ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #91
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
A 690 would cure that issue.
You're bitching about a $75 ticket while trying to rationalize the purchase of a $8300 thumper? If that's not irony, I don't know what is.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #92
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
You're bitching about a $75 ticket while trying to rationalize the purchase of a $8300 thumper? If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I should just bend over and let Uncle Sam RAPE me for my money instead of enjoying it the way that I see fit.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #93
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I should just bend over and let Uncle Sam RAPE me for my money instead of enjoying it the way that I see fit.
Lighten up Francis. I was just fuckin with ya. Don't let the man get you down because of this one incident. Ride the KLR up here and I'll show you some dualsport rides. That bike will handle it (look at Willy-B) you know.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #94
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Lighten up Francis. I was just fuckin with ya. Don't let the man get you down because of this one incident. Ride the KLR up here and I'll show you some dualsport rides. That bike will handle it (look at Willy-B) you know.
How about the 950?
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #95
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
How about the 950?
With you riding it, no problem. Come on up before they close the trails for hunting season.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 AM   #96
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,623
Quote:
Maybe you missed the after sentence. No ill intention was meant, and I'd be happy to come up for a visit sometime.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 AM   #97
jaydee1445
Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer: 3,940
I didn't see where their position is if not marked open it is closed. Did the fed take that stand?
The only way to fight that is a law suit against NFS.
Set up a trust fund to receive donations from both the 4wd and motorcycle community.
That would only force the Feds to mark trails closed. Not really anything to gain.

Forgive me if this is 205, but we have the same problem in Ocala. They are closing allot of the # roads that are on the map sold @ the ranger station.

Quote:
All roads and trails on the entire Ocala NF are closed except where "signed as open." Trails are designated with symbols for each type of vehicle permitted on each trail. Please stay on the appropriate trail for your vehicle.
Currently no fees are in effect for the Phase II (central portion) of the forest. Pending a decision, trails will be designated and fees will apply.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recr...cala_ohv.shtml
jaydee1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #98
Nichelob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
So whatever came of this? I'm charged with the same violation off hwy 105 in Pisgah NF and have my court date this Wednesday. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier!
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #99
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichelob
So whatever came of this? I'm charged with the same violation off hwy 105 in Pisgah NF and have my court date this Wednesday. Wish I would have seen this thread earlier!
IIRC they all mailed in the $$
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #100
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
We all just paid it and moved on.

I actually ended up with 2 federal tickets that year both by Federal Rangers. The other one I got on the Natchez Trace Pky. Neither one of them ever showed up on my record.

Honestly, its not worth messing with the federal courts. Did they give you an envelope to mail to an office in Atlanta? All federal tickets go there.

If you can just pay it, I would.

How much they charging? Both of mine were $50 + $25 processing fee. $75 was pretty cheap to pay for a bit of fun.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #101
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,212
I'd like to try and resurrect this old thread. Several years later now - what are everyone's thoughts and experiences regarding these issues?
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #102
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Boy, this an old thread.....

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #103
BlueLghtning OP
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
I'd like to try and resurrect this old thread. Several years later now - what are everyone's thoughts and experiences regarding these issues?
I don't think I've been on that road/trail since this episode, especially since its actually "marked" now by the yellow signs even though it wasn't back when this happened over 3 years ago. If I remember correctly, I think someone else mentioned that its now marked/gated somewhere near where you crossed the river stream coming from the other direction but that's just hearsay. I really hate it as that was one of my favorites up there. I used to lead DS rides all the time in N. GA and that pretty much stopped after this. Just riding FS roads got boring and venturing down questionable trails just didn't seem as appealing anymore. I sold the KTM 520 not long after this too because it wasn't any fun on just FS roads and definitely not on the paved roads for any distance.

I got into dirt biking for a couple years and got away from the dual sports, but eventually the dual sports called me back. I still love dual sporting more than ever, but since I live on the south side of Atlanta and the mountains are such a haul, I've started to focus a lot more on heading West into AL near Cheaha or South into S. GA and have found some pretty good roads that are a lot of fun. I've found that there is a lot less people and never see rangers since a lot of the time I'm not even in the NF. I've also spent some time over in the Clayton area too using a friends cabin as a base and go exploring, although the same issues exist over there with questionable roads and being in the NF or just coming up on closed gate after closed gate these days.

My DS riding has evolved to more actual street legal ones like the KLR650 (hated), Husky TE-610 (loved but sold) and my current WR250R, & DR650. I've started focusing more on long distance DS riding like the TAT, TETS, and other routes shared out there on ADV over the past couple years and really enjoy that. I really don't do near as much DS riding up in N. GA either. I think my wife and I have been up there a couple times by ourselves, but that's it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #104
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
Get it going again, but keep it off the internet. I go through there anytime I'm up that way alone. I've been racing way to much lately though. The last time I went thru it was rough getting around the dead fall, but doable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #105
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Rangers are everywhere and I think as I did then that no one should every come up here to the mountains it is just covered with police and rangers there is no fun riding here anymore the tree huggers have won stay in Atlanta it is what is best for everyone involved.
Like Dan said ride in south Georgia and Alabama it is much, much better there. The mountains are just a ticket waiting to happen!
Just saying

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote