ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #46
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,727
canada creek i believe.

and im with ya. i just dont want to get in trouvle anymore. if its closed mark it. i rather them put gates on all the closed trails so im not misunderstood.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #47
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
It's not marked on any maps I can find including Garmin's mapsource, but I did pull a map off the USFS site and it shows the Canada Creek road that we entered this from off of Gaddistown road.

In red is basically the "Canada Creek Trail" as we call it. It pretty much follows the same path as the Creek, but up on the ridge. It runs from Hwy 60 over to Canada Creek Rd. If you are coming from Gaddistown rd, it's paved up until you turn on Canada Creek rd. There it turns to gravel. Further down there is a fork in the road. The right fork is what would have been Canada Creek Rd as it goes over to Coopers Gap. You can see in the map, it shows a break here and that make sense as there are mounds there that effectively show that way is closed. However, to the left fork is an open gate with no other signs saying anything else. That is the way we came and what takes you to the trail that eventually dumps you out on 60.

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #48
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
If you think that the 2nd offence is really that bad, and you believe the "list" theory, I'd do some research on it before you plead guilty.

You'll be driving along the blue ridge parkway 3 years from now and get busted because you pulled off the road to take a piss. Slammer time. We'll be sending cigs to the pen ATTN: lucky strOke.
You make a really good point there. There is so many things that are run by USFS other then just this small area in Suches, GA. That's why I'm really trying to find out the full extent of the effects of this other then just a simple $75.00 fine.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #49
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Here's one from last weekend. FS 360D is also the Rocky Flats OHV trail. There is nothing at the beginning of FS 360D or elsewhere to let you know that this FS road is also an OHV trail. The only way to know unless somebody tells you is to see it listed on the federal site.

Along the way there are side trails and places where people have hill climbed which are marked with the yellow no motorized vehicle signs. Looking at the map on the federal site, the ohv trail ends where my bike is, and you don't ride over that hump. I have heard the trail ain't to shabby beyond that hump, but there is no yellow no motorized vehicle sign there. Ride over the hump and on or not?
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #50
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
well since I missed the fun

and I would have been there on the XT

except for this erector set in me shoulder

I figgered I'd just ASK, like a non involved citizen has a RIGHT to do.... right

I just posted this e-mail to NFS off their website, with a reply to my e-mail.

In general, if a road is otherwise marked as a FS road, either by signs at the location or on USFS maps, AND is not physically posted as CLOSED, can a citizen be ticketed for being on said road on a legal, state registered motor vehicle (lights, tags, registration, insurance, i.e.; "street legal")?

In addition to there being no signs indicating the road to be closed, there is no gate, barrier, ditch, chain, cable, bulkwark, fence or any indication that said road is indeed closed.

Please cite the applicable FS Regulations and/or CFR.

thank you

I will post up any reply
Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #51
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
My story...sorry, it's long-winded

Just to fill in the blanks here.

First, we came to this trail by means of an actual ROAD that people LIVE on. It is called Canada Creek and Blue Lightning described it's location to a tee. There IS a gate halfway through the way we went, but it is OPEN and has been OPEN for as long as I have ridden this "road."

Yes, we were about 20 feet from Highway 60 about 5 miles north of Suches where this trail ends. As you can tell by Blue's pics, this trail is NO pig trail...it is as wide as a large truck. In fact, I know a certain someone here who has brought a Toyota FJ up this damn rocky hillclimb. The infamous FIRST SECTION is listed on my GPS and maps as a road and it can be much more impassable than Canada Creek, esp after a good rain.

No, there are absolutely NO signs of this "road" being closed to travel. No signage, no gate (open or closed), no snake pit, no nothing. From hwy 60, it LOOKS like a ROAD.

Hell, one third of the PAVED roads in this part of Georgia don't have damn road signs designating it as an actual road...should I avoid those as well?

It was ONE FEDERAL DNR guy, and maybe 5 or 6 local ones. The fed is the one that mostly dealt with us. He wrote the tickets, he told us what was up. The locals didn't know SHIT. I actually would ask them a few questions and they would tell me I should ask the other guy (referring to the fed). The fed was actually genuinely a nice guy and I honestly felt he would have given us a warning if it wasn't for the local guys. The others have already mentioned him letting us slip out so the locals wouldn't ticket us again on the street for 'faulty equipment' which it IS true there was some faulty equipment (hell, Headlight Lucky was with us!). I tell you I trusted he was being honest with us.

Fight or Pay? Guys, you have to put yerselves in OUR shoes (er, boots) here. Yeah, it is REAL easy to say fight it when it ain't YOUR ass on the line. No offense to anyone, and I hope you ALL know me good enough by now to know I mean that when I say it. I speak my mind without beating around the bush, ya know? Consider the consequences if we fail, okay? I have already talked to one resident ADV lawyer and he says honestly we have to look at the possibility of failure. Not saying we WILL fail, but we could. They can put us in the slammer for 6 months, max fine of $5K, not to mention reparition (I keep fucking up that word so correct me if I am wrong) for damage to the land. They COULD have confiscated our bikes but they did not. I don't wanna be pushed around any more than anyone else, but unless someone is willing to pay all of these expenses for us I don't know how I can personally fight this thing. I know none of the 4 of us are loaded with money. I surely can't afford an attorney right now, and I REALLY can't afford the max penalty. Not to mention, our names would STILL be on the 'list.' There are about a MILLION other things I would rather do than lose money while I sit all day in FEDERAL COURT in GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA. I am TOTALLY open to suggestions here. We have 30 days from the occurence to pay or we then get subpoenaed for court.

By the way, apparently we were in a Wildlife Management Area. That was according to the Fed...the locals knew nothing about it.

Trust me, if we could have avoided them, we would have.

The Fed told us that locals have been comlaining and saying they are not doing their jobs. Trout fishermen complain that we erode the creek walls, choking out streams. Horse riders complain about us, hikers surely bitch about us, bicyclists hate us as well. We are a very SMALL minority of folks that make us trail users, that is just a fact. The environmentalists will always win. I just don't see it any other way.

I see no point in even OWNING the 525 anymore. My KLR will see more seat time now than it ever has, seeing as how basically almost all of the numbered 'LEGAL' roads are easy enough to ride on an SV650 even. The 525 is overkill for that, and it sucks on the street. I've been going over and over in my head what to do about it and then my wife came up with the only good thing about the whole experience...wait til the 690's come out then sell what I got and get one of those.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #52
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtphreak

I will post up any reply
Dude, please do.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #53
tennisman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
I see no point in even OWNING the 525 anymore. My KLR will see more seat time now than it ever has
Damn, FBA-4 is gonna be a KLR tour of I-285 with stops at Lenox and Atlantic Station

Say it ain't so................

Lance
tennisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #54
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman
Damn, FBA-4 is gonna be a KLR tour of I-285 with stops at Lenox and Atlantic Station

Say it ain't so................

Lance
why do you think i have my xr 600 r for sale in the flea market? i dont think there is going to be an fba 4

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #55
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

As of right now, no there will not be a FBA4. I want to run the good stuff too bad, and I can't be responsible for 20 riders going through it. Hell, we all went through Canada Creek last time!
Old 09-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #56
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Great post Flux. You pretty much summed up everything I have on my mind.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #57
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
I see no point in even OWNING the 525 anymore.

bummer.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #58
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Selling bikes? Settle down Beavis. WTF are you guys thinking?.........

First off...

It's a $75 bullshit ticket. Yes, it carries a max penalty of 6 months, yadda yadda. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ALL traffic violations are misdemeanors which could carry up to a year in the pokey. If you get a speeding ticket, they can haul your ass to jail and impound your car too. The reality is that there's no point in doing it 99% of the time. They are not going to put you in prison for riding a fucking dirtbike. ( unless you fuck with them a bunch )

List? I seriously doubt that there is a secret list of dirtbikers who have ridden out of bounds. They might fuck with you a bunch if a similar conviction shows up on your criminal history, but I doubt you'll do prison time for accidently getting lost in the woods again. I would not recommend getting caught by the same guy and/or the same spot again though. I'd find out if the offense is going to show as a criminal conviction. I doubt it would, but it might be worth checking to be sure. If not, then who cares? It's not a big deal.

And don't forget, there are plenty of places to ride besides suches.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #59
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
i think everyone should sell their street legal dirtbikes and ride klrs and sv650s on all the fs roads and never ride off them again
that is a great idea and then we could all buy gs's and 950"s ride around the paved roads and have dinner and then we would all be in the true adv
spirit !!!

flux call bernard and get that klr done before you lose the 950 so we can still ride!!

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #60
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Selling bikes? Settle down Beavis. WTF are you guys thinking?.........

First off...

It's a $75 bullshit ticket. Yes, it carries a max penalty of 6 months, yadda yadda. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure ALL traffic violations are misdemeanors which could carry up to a year in the pokey. If you get a speeding ticket, they can haul your ass to jail and impound your car too. The reality is that there's no point in doing it 99% of the time. They are not going to put you in prison for riding a fucking dirtbike. ( unless you fuck with them a bunch )

List? I seriously doubt that there is a secret list of dirtbikers who have ridden out of bounds. They might fuck with you a bunch if a similar conviction shows up on your criminal history, but I doubt you'll do prison time for accidently getting lost in the woods again. I would not recommend getting caught by the same guy and/or the same spot again though. I'd find out if the offense is going to show as a criminal conviction. I doubt it would, but it might be worth checking to be sure. If not, then who cares? It's not a big deal.

And don't forget, there are plenty of places to ride besides suches.

some one with some sense finally
i hope they don't have a secret list of crazed dirt bikers either but if they do i wish they would share it with us so we could ride with them and see if they could keep up with ga!#@$!#@$!#%%wann#%%$!#@%1432be

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote