User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 184 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1906
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Ahhh! here we go for a long overdue update, sorry people....... work work work - reno's- vacation.....

Again Congrats to Ben, he's gonna be pulling in the big $$$ now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
**** yeah, why tease us and not post pics?

back to the subject of Unique's story, with all the sleep deprivation, do you end up using things like those 5 hour energy drinks/redbull etc? I found them useful when i was riding from toronto to regina and back as road noise is the best sedative for me.
Cruisngrrl : I did manage to get to the Walmart mid season, and bought about 8 cans i think ( 2 4packs ), although it did help a bit, it actually was not the main source of staying awake, believe it or not, but i would load up on 2 day old sweets from the mine, and a lot of coffee. I put on a bit of weight while i was up there, 20 - 25 LBS, but lost it all when i got back home.
If you really think about it, the only type of exercise i got was walking from the cab to the trailer to either load/unload, to and from the truck at dispatch, and when stoping at Lockhart, NOT! very much at all.

Now to remember where i was in my adventure...............

Ok here we go Day 29: Feb. 25:

So I get up, eager to get going again, only to find out the road is shut down again. There was a storm brewing north of Lockhart.
A fellow named Jim that i had convoyed with previously, got together and decided this would be a good day to run into town for some supplies, and some souvenirs and kill off some time.

We went to Buffalo Airways ( Ice Pilots TV show ) to get some T-shirts and hats, then off to Walmart for some junk food. Jim suggested lets go in my truck, Ok makes no difference to me........ i get in and behind me climbs in a Croatian Dude, older guy, and you could not understand a word he was saying to save your life, how he managed to communicate with everyone around him is beyond me.

I was done shopping, looking for Jim and the Foreigner, and couldn't find them anywhere, tim hortons was in the same parking lot, so i thought maybe they went there, got there , Nope! not here, I figured since i'm here i'll get a good coffee for a change, i get back to Walmart and they were just coming out, so we head back to the yard, i get all my stuff, and get back to my truck just to realize i have lost my key to get back into my truck........ WTF! what the hell did i do with me key ? thinkin thinkin thinkin....i must have dropped it when i got my coffee, so i called at the tim's and sure enough, they have my key, now i have to find a truck ( pickup ) to go get it, but where do i put my stuff in the mean time??????? thinkin thinkin thinkin I have it ! i got to check it these side doors on my kenworth will open, they don't but they want to, so i get a screwdriver and as i'm pulling on the latch i'm pryin with the screwdriver.............TAADAA! open sesame . I'm in!, if i can find something to step up on, these doors are at least chest high, so putin my foot in there aint gonna happen, so to shortin up the story a bit i get in, unhook my trailors, and Bobtail to the Tim hortons to get my key. ( Remember the trucks are never shut off ) Once i got back i repinned, cleaned up the inside of the truck a bit, talked to my wife and daughter for a while ( facetime ) It was good to have some time with them even though it was through the phone, i am always on my way, in or out, i only get to chat 15-20 min at a time, so this was a treat, got to bed early for some rest so i could leave early once the road opens up.

Feb. 26 Day 30:

Wake up to find out that the road is still closed, I messed around until lunch, afterwards I checked with dispatch for the road closure, they told me late afternoon to early evening at the earliest, with not much to do, I decided to get out the laptop and watch a movie. Well i was no more then 1/2 hr into the movie, and i was falling asleep, I thought to myself i just got up a few hrs ago, oh well too bad, I'm going back to bed, and i'll get up when i get up.

I woke up at 3pm, went inside to get another coffee, and check on the road closure, and the road was open and my departure was in an hour, the way it works is......... once the road is closed, and your still in the yard, you get put on a list, and you are given a t-time, I'm not sure what rules are in place to determine who goes when, but you are assigned a time and miss that time, and you are at the back of the line, and it will be a long wait.

So at the time i got going north, the plan was to get to Lockhart, for a snooze, and up early to get to the mine.

Feb. 27 Day 31:

Slept 4 hrs and headed north, while on mckay lake, a security pickup passed us, going in the same direction, he was going quite fast compared to us big trucks, not 5 min later here he is the same security pickup layed up on his side...... he was going too fast , came into a turn and he kept going into the snowbank, hit it hard and rolled it over.
It was a very nice sunny day so visibility was not the problem, speed was, they are always after us to slow down, it was kinda nice to see security getting caught with their pants down, .

It was a nice day but a cold day, got to the mine to unload, just over 2 hrs , not too bad i guess.
On my way south i was driving with Greg, He's from P.E.I. ( Prince Edward Island ) Just a stones throw away from where i live, He's a fisherman in the summer and drives the winter roads in his off season.
I didn't want to stop in Lockhart , so that i could make it to YK to reload before the tank farm closes again, Greg was good with that also, and get an early start for the following day.
I saw 3 guys from my group heading north on my way back, i think they are running together until we can meet up again, then pair up in 2's again, but i have other plans.

I will try to stay solo if i can so i can get more loads in, theres only a few more weeks left and it'll be all done for us fuel haulers, then it'll be time to head home.
I also saw a few more guys that i convoyed with the last few weeks, Jewels - Mike - and Jonathan, it's nice to finally see some familiar faces.
Day 32 is a big day so i'll save it for next time.......

This Cabover was hauling fresh oil for the mine trucks, 4hrs to warm up the tanks before unloading, glad to be hauling fuel.

Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #1907
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
^^ Good looking cabover, that! ^^

What happened on day 32, then?!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #1908
CruisnGrrl
Two wheels, woot!

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
'Cos I'm a miserable bastard

Red Bull, baby - that's the way to go for me. It tastes half decent and I'm not really sure that it does anything, but I like to think that it does. I think I've mentioned before how when things get really bad even the additional brain power required to peel an orange can really perk me up. I'm wondering if I might bring something like a Rubicks Cube with me this year for those times. Or a bag of oranges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
Cruisngrrl : I did manage to get to the Walmart mid season, and bought about 8 cans i think ( 2 4packs ), although it did help a bit, it actually was not the main source of staying awake, believe it or not, but i would load up on 2 day old sweets from the mine, and a lot of coffee. I put on a bit of weight while i was up there, 20 - 25 LBS, but lost it all when i got back home.
If you really think about it, the only type of exercise i got was walking from the cab to the trailer to either load/unload, to and from the truck at dispatch, and when stoping at Lockhart, NOT! very much at all.

]
I find red bull helps but I don't have them regularly. The 5 hour shots made a diff when I went out west I was having 2 or 3 a day, don't taste them, you wanna slam them

My RFS Page
CruisnGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #1909
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
I find red bull helps but I don't have them regularly. The 5 hour shots made a diff when I went out west I was having 2 or 3 a day, don't taste them, you wanna slam them
Back in '87-'88 I managed a convenience store for awhile and had to be at work at 0530. This was when Jolt was king. Breakfast was a Choco Bliss (chocolate cake with chocolate filling and chocolate icing) and a Jolt. The nice? thing about Jolt is that it doesn't taste any worse warm than it does cold, and in a convenience store, beverages tend to reach room temp before they're finished and cigarettes usually burn themselves out after the first drag or two. ('course now no one can smoke indoors, but that's better anyway.)

I'd like to have my 24-year-old body back, but I'd sure treat it a lot better now. I'm sure the short sleep and harsh chemicals back then didn't do me any long-term favors.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #1910
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
Although come to think of it perhaps The Red Baroness is more appropriate...

Maybe the Red Barren.............like your wallet.

Nice truck BTW, good to see you've finally taken the plunge. Any idea what you'll be carting? General freight or fuel?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 07:02 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #1911
Unique458
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Maybe the Red Barren.............like you wallet.

Nice truck BTW, good to see you've finally taken the plunge. Any idea what you'll be carting? General freight or fuel?
He's gonna be hauling freight.

And I think that the name "Red Barren" Is what you should call her Ben.

Barren wallet in a Barren land
Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #1912
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

I like it - The Red Barren she is!

Funny how things work out when they're supposed to, people offering me free places to keep the truck; a friend who is sick and won't be able to use his tools again gave me a few hundred bucks worth last night; I stopped on the way home and put them in The Red Barren and the friend who owns the place where she is right now came out to tell me he'd seen a flyer advertising tie down chains on sale. The exact ones I need are half price at the moment; I've been offered a month's extra ice road related work for the truck for January...

...Of course there are hundreds and thousands of places that an o/o can get work at any time too, I'm looking at a few but I'm very particular that I don't want to become a truck driver!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #1913
Unique458
Adventurer

Quote:

...Of course there are hundreds and thousands of places that an o/o can get work at any time too, I'm looking at a few but I'm very particular that I don't want to become a truck driver!

Oh Ben , you dont realize it , but you ARE a truck driver, LoL
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #1914
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:45 AM   #1915
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:

Very wise IMO. I have noted over the years that people who drive as many hours as they can lead a very narrow existence. They like trucks, although they hate their job, but know no other work.

If they can to have something they can do outside driving, when they do drive it is still enjoyable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #1916
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
She ended up crossing my path a while ago and I finally made a deal. Needs a little work, for sure, but not much...

The interior will need some work also but I'm not sure quite how much because the doors won't open!

Nobody seems to know what's under the hood, and finding out will require some effort because the bonnet won't open either.

I think she'll be perfect for the job, though! I just need to come up with a suitable name....
Wow --- she looks rough ... an old farm-plated wreck --- rode hard and ut away wet ... hope you did not invest too much here, cuz I think you will find a lot wrong once you get INTO it ... :-( ... tread carefully!
Pro Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #1917
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Quote:
That's what I was hoping for! Ok, pics of the real truck now.

Better?! She is an '06, 1.3 million kms on the clock, in-frame done 200,000 km ago. 515hp Detroit Series 60, 13 speed, 82" sleeper. I've only driven it the 90 mins from where I picked it up to home, but so far so good. I am currently wearing out my credit card getting her kitted out...oh, and she's called The Red Baron.
Whew! Had me worried for a bit, but thought you mighta taken on the challenge!! LOL ... this looks a lot more revenue friendly, although as you say, wearing out the plastic making it yours....
Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #1918
Pro Mover
Truck Pilot

Quote:
Big ticket items are the rigging, the VHF and tire chains.
Check out WESCO in Port Kells -- have dealt with the for eons and eons for the straight trucks I run up North in ... not enough to get you a deal, but for triples or singles in V-bar with cams, they won't gouge you bad, and they are right off the highway on your way outta town. I can get you the phone number if you can't google it up ... but I found them to be the best bet around price/quality wise. They will throw in a spare key or two as well if you ask nice. Also sell spiders, but if you can work the cam locks okay, no need --- ran lots up past PG and out to PR, FtNel and never needed any bungees or spiders to keep em on!

As for tie downs, they have them too, but read into the thread more and see you are all taken care of ... ;-)

Pro Mover screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 05:24 PM
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #1919
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thanks Pro Mover, I hadn't heard of WESCO but I will certainly call them - appreciate the tip (I like all tips that save me $$)!

Funnily enough when I bought the truck I asked the salesman to let me know what he could find a couple of sets of triples for. He called back and said that he had a couple of sets still in their original wrapping, the guy would let me have them for half price as long as I paid cash. Deal! Then he called me back again just before I went to pick up the truck, "I just went out the back to grab your chains and they're all the wrong size". I have 24.5s by the way.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #1920
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

My buddy Phil made me up some sexy mounts for rotating beacons last week. While she was at his place we backed The Red Barren up to his 5th wheel. Looks pretty good, eh?! He's already told me that he has first refusal when I come to sell...his wife isn't so excited, though!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: