ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #31
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
I cannot find the statute mention above, anyone else have a better copy?
It's 261

Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 36, Volume 2]
[Revised as of July 1, 2007]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 36CFR261.56]

[Page 325]

TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

CHAPTER II--FOREST SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

PART 261_PROHIBITIONS--Table of Contents

Subpart B_Prohibitions in Areas Designated by Order

Sec. 261.56 Use of vehicles off National Forest System roads.

When provided by an order, it is prohibited to possess or use a
vehicle off National Forest System roads.

[42 FR 2957, Jan. 14, 1977, as amended at 66 FR 3218, Jan. 12, 2001]
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #32
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
It's 261

Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 36, Volume 2]
[Revised as of July 1, 2007]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 36CFR261.56]

[Page 325]

TITLE 36--PARKS, FORESTS, AND PUBLIC PROPERTY

CHAPTER II--FOREST SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE

PART 261_PROHIBITIONS--Table of Contents

Subpart B_Prohibitions in Areas Designated by Order

Sec. 261.56 Use of vehicles off National Forest System roads.

When provided by an order, it is prohibited to possess or use a
vehicle off National Forest System roads.

[42 FR 2957, Jan. 14, 1977, as amended at 66 FR 3218, Jan. 12, 2001]
I know I am just playing the devils advocate here, but were they not ticketed off a STATE HIGHWAY?? Like 20 feet off GA60? And there are no signs designating state or federal land, nothing. How would Joe Sixpack have a clue as to what he was doing?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #33
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
I've got to get to work but I'll say real quick the worst part is that now we are "on the list."
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #34
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
i would go to court to fight it but....but then i have to fight federal lawyers, they "can" make us restitution for damages on the trail, 6 months in prison, and 5000 dollar fine. seems like a big chance to take. ill just have toi eat the 75 dollars.

Ya know the more I think about what I'd do the more I agree with this part of lucky's statement.

Even if you win......you lose!

1) court cost would be more than $75
2) you may convince "them" to gate and barricade all kinds off stuff
3) you move your name even further up "the list" (no mercy next time boy)

It would be nice if you could contact the Federal officer to see if he might pull them though..........he did admit to putting on a show for the "State Boys" and let you get a safe lead on the street.

and if you lose in court...........what if the "green Hollywood billionaires" want to make an example out of you "Squid Billies"?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:23 AM   #35
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,661
I AGREE BANJO. IT SUX FOR SURE.

i would love to go to court with a big support group of dual sporters, try and prove my point and figure out a way to gain access to trails, wether it be a yearly fee, or spmething. this could be a great oppurtunity to get something like that in works. on the other hand, it would take alot of riders, and alot of time. i never really knew how badly the trails are limited to us because of hunters and hippies. we should be allowed to share the forest to some extent.

i would at least like a closed sign on trails we cant ride so i dont get a ticket, cause even if there is no signage we are still cited. so yes there may be more signs, but they wee closed anyways.

i wish there was something we could do, some direction of how to get this started.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #36
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:

i would love to go to court with a big support group of dual sporters, try and prove my point and figure out a way to gain access to trails, wether it be a yearly fee, or spmething. this could be a great oppurtunity to get something like that in works. on the other hand, it would take alot of riders, and alot of time. i never really knew how badly the trails are limited to us because of hunters and hippies. we should be allowed to share the forest to some extent.

i would at least like a closed sign on trails we cant ride so i dont get a ticket, cause even if there is no signage we are still cited. so yes there may be more signs, but they wee closed anyways.

i wish there was something we could do, some direction of how to get this started.
Just tell the hunters to have an open season on the hippies.

DON'T push for signs to mark the closed roads. They will post them all with signs, then the next person to get a ticket (me) will pay $500.

What did they say about this "list"
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #37
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
DON'T push for signs to mark the closed roads. They will post them all with signs, then the next person to get a ticket (me) will pay $500.
I'm thinking it's best to leave it like it is too.

A $75 ticket sucks....but......it's the other stuff that worries me.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #38
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,542
Quote:

I think you should fight it. Everybody backs down because they are afraid of the cost/repercussions, but goddman it those people work for you and me, not the other way around. The court system may be rigged against you, but isn't the beauty of this country that you at least get a chance?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM   #39
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,661
a chance to spend 6 months in a federal pen, have to pay whatever amount for restitution, and a 5000 fine.....too big of a chance.

the list is sentt to every national wildlife park in the country. 2nd offense is prison, impounded vehicle, fines, restiution of damaged property. it works kinda like how a cop can read yuour past offenseson his computer, the federal officer can do the same, but with other wildlife mang areas.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:15 AM   #40
tennisman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
So....... we're actually only supposed to ride on FS roads? If that's the case, the D/S rides are gonna get pretty boring; I always view the FS roads as a way to get to better stuff, but if we're breakin' the law on every ride, the odds are against us.

Lance
tennisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #41
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman
So....... we're actually only supposed to ride on FS roads? If that's the case, the D/S rides are gonna get pretty boring; I always view the FS roads as a way to get to better stuff, but if we're breakin' the law on every ride, the odds are against us.

Lance
Pretty sure that's what the regs say. You can ride on FS road and trails specifically designated for OHV or MC's, technically you can't ride on a pig trail just cause there isn't a sign saying you can't.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #42
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,784
Lucky, you do have to figure that some of the stuff they were feeding us was total BS. I'm sure the federal courts have much better things to do then deal with some guys who were "supposedly riding on a closed road". Did they really say they kept a list. I thought that was just conversations between us speculating about things?

I've got an e-mail out to a friend to see what he thinks as he's got some background into all of the court processes and how it all works.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #43
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
Pretty sure that's what the regs say. You can ride on FS road and trails specifically designated for OHV or MC's, technically you can't ride on a pig trail just cause there isn't a sign saying you can't.
Finding a pig trail back in the woods is one thing and heck I would have been a lot less upset about it had it been something like that that we were caught for, but a wide trail as this is that comes off a state US Highway should have some signage or gate. For them, it was basically an easy target. It looks like a big jeep trail and I never thought otherwise of it. I guess the well used ones are the ones to look out for though too.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #44
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
a chance to spend 6 months in a federal pen, have to pay whatever amount for restitution, and a 5000 fine.....too big of a chance.

the list is sentt to every national wildlife park in the country. 2nd offense is prison, impounded vehicle, fines, restiution of damaged property. it works kinda like how a cop can read yuour past offenseson his computer, the federal officer can do the same, but with other wildlife mang areas.

If you think that the 2nd offence is really that bad, and you believe the "list" theory, I'd do some research on it before you plead guilty.

You'll be driving along the blue ridge parkway 3 years from now and get busted because you pulled off the road to take a piss. Slammer time. We'll be sending cigs to the pen ATTN: lucky strOke.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #45
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Finding a pig trail back in the woods is one thing and heck I would have been a lot less upset about it had it been something like that that we were caught for, but a wide trail as this is that comes off a state US Highway should have some signage or gate. For them, it was basically an easy target. It looks like a big jeep trail and I never thought otherwise of it. I guess the well used ones are the ones to look out for though too.
I have no real interest in getting in trouble much anymore, I'd rather go about my business and ride where I am supposed to. If a trail is closed, MARK IT. If a road is closed, GATE IT. If a pig path is off limits dig a ditch or pile dirt in front of it,,,,, do something, give me a hint, spin a vowel or something! Do not leave it with open and clear access just to gain revenue off of it. Thats as bad as closing GA 60, not telling anyone and ticketing everyone that shows up!!

What is this road/Trail called or marked as on the Garmin mapping software?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote