User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 220 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #1801
B50Paul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Unique great to follow along. anymore details of the break down ? Fifty below must of been hellish .
Beautiful pics of the northern lights. paul
B50Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #1802
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,012
Congrats on completing your first season, unique! Have a safe drive back to Manitoba and I look forward to reading your stories!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1803
ChazCable
Mechanic

Oddometer: 53
This is gonna be different for you Ben, being the reader and not the writer. LOL, Congrates Unique on the first season, hope u enjoyed.
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #1804
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCable View Post
This is gonna be different for you Ben, being the reader and not the writer. LOL, Congrates Unique on the first season, hope u enjoyed.

I never thought of that, LoL!

Here's a teaser........

Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #1805
Unique458
Adventurer

2013 Season

Hey guys, i'm back now , couple weeks, no sooner did i get unpacked, i started to work again here in NB, First trip was friday, to good old Cape Breton NS.
Is there ever a lot of snow up there in the higher elevations, looks like it's still the middle of winter there, i was glad the get back down the mountain.
Funny thing, on my way up to C.B. i found my self looking out the window, looking for the northern lights, i kinda miss them.
It was good to be back in my fancy W900....lots a power n comfort

I'm in the process of getting my photos in order, and will share as soon as i do.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1806
Unique458
Adventurer

Here we are, i'll try to make this as interesting as possible.

First day: Flew from New brunswick,

to toronto, to Winnipeg,

all went well, i'm not a good flyer, so i guess you could say that turbulence is not my friend, arrived, picked up our luggage and our ride was there shortly after.

We had a 4 hr drive to Dauphin Manitoba, where we would be staying the night, because of where the boss lives, there isn't any motels. So on our way to Dauphin, telling lies and getting to know one another, the guy driving us said, something don't feel right with the van, the steering wheel was shaking a bit, a rattling sound along with it, we figured that the ball joint was gone or the tie rod, we weren't, an hour from the airport, coming around a long easy right hand turn, and the shaking and noise got out of control. We had to pull over something was "very wrong" with this van, were looking around and find 2 studs broke off the drivers front wheel, and the other 3 could be turned by hand,we were some close to losing the wheel altogether, what a way to start off my adventure i thought !. We tightened her up, and away we went to the motel, hoping it was gonna stay together long enough to get us there.

The next day, we brought the van at a garage, where it had been days before we got it, turns out they forgot to tighten up the wheel.......wow really !....nice.

Off to the bosses place to get into our trucks, then Edmonton bound. The truck that was designated to me 1999 Kenworth t800 with 1.6million Km's, Yee Haa! what a treat, LoL ,

but it's all good, Blinkers were not working, no backup lights, oh and most important of all no tires ,

this is gonna be fun!

All was to be repaired in Edmonton AB, i guess it's a lot cheaper for parts there.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #1807
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,309
I would have thought the owner would have had the truck good to go before you got there.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #1808
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Nice work, Unique...I'm even in while on holiday to read this!

(No trucks in England, btw, only lorries and 'artics')!!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #1809
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Awesome thread!! Dont know how I missed this all this time!! Id love to work up there, just dont have any OTR experience that it seems all of the companys want. That and living in southern California doesnt make for much in the way of snow/ice driving experience...

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 AM   #1810
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Nice work, Unique...I'm even in while on holiday to read this!

(No trucks in England, btw, only lorries and 'artics')!!

Hope you're getting some pics to show us what is in current use while back in the Old Dart, Ben.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #1811
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Hope you're getting some pics to show us what is in current use while back in the Old Dart, Ben.
You know, I have been very lazy with my camera since arriving here. I'll make more of an effort, but just how much of an effort remains to be seen!!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #1812
Unique458
Adventurer

Laugh 2013 Ice Road

We get to edmonton around 10:30pm ( super 8 ) then off to bed for an early morning, oh ya and on our way to Edmonton, my speedo quit working on me , in the morning we are off to training for the ice road.

The next morning, Day 3: We got up early, boss man had us bring the trucks to the garage where the repairs are to be made, then we are off to fort Saskatchewan, for ice road orientation, - dangerous goods, - and pee test, ( hope i'm not pregnant ) .

I found the orientation a bit hard, hard in the sense that there was a lot to know in a short period of time, but even if you didn't remember one dame thing, they pretty much give you the answers , so if you fail, which you can, you shouldn't be any wares near a semi truck, you would have to be really stupid to fail .

Finally get all that BS done, i find out that i'll be hauling fuel to Daivik diamond mine, only there, back and forth, same place day in day out.
Doesn't matter to me, as long as i'm working, and making some money.

On our way up we will be crossing the new Deh-cho bridge crossing the Mackenzie River, turns out it costs $300 to cross, and you have to book at what time you cross, if you miss your time, you lost $300, so they tell me, so ya better get there the day you plan on, or your out some money.

Day 4 : Today we are supposed to go to Fort Sask, after we pickup our trucks, to get our trailers - permits and stuff, before we head out to Yellowknife.

We finally make it there, and we will not be leaving today, permits and stuff Blah Blah, nothings ready, after much complaining our group manage to get our assigned trailers, so at least we can get a good pre-trip in, check things out.

All is good now , and all we need is the paperwork to get going, i have my fire rated suit - hard hat - Dangerous goods card in my wallet, hopefully tomorrow we can get the go ahead.

I noticed that the gas here in fort Sask is .97/L and diesel is 1.14/L , in New Brunswick it's 1.27/L and 1.35/L just insane.

On our way to Edmonton.

Hello Edmonton.

The yard in fort Sask.

And one of me hooked up ready to head north.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #1813
Unique458
Adventurer

2013 Season

So the next day, we are all ready to get going, the first batch of paperwork is in........but not mine! ugh! they say it should be here in the afternoon.
3 guys in or group get there papers first thing and off they go, we finally get ours and the last 3 are off to the races 5PM about time.

It seems to me that it takes a long time to get things done around here.

As i'm heading down the road , glad to get going, i'm not feeling so "healthy", last 5 days eating at greasy restaurants is catching up with me. "Charlie" who had tagged along on and off with us from Manitoba, was an hour or so ahead of us, but we soon caught up to him as his heater broke, and he turned back for repairs, don't blame him either, bad way to start off ( no heat ).
I felt bad for him, like us he had been waiting and waiting to get going, as soon as he did, he had to go back.

The road were pretty bad on our way north ( icy ), and getting colder by the mile, the game plan is to go as far as Peace River and sleep there, tomorrow we drive the rest of the way to YK, approx. 1000 KM.

Just before we got to Peace River, out in the fields i saw those drill rigs like you see on TV " license to drill " that was cool. I went to bed thinking we are not as far along as i would have liked today, but at least we are on the move and not sitting around waiting.

Next morning Day 7:

After breakfast we drove all day to try to make make it into YK legally, after leaving Peace River, there wasn't much to see the roads were still bad , and getting worse, it was only safe to drive 80-90 KM/hr.

From Peace River to Enterprise, it was like driving down a hallway, the tall heavily snow covered Jack pines, were reaching for the sky the whole way there, what a sight.

After enterprise we drove over the new Deh Cho bridge that had just opened up in November, i had read about it in the local paper the month before, so it was neat to read about it then drive over it a month later.

As we got closer to YK there was not as much snow, and the temperature was dropping, from Peace River at -9 to YK at -35, we made it there at 9:30 at night, with no place to park, we did the paperwork thing and off to find a nice lonely street to park and sleep.

Tomrrow is gonna be a big day , loading up / tee time / Ice road

The road to Peace River, and up to Yellowknife:

Fuel at Enterprise

Welcome to Yellowknife

Old 04-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #1814
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post

As we got closer to YK there was not as much snow, and the temperature was dropping, from Peace River at -9 to YK at -35, we made it there at 9:30 at night, with no place to park, we did the paperwork thing and off to find a nice lonely street to park and sleep.
Why was there no place to park at Venture's yard? Full already or was something else going on?

Keep it coming!!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1815
Unique458
Adventurer

2013 Season

The next morning ( Day 8 ) we crawl outta bed and head over to the yard to get some breakfast.

- 40 this morning.

Around noon we head over to the tank farm after getting organized to get our first load, it took us 3 hrs to load, just because of the sheer volume of trucks pouring in from Edmonton, and being just as eager to get loaded themselves as we were.

So all fueled up and got a tee time of 5:40pm, eagerly awaiting my first trip.

My partner Sal and i, happened to be the only two heading out a 5:40, normally we would be in groups of 4, especially at the start of the season, everyone wants to get going ASAP, later in the season the trucks get spread out, so i was surprise'd it was just us.

On my way down the Ingraham, i knew we were only gonna be at Lockhart Camp around 2am, i was thinking to myself, i wished that the first trip would have been during daylight hrs, so i could see a bit of the landscape, but i suppose i'll see enough of it by the end of the season.

Driving onto the ice for the first time was nothing at all, i know that on the T.V. show they have to dramatize to make it exciting, ( i have followed all of the ice road trucking series ), to hear the ice cracking you had to put down the window, and listen really carefully to hear it over the noise of the engine.

It was like a shallow cracking sound.

( Seems i cant get the video to work .....i'll try to post it later )

So on our way to Lockhart, on portage 25 Charlie's hill, we had a truck spinout on the other side, he cant get going himself, so they call in the grader to pull him up the hill, we waited a while for the grader and by the time he got there, there was one wicked line up of trucks waiting to get by.
Finally they pull him up the hill and the lineup starts moving......except me! i'm froze up or something, i get out check around, swing the hammer at the brake drums a bit , still no go, now i'm in the way..... good start eh! it's cold -35 tonight and i have to figure this out.........i decide to remove the rear airline to put some airline antifreeze in there wait a bit still no go, look around some more and find a busted air line coming off the air dryer, i breakout my tools , and proceed to change the hose ( i had a spare ), all the while this is going on, another truck spins out again in the same spot and blocks the road again, so i think good , i'm not in the way anymore LoL! .

Sorry i know this is a long story.

So i'm all fixed up and ready to roll again, waiting for spinout #2 to get going, but i'm only getting 80 PSI in my air tanks, get out again and this time i find it's the airline leaking that i had removed to put in the antifreeze, word of advice " if you do not need to remove airlines, do not do it " now the rubber seal wont do it's job and seal, it's too cold, i got another seal and what a nightmare that was to change it felt like an hour to change, and it should have taken 2 min, by the way it's almost 2am by now.
Jump back into the truck to warm up and the air pressure is building up and just in time, the road just opened up , truck #2 is outta the way, while doing all this, i didn't really notice but i forgot to put on my boots, i was in my sneakers, and my feet were starting to hurt, and hurt bad too, i couldn't even touch them they hurt so bad, truthfully i kinda got scared a bit, thought i might have froze them up , and done some damage, but all was good in about a half hour, and away we went.
The truck had a hard time staying warm also , so i had threw on a cardboard underneath the winter front, to try to help.

Just before Charlie's hill we were crossing gordon lake and the northern lights were out and dancing around, WOW! what a sight to see, they are truly AMAZING! highly recommended , i was thinking to myself i wish my wife and daughter were here to see this.

We eventually made it to lockhart at some ridiculous hour and i'm really tired, been up about 24hrs , time for some much needed sleep.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: