it or what court it would go to? I know a lot of DNR stuff goes to the local county seat to be heard.

Was the ticket from a BLM Ranger?

I'll spend some computer and phone time on this one,,,, wrong is just wrong.
I'm actually getting quite good at this since this is my 2nd federal ticket this year! I got a ticket on the Natchez Trace Pky earlier this year and that was by a Federal Forrest Ranger also. The actual ticket has an envelope attached to it with an Atlanta mailing address. (I guess they really just want to mail it in). Infact, it goes to the same place as any federal ticket in the US would go. All Federal tickets go into this one black hole.

He said if we decided to fight it, we would be going to the federal court in Gainesville, GA. You just wait out the 30 days and then a federal summons would be mailed to you at your home address to appear in court on such and such date. Of course, if you didn't show to that, then you would have a federal arrest warrant put out for you.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #27
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
I'm actually getting quite good at this since this is my 2nd federal ticket this year! I got a ticket on the Natchez Trace Pky earlier this year and that was by a Federal Forrest Ranger also. The actual ticket has an envelope attached to it with an Atlanta mailing address. (I guess they really just want to mail it in). Infact, it goes to the same place as any federal ticket in the US would go. All Federal tickets go into this one black hole.

He said if we decided to fight it, we would be going to the federal court in Gainesville, GA. You just wait out the 30 days and then a federal summons would be mailed to you at your home address to appear in court on such and such date. Of course, if you didn't show to that, then you would have a federal arrest warrant put out for you.
Bah, federal schmederal, they're all just a buncha pussies! I say it's time we show these rights-stealing proletariat bastards the real meaning of "WE, the People!, and I'm suggesting it start with YOU!

I say you resist these lame attempts at Big Brother style control by ignoring this citation, and then the Federal summons and, of course, the arrest warrant by hiding out at an undisclosed fortified mountain compound.

oh and take your camera with you cuz I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, friends don't make friends get their pictures from mugshots and the media...

and btw, even though I didn't get to come up until late Sat. night, I really enjoyed seeing and partying with everyone and my ride on Flatland/ Cooper Creek (thank you kynbanjo ) on Sunday.

and for the record, I voted twice for Pengy to go ahead and burn the piknik table but unfortunately, cooler heads prevailed. till next time...

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach screwed with this post 09-17-2007 at 01:31 PM
ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #28
Pengaleng
Hellbilly Peckerwood

Oddometer: 3,519
He is RIGHT. YOU can do it.

I'll throw in $5.00 for the "stick it to the man, bench warrant" starter kit.

Starter kit.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #29
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengaleng
Here is what the conversation that the DNR and the State guys must have had just prior to planning their weekend joy ride on ATV's.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
"So gentlemen."

DNR guy says:

"The folks down in Suches, GA say they have seen several dirt style bikes ridding in the area. I say we get our guns and ATVs and go for a long enjoyable ride in the forest. I'm mean, hell, that's what the good tax paying american public PAY US for."

State guy:

"Yes, let's ride on the Canada Creek Road which is bound to have some bikes on it because it has NEVER been marked with WMA sign and has NEVER been posted at either end." "Besides that, there is this killer log crossing and I'll bet you every hair on my balls that I can ride this state owned ATV over it."

DNR guy:

"You are ON, my goofy fuck stick friend. And if we should happen to run into anyone ridding dirt style bikes on this completely accessible NON-POSTED road. I'll even write the tickets and draw up the paperwork when I get back to the office...and you state guys won't have to even lift you Dog'ed DAMNed fingers out of you’re asses."

>>>>>>>

FUCK THIS!!!!
Ken - pissed off slope-headed cousin fucker.
thats the funniest shit i ever heard. i would love to fight it and try and speak for the dirt in front of a judge. how many advers would be willing to go to court with us and protest this ticket?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:28 AM   #30
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
thats the funniest shit i ever heard. i would love to fight it and try and speak for the dirt in front of a judge. how many advers would be willing to go to court with us and protest this ticket?

I'll drop you off across the street from the courthouse but I'm not going in there with you. Bad things happen in those places.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote