User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Oddometer: 551
My Prius was a gas guzzler...

...compared to my new-to-me 2012 Chevy Volt. With 22,700 mile put on it by the (only) previous owner, its current lifetime fuel economy is 152 mpg. Among Volt fanatics, that's considered mediocre. So far I've driven it ~375 miles and have consumed four-tenths of a gallon of gas. It's a brilliant car.

Donster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
Tweaker

Oddometer: 8,804
Outstanding. If we would just drop the oil security costs from our military budget, the government could buy millions of these things every year and give them away. Or vice versa. Enjoy your freedom!
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Wyoming coal mines thank you for buying that car.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #4
Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
A customer told me recently he spends more to power his 12 year old refrigerator than he does to commute 60 miles to work in his Leaf.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
True, but at least electric cars get greener every day.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #6
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,040
Laugh

What about the ( West?) Virginia mines?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #7
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
A customer told me recently he spends more to power his 12 year old refrigerator than he does to commute 60 miles to work in his Leaf.
I suspect the 12 year old refrigerator is more fun to drive.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I suspect the 12 year old refrigerator is more fun to drive.
I suspect you have never been near one, in one, nor talked to anybody who has. The refrigerator is better looking though.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

My, my. I've learned this car certainly brings out the passion in people. Personally (and I'm the only one who counts) I think it's great looking. Keep in mind that the lines are driven largely by aerodynamics.

The source of electricity to power it is a larger question, and on that score my opinion is just as valuable (or worthless) as anyone else's. Personally, (me again) I think coal is doomed as a power source, but here's what I know for a fact: the per-mile cost of electricity is waaay cheaper than gasoline. It that gets inverted, then I'll quit charging the Volt's battery and drive it around in perpetual extended range mode as a 40 mpg economy car.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSbiker View Post
True, but at least electric cars get greener every day.
Depends on how they get their power :

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Depends on how they get their power :

Coal power is still cleaner than oil. Only the most efficient ICE can meet or beat the soot of the dirtiest coal plant but that fails to account for all the associated security costs and other upstream emissions. It also fails to mention that the ICE running at 40% efficiency only does so sometimes, at certain speeds.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
What about the ( West?) Virginia mines?
His stated location is "3rd coast", so I am guessing gulf of mexico. I know growing up in KC we would watch coal trails roll through town to the power plants to the south. At one time I had many of the letter codes on the coal cars figured out. So I would wager that if the power plant is burning coal it is more likely to have come out of Wyoming then W. Virginia.

I know my power comes from a lot of sources. Nuclear (Palo Verde), natural gas (multiple local plants from Mesa to Casa Grande), hydro (various dams on the Colorado and Salt rivers). There are a few coal plants in NE corner of the state as well. One runs the coal train on electricity. Oh, there are a few solar plants around here as well. I have a fairly good idea where my power comes from. If it was further to the east coast it could very well be some W. Virginia coal.

We need the scrubbers on the coal plants in order to make the drywall needed for building new houses.

The modern electric car is very nice. I have driven cars ranging from a converted S-10 that still had a stick shift in it all the way up. GM got a little bit of a bad name when the engineers decided to make it more efficient on the highway. In the pure electric mode it does great. Gas engine as a range extender, now it can do highways. What bit them and caused the classification to change from an extended range electric to a plug in hybrid is the engineers decided to put a clutch in the transmission to allow the engine to direct drive the wheels. Single speed transmission. More efficient than converting ICE to electricity than that electricity to spinning wheels. So becoming more efficient on the highway suddenly degraded the electric car into a hybrid in the bureaucratic eyes of the government.

I consider the engine in the Volt to be overly powerful and too heavy. In pure electric mode you are lugging around too much weight for an engine that is rarely used. A smaller, lighter, less powerful gas turbine. Gas turbines are horrible at idle, but this would never need to idle just make power when called for. Gas turbines are horrid at starting (lots of power needed to get a gas turbine up to speed), but even a dead EV battery will still have enough power to bring a turbine up to operating speed and a powerful enough starter motor as it will also be the generator going back to charge the battery.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,171
I'm holding out for a Diesel Electric hybrid. Something like the Hammerhead Eagle iThrust.....

Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,491
So how many miles until the break-even point?
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Donster OP
No trick too cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Coal power is still cleaner than oil. Only the most efficient ICE can meet or beat the soot of the dirtiest coal plant but that fails to account for all the associated security costs and other upstream emissions. It also fails to mention that the ICE running at 40% efficiency only does so sometimes, at certain speeds.
I live in Houston. The electric utilities nearby use coal, natural gas, wind, and nuclear. I couldn't tell you the source of what comes out of my particular outlet.

On the up-close-and-personal level, to me the nicest thing about the Volt is 273 ft/lb of torque at zero RPM, which imparts very nice driving characteristics--all the time. Even when the engine is running, the wheels are driven by the electric motor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: