User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
All things Archery

I just started shooting my bows again. Both the recurve, and compound. Even though by today's standards, my compound is getting a little old, it is still a fast and very accurate bow. My Recurve is just a pleasure to shoot as well. I have the bow made for me in 1968 from groves Archery when they still made bows here in Albuquerque. It's a great bow, 47lb Groves Magnum.

I did find out one thing weird, I shoot my recurve BETTER comparatively to my compound since the four year layoff! I would have thought it would be the other way round. But I do blame part of this to string and cable stretch and the compound being out of time and adjustment. But i have gotten weaker than when I was shooting three hours a day for years. Of course!

I am going to tune up the comp and get back into it at least for a couple hours a day till I get back to the point I was before. I am having a great time with the old stick bow though!

I also just got one of my best buddies into it and he is doing great and seems to really love it. It is a LOVE hate sport.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 17,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I just started shooting my bows again. Both the recurve, and compound. Even though by today's standards, my compound is getting a little old, it is still a fast and very accurate bow. My Recurve is just a pleasure to shoot as well. I have the bow made for me in 1968 from groves Archery when they still made bows here in Albuquerque. It's a great bow, 47lb Groves Magnum.

I did find out one thing weird, I shoot my recurve BETTER comparatively to my compound since the four year layoff! I would have thought it would be the other way round. But I do blame part of this to string and cable stretch and the compound being out of time and adjustment. But i have gotten weaker than when I was shooting three hours a day for years. Of course!

I am going to tune up the comp and get back into it at least for a couple hours a day till I get back to the point I was before. I am having a great time with the old stick bow though!

I also just got one of my best buddies into it and he is doing great and seems to really love it. It is a LOVE hate sport.
I got back into it a bit this summer. Didn't enjoy shooting the compound as much as I did the long bow. If I do get back into I'm going to try and get much better with the long bow and leave the high tech archery tools in the closet. It'll take a bit of practice. Drawing a 50lb long bow and hitting the target is much more difficult than drawing a 70lb compound and hitting the target when you're using releases and high tech sights.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

I like both for different reasons. I like to challenge myself with the compound to see how many arrows I can stack on each other or how many bulls I can get in a row, and stuff like that. But the re-curve is so FUN! And so different so is also something I have actually shot more than the compound since i began again.

Sniper X screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 01:16 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
rustynut2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Carbon arrows are too expensive to be doing that. I wish my eyes could see the bulls eye better, I know the bow shoots better than I do

12 T800XC
09 KLR 650
rustynut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynut2 View Post
Carbon arrows are too expensive to be doing that. I wish my eyes could see the bulls eye better, I know the bow shoots better than I do
I have found that out the hard way, so now shoot mainly at 5 dot targets for bulls. Of course right NOW I don't have to worry about it.....yet!
Old 10-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
iamcanjim
Face drop

Oddometer: 681
I love it, but I am finding the learning curve on my recurve is very steep. I can do fine with my compound (easy bulls at 30 yards) but I have trouble hitting the target consistently with the recurve. My recurve is a cheap takedown Martin, about 45-50 lbs.
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,992
Anyone need stuff?

Bitz fletcher? Vanes etc?

I shot field/3D/JOAD/Spot etc.etc. for a number of years.

Shoulder got funky to the point where I had a few very embarrassing premature releases, it acted like I had shoulder arthritis, since I've determined that I essentially needed to rehab and strengthen my extrinsic back muscles, but I have an adhesion between my scapulae and my chest wall, and there is this "pop" that happens halfway through my draw, and it hurts like crazy.

So I shoot my 15 pound bullseye recurve, I occasionally shoot my 40 pound fred bear.

I have a Mathews Conquest 2 in full Open trim with Swarovski scope and 8" extension sight, full stabilizers.

Sold my open recurve rig.

Don't think I'll ever really take up shooting archery again.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,341
I got two of my grandsons in to archery a couple of months ago.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

RedRocker screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 08:37 AM
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #9
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
My first recurve, many many years ago, was a Grooves. Great bow, don't rem where it went to.

I have a couple of custom recurves: A Blacktail Elite from PNW, it is a work of art. And I have a old Assenhiemer custom with 2 sets of limbs. Still a very accurate, smooth bow.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
JG55
Almost Normal

Oddometer: 143
Recurve is a Fox High Sierra custom wood, 62" @ 45lbs. Longbow is a Pronghorn 60" @ 50lbs, both takedowns. Hoyt Pro-Tec set up for unlimited w/6x scope, drop away rest, Carter release, etc. Made a hickory selfbow. Lots of magazines and books on archery. Favorite 3D shoot is the Traditional Bowhunters of California shoot at Chamberlin Ranch near Los Olivos CA, it's a charity shoot for "Hunt of a Lifetime". Need to shoot more. Adventure Riding and 3D shoots what a concept!
JG55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
The wife and I still have our bows....all recurve. The days of me pulling back a bow are long gone. We have 3, one 65lb, one 45lb and the wifes 15lb...she is a little thing.

I can't even pull the 15 any longer.

It was a great time....tried to get the kid interested in it but unless one of his little friends are doing it he does not want any part of it.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,948
I have a PSE compound I bought about 15 years ago. Shot a couple of bucks with it, and it shoots decent. I put it down after stalking a cow elk to within about 33 yards, launched a perfect shot, and she jumped the string. Just about left that indian gun on the mountain.

A few years ago my son started hunting with it, and he's shot a few deer with it. He picked up some carbon fiber arrows and that helped the speed quite a bit. We shoot at about 70 pounds I guess.

Last year one of his friends came over with his new Mathews super hi tech bow. Like a thousand bucks or so. Shooting in the back yard at 25 yards, it was so fast I almost couldn't see the damn arrow.

That got me thinkin'. That kind of speed I would have easily had that elk. I bet it adds ten or more yards to your effective range in terms of animal movement which was why I stopped hunting with them, I could hit the target but they hear the 'thunk' and move before the arrow's there.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,463

Nothing more than a shaped piece of Hickory!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Sniper X OP
De Oppresso Liber

I have been shooting since I was about 6 so a long time. Still love it. I am always on the lookout for another Groves bow, hopefully a take down.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
payner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I love archery. Years ago on a whim I purchased an old compound somewhat too large for me, really slow with massively heavy arrows but had a lot of fun indoors at the range. Got reasonably good - broke a lot of nocks with the odd robin hood when on my game but talk about immediate feedback! If you didn't just drop the worries of the day and focus you were shooting the floor, ceiling, other guy's target .

One day I'll get a properly sized target compound and fling some sticks again... hopefuly with my daughter.
payner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: