Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #31
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,350
Dear dieseldave24v, thanks for making good ju-ju with this thread. Spreading the knowledge is oh-so-good.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:52 AM   #32
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 606
Valve Adjustment

Just doing my first service... The dealership also quoted me $300 - which means their shop rate must be about $150 an hour. WOW! My shop rate is only $80.00 an hour and I work on Airplanes!

Anywho, thanks for the info as it is not found in the owners manual and they did not have a shop manual for sale at the dealership... guess I better order one..

"Save a horse, ride a cowboy!"

I just wanna ride!
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #33
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,630
Here's the online manual:

http://www.deakin.edu.au/individuals..._adm/DR650.pdf

Sarah
Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #34
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Thumb One Word Of Caution

The first time I adjusted the valves, after removing the spark plug I noticed that dirt and sand is easily trapped in the recess where the spark plug goes. The dirt can easily fall into the cylinder if you are not careful. My solution is to either use a shop-vac to suck out the dirt or an air compressor to blow it away before removing the plug.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 AM   #35
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Thanks for the help, I did a valve adjustment myself for the first time on my DR.

I used to do them on BMW twins, it seemed easier back then. On the DR stuff kept getting in the way. I couldn't get the last bolt on the cover for the exhaust valves. I had to push the oil cooler guard out of the way, was a beotch to get at.

But all in all, thanks, took me forever, but beats paying for it.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #36
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Great thread. Even though I have never adjusted valves before, I decided to adjust the valves on my DR myself rather than pay the dealer. Got the valve adjusting kit from Jesse and with help from a buddy who has adjusted valves before, we got them done two days ago. My DR has 9000 miles on it and all 4 valves were in spec, but on the loose side - intakes were both .005, exhausts were both .009. I would have probably left them alone, but Jesse said to set them to .004 intake and .008 exhaust, and my pal wanted to show me how to set them, so that is what we did. Also changed out the spark plugs and put new EBC brake pads on the front and rear. It was a fun day of wrenching and very satisfying to know that the work was done right.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #37
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Great thread. Even though I have never adjusted valves before, I decided to adjust the valves on my DR myself rather than pay the dealer. Got the valve adjusting kit from Jesse and with help from a buddy who has adjusted valves before, we got them done two days ago. My DR has 9000 miles on it and all 4 valves were in spec, but on the loose side - intakes were both .005, exhausts were both .009. I would have probably left them alone, but Jesse said to set them to .004 intake and .008 exhaust, and my pal wanted to show me how to set them, so that is what we did. Also changed out the spark plugs and put new EBC brake pads on the front and rear. It was a fun day of wrenching and very satisfying to know that the work was done right.
I just did my valves for the first time (3800 mi) I had a two-ended feeler gauge,.004/.008 and the tappet wrenches. Bike sounds good now, only very light ticking, telling you that they aren't too tight. Great info here!

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM   #38
comes naturally
renewed hope

Oddometer: 1,899
So I have a copy of the free shop manual that is posted in this tread (not to mention all over the internet). It appears to be of a '96 model. I know they have changed very little since then, but are the valve clearance specs still the same?
comes naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:30 PM   #39
braindead0
Head Fisherman

Oddometer: 585
Anybody know what the correct torque spec is for the rocker lock nuts? Can't find that anywhere.. I usually just use my organic torque wrench, but this is my wife's bike and she'd kill be if we don't do it right ;-)
DoD #2223
braindead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #40
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
If you do remove the inspection plug to get at the end of the crank, great care must be taken to only very lightly tighten it back up when you close it back up. Or it'll be stuck.
I just turn the rear tire because my cap is stuck and stripped.
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #41
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSam
You can get it out by going for a ride, then, when the engine is still hot, turn the plug by driving it with a hammer and chisel, taking care not to hit the threads. It turns pretty easy with the engine hot.

I overtightened a couple on our DR's, but eventually got them out and replaced them. Tighten only 'till just past finger-tight.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #42
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
You can get it out by going for a ride, then, when the engine is still hot, turn the plug by driving it with a hammer and chisel, taking care not to hit the threads. It turns pretty easy with the engine hot.

I overtightened a couple on our DR's, but eventually got them out and replaced them. Tighten only 'till just past finger-tight.
Actually I stripped the other plug. The crank end. I am leaving it.
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #43
Hawaii_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Should you be able to hear the valves ticking if they are properly adjusted?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #44
kliff
Retired Ole Phart

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSam
Don't think mine is stripped, more like galled. Bought the bike used, it had the original 600 done at a dealer. Now the plug won't even buge with an 18" cheater bar.

I just do the rear tire deal too. Takes 2 people, is a little inconvenient, but what the heck, 3000 miles, everything A-OK at .004/.008, I'll check again at 10,000.

PS, great tutorial too!

NASRA / MAXX Racing
http://nasra.proboards.com/index.cgi
Scooter Rebels
http://scooterrebels.proboards.com/index.cgi
49cc Scoot
http://49ccscoot.com/
Peace, Eagle, as long as it's a BASHAN, it's cool with me!
kliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 AM   #45
DSdave
red line or blow mine

Oddometer: 64
Should valves be adjusted to the tighter or looser of the range?

I just read that too tight can cause idle problems due to longer durations, mostly stalling at stoplights, true or not?
What other differences does it make?

On the flywheel, there is a line with the letter T to the right of it. So I'm guessing TDC is when the line is centered in the sight hole?