ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 03:59 PM   #76
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper
I have friends that were riding just ahead of me and were stopped on the Blue Ridge Parkway and were given a citation and the speach about the list.
When I pulled in behind the ranger I was told to move along or I would be charged with interfering with an officer. My buddies chose to contact a lawyer and were told by the lawyer that indeed there is a federal law enforcement database that does list individuals and denotes their transgressions. I for one wouldn't want to have federal rangers catch me a second time for anything. Lawyers aren't cheap and I sure wouldn't want to deal with a wrecker yard worker over the storage fees and towing charges.

This whole incident on Canada Creek Road is unfortunate and I would imagine that this is just the beginning of things to come for off-roaders on public lands. I hate to think that I have to go to Wissenhunt or Tellico ORV to enjoy a day out in the woods on my DR650. I won't do it! Those places are pretty worn out and covered up with wild ass people. And driving 30 hours to Utah or Colorado once a year ain't gonna cut it for me either. I'll just go back to riding the street if I'm stuck riding Coopers Creek Road and Duncan Ridge Road endlessly. Maybe we should get a group for an outing to Highland Park soon?
Highland Park sounds like fun, but I can ride everything out there in two hours and some of it twice. When I go riding I like to make a day of it. I will ride a bunch on the way and on the way back from Highland Park and hope to not get caught. If AND when I get something else to ride I will be ready to get together for a Highland park ride though.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #77
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Hey y'all...I appreciate all these comments and the support of all kinds. Everyone here recognizes that this could have been them and that is a strength we have as a group for sure.

We have talked now with more than one attorney. The general verdict here is that it is not worth the time to take this on in court. $75 is not worth it. Many of you share the same setiment.

Like I said, we have 30 days from the date to mail in the $ or face a subpoena.

I have not mailed in my $ yet. I am weighing all my options first. No need to be hasty.

I intend to follow up with some folks, starting with the ranger district. Trust me I will keep everyone up to speed.

Now then, sorry about my rant from last night. Yeah, I am pissed about the whole thing. it's fucked up, that is the bottom line. I am NOT giving up on dual sporting at ALL. I love it, it is my passion, it is honestly what I think about 98% of my life. When I am mowing lawns, i think about riding. When I am drawing, i think about riding. When I am fuc....wait. That's that 2% I spoke of. I do feel though, that my 525 is overkill for the forest roads and that I could do just as well with a 690 when they come out...so yes, I'll be selling the 525 more than likely. It is just not the right bike for me, no matter how much I love it. 500 mile oil changes are killer, and a deal breaker for any trips without a truck to Tellico, etc.

But guys, this is not a new problem. It has been happening everywhere. Just look south to our brothers in Ocala. Take a look over at dixiedualsport for legal stuff. Just now, it is hitting home for all of us.

If anything, this has taught me that I need to be more active politically than I am right now in this sport. I am not a member of the AMA, or anything like that. it's time i step up and involve myself with more than DOG so we'll see what happens with that. I encourage you ALL to do the same. When I figure out what I'm gonna do, I'll get the word out.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #78
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor

Now then, sorry about my rant from last night. Yeah, I am pissed about the whole thing. it's fucked up, that is the bottom line. I am NOT giving up on dual sporting at ALL. I love it, it is my passion, it is honestly what I think about 98% of my life. When I am mowing lawns, i think about riding. When I am drawing, i think about riding. When I am fuc....wait. That's that 2% I spoke of. I do feel though, that my 525 is overkill for the forest roads and that I could do just as well with a 690 when they come out...so yes, I'll be selling the 525 more than likely. It is just not the right bike for me, no matter how much I love it. 500 mile oil changes are killer, and a deal breaker for any trips without a truck to Tellico, etc.
Why are you trying to rationalize the purchase of the 690 to us? I say DO IT! (so I can ride it)
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 PM   #79
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Hell, I figure if I tell enough people that JEN had the idea, she can't renig on it when the time comes.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #80
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Why are you trying to rationalize the purchase of the 690 to us? I say DO IT! (so I can ride it)
Plus one again. Hell I thought 75 dollars was a deal. It cost me 79 for running a red light on a damn bicycle.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #81
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,869
It's just jail you guys, what are you scared of? Seriously though, I'm all about stop the oppresion and give me my 40 mules, bla bla bla, but what will one day of lost wages cost you guys, I bet it's more than $75. I say screw em and do what Matt is talking about and head out west, it's alot better out there anyways. I'm in for a week next year.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #82
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,369
This kind of stuff pisses me off. A group of LEGAL guys riding something that by all appearances is LEGAL get Ticketed.

Personally I'd probably end up paying the $75 fine especially if it didn't hurt my Insurance. An Attorney plus time away from work is costly. If you could just plead your case to a DA or Magistrate or someone then what's to lose, but it looks like this is more compllicated than that.

Most DAs/Magistrates etc are pretty sensible folks. Not long ago I got a ticket for making an illegal pass; I was 2nd in line at a left turn signal (green) behind a dump truck and I passed him on the inside leaving the light. Just my luck a cop is a ticket writing spree on the street we're turning on to, doesn't care why I passed just that I did and it was illegal. I got see the DA and tell him I was on a Motorcycle and the Truck was dumping gravel. DA throws the ticket out, no fines, no fees etc. So don't rule out you can't wan just 'cause you're the little guy fightin' the system.

I'd definetly make some calls to people in the NFS offices and even write your Districts Congress Rep and Senator about the situation (they won't get your ticket dismissed but it raises the awareness of the corruption and discrimination against our sport). You'd be amazed, but some of them will even personally respond.

I wrote Mary Landrieu (D) and David Vitter (R) about an issue regarding Health Insurance Discrimation towards Motorcylists that a Bill that was being put up for Vote in the Senate that would legally allow this discrimantion!! and told them to support us Bikers and other people who engage in "Dangerous Sports" and not vote the bill in. Mary didn't respond but Vitter PERSONALLY wrote back; (he said he'd vote NO) I was quite amazed.

I wish you guys the best of luck and it'll be a shame to loose a good riding area.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:13 AM   #83
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
$75 is not worth it,,,,,,,,,,,,, thats what they are hoping for. They write the ticket and it's not worth fighting and their coffers are $75 deeper. When is it worth it? $100, $200 or $500?

I will keep fighting until I get you boys cleared or put in prison!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 AM   #84
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
$75 is not worth it,,,,,,,,,,,,, thats what they are hoping for. They write the ticket and it's not worth fighting and their coffers are $75 deeper. When is it worth it? $100, $200 or $500?

I will keep fighting until I get you boys cleared or put in prison!
You must have plenty of time on your hands, because when I'm not working I like to ride. I know that area is a blast but I can breeze through it in 30 minutes or less. Hell I will knock it out of my 12 hour ride and add something else in and still have a blast. Lets just ride while we are young enough. If they would have came off HWY 60 this would have been a warning. The way they came through is what gotem the ticket. Just my 2 cents. On the other hand if they came through from 60 and the rangers were over on Canada creek beside the creek or near the Gaddistown gate they would have been ticketed.

GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB screwed with this post 09-20-2007 at 04:30 AM
Old 09-20-2007, 06:27 AM   #85
Tripper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Nfs

Flux, I think you have the right idea about checking with the head ranger to see exactly what is legal and what is not. Having a map that showed the approved trails for dual-sport use would be a big relief for those that want to behave appropriately. Perhaps the forest service would see that as a sign that we are all not dicks raw hiding the woods for our own selfish pleasures. And Highland Park is not my first choice either, as I don't really care to trailer all the way to Cedartown for a few hours of riding on my heavy ass DR650. That area just doesn't have the same allure that Blood Mountain does for me.

~lloyd
Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:09 AM   #86
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
You must have plenty of time on your hands, because when I'm not working I like to ride. I know that area is a blast but I can breeze through it in 30 minutes or less. Hell I will knock it out of my 12 hour ride and add something else in and still have a blast. Lets just ride while we are young enough. If they would have came off HWY 60 this would have been a warning. The way they came through is what gotem the ticket. Just my 2 cents. On the other hand if they came through from 60 and the rangers were over on Canada creek beside the creek or near the Gaddistown gate they would have been ticketed.

I really do not have that much spare time either, but I'll make the time. Wrong is wrong. I am not trying to make this more of a Federal issue than it already is. I probably ride more in a month than most people do in a year,,,,,,,,,,, That is why I am so upset by this. If I am asked to play by the rules I expect that out of the rangers as well.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #87
jetdoctor
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 159
Hi Guys,
I'm glad you are not quitting the dualsport game. That would really suck if that was the outcome of this.
I third, fourth etc. the idea of going to the forest service office and talking to one of the head rangers about this. Hopefully they will have some common sense about this issue. I never thought of it, but the only ones who were really illegal were the rangers riding unlicensed atv's.
Personally, once the hunting seasons are over they will cut out the overtime and you will no longer see many rangers out and about seeking to generate revenue.
I just got back from a 2 week trip out west. They have some issues out there too. But, there is a lot of land and not too many people using it--unlike the N. GA. Mtns. We got a 20 min lecture in Canyonlands about not walking around out in the desert because we would be disturbing the "macrobiotic soil."
Lord willing and the creek does not rise, I will be back in Moab next spring. There is some great riding out there, but you had better be prepared--you are a long way from anything/anyone. Now that would be a BIG adventure if you went out there.
I have no problem throwing my DRZ in the back of my truck to visit somewhere distant. Since they do not make tires like on the Mach 5 where you can push a button and knobbies pop out/dual range transmissions, it is hard to ride a bike to where you can do some serious offroading. Do some truck pooling to share expenses and you are all set.
Good luck,
Doug

See my Pictures at:
http://www.pbase.com/jetdoctor
jetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #88
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Moab would be a GREAT trip. I just wish I could take a week off when it's warm enough to ride out there. Oh yeah, everyone knows BMW's have that Mach 5 modification.

As far as the ticket thing goes, I have decided to pay the fucker. I don't have the time or the money to fight it, and frankly I just wanna get back to the point where I don't think about it all day anymore. It is all I have thought about since it happened. I still intend to follow up with the NFS and get more involved in the legal aspect of riding, but I gotta put this behind me at some point. I'm also a little worried that they will go berserk and put signs up EVERYWHERE (even though technically they don't need to sign ANYTHING to mark it as closed.)
Old 09-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #89
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Moab would be a GREAT trip. I just wish I could take a week off when it's warm enough to ride out there. Oh yeah, everyone knows BMW's have that Mach 5 modification.

As far as the ticket thing goes, I have decided to pay the fucker. I don't have the time or the money to fight it, and frankly I just wanna get back to the point where I don't think about it all day anymore. It is all I have thought about since it happened. I still intend to follow up with the NFS and get more involved in the legal aspect of riding, but I gotta put this behind me at some point. I'm also a little worried that they will go berserk and put signs up EVERYWHERE (even though technically they don't need to sign ANYTHING to mark it as closed.)
Plus one on the signs and gates. Flux you need to head to Sylva. Check it out.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268700
Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #90
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Plus one on the signs and gates. Flux you need to head to Sylva. Check it out.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268700

Looks like fun Mike. I really HATE having to toss the bike in the back of the truck though...absolutely cannot stand having to go back to home base to scoop up my things. A 690 would cure that issue.