Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 223 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 07:51 AM   #196
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,012
Today's the day

The road is opening again today (Wed Jan 30th). There is a minimum of 28cm of ice all the way along the road (up to 35cm at the northern end) which is slightly better than usual, and they're expecting 8400 loads to go up, which is about average. If the Tahera mine closes down (it's teetering on the edge of bancruptcy) then they'll only be about 8000 loads. It's been really cold over the entire territory for the past few days which has helped (-49c in Gameti this morning), and the forecast is the same for the next few days, so things are off to a good start.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #197
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
The road is opening again today (Wed Jan 30th). There is a minimum of 28cm of ice all the way along the road (up to 35cm at the northern end) which is slightly better than usual, and they're expecting 8400 loads to go up, which is about average. If the Tahera mine closes down (it's teetering on the edge of bancruptcy) then they'll only be about 8000 loads. It's been really cold over the entire territory for the past few days which has helped (-49c in Gameti this morning), and the forecast is the same for the next few days, so things are off to a good start.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #198
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Wicked ooh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
Actually Klay, you may get more than you bargained for! I have to go bush camping for 2 weeks, back on March 7th, after which I had one week off and was going to go to YK to do a couple of trips up the road. But I was a bit concerned because, having spent two weeks camping at -40c or whatever it's going to be, I might have wanted to spend the first 72hrs back home in the shower, which wouldn't have left much time for trucking, and it wouldn't be worth driving the 8 hrs to YK just to do one trip. (I was exagerrating about the 72hrs in the shower thing, but you know what I mean...) Anyway, this morning we were told that we have two weeks off instead of one, so I can come back from camping, spend a day getting gear ready, then hit the road to YK, and probably get as many as 5 trips in on the ice.

Other good news is that I have guaranteed work there. Carl (the guy I'll be drivng for) will be using me as a fill in, which last year apparently would have meant I worked full time, but this year who knows) and I was a little nervous that I'd be sitting around YK waiting for a call, not earning anything (being a student I need to maximize my earnings when I do have time off). But now Carl's dad, who has a bunch of heavy equipment, says that I can work for him in town and as soon as Carl needs a driver, I can jump in the truck and go. A win-win-win situation.

All of this means, I hope, that I'll have some new stories and photos for you by the end of March. Hope it's worth the wait!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #199
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 793
I haven't heard anything yet Squonker, but that's alright, because I've decided to take the motorhome and go south to Florida for awhile. I'll be back at my regular run in two months. It's great to see that the temps this week were brutal out west(with windchill, Calgary -52). My driving partner is breaking in a noob and we'll see if he really wants to be a driver or not. You know what it's like, frozen brakes, stiff dolly cranks etc. Stay safe.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #200
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,721
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Truly a adventure. Keep Safe and warm, if posssible. I cannot imagine those kind of temps. Was in the 50s today with a good breeze and it felt cold to me....
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:39 AM   #201
Displaced Catfish
Mello Jello!

Oddometer: 19
Cool2

Not near as interesting as what I do so I'll shut up and read.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:20 PM   #202
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
All of this means, I hope, that I'll have some new stories and photos for you by the end of March. Hope it's worth the wait!
It sure is worth it!

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #203
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Thumb I found video

Well whaddaya know, I found a couple of short movies I made on the ice on my camera. They take hours and hours to download so I have only done one so far. It's taken on Mackay Lake, heading north, and it looks like I'm leading the convoy. Should give you a decent idea of what it's like, and it's something different from those damn photos!

Bonus marks if you can recognise the song on the stereo...

Oh, and I've not posted a video before, so I hope I can just give this direct link and that it'll work. I'm sure you'll let me know if it doesn't.

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...ent=movie2.flv

Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #204
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Finally! ... A movie to go with my popcorn. LOL.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #205
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 833
squonker, great suff and Thanks again. I check this thread once a day out of facination and to see how your doing.....

Just curious how the road repair crews would keep that water truck from icing up?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #206
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Pics and another movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTurbo
Finally! ... A movie to go with my popcorn. LOL.
That made me laugh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace
squonker, great suff and Thanks again. I check this thread once a day out of facination and to see how your doing.....

Just curious how the road repair crews would keep that water truck from icing up?
Hey thanks Wallace, that's mighty kind of you. If people are checking in every day I really should post more often, I suppose. Glad that you're still enjoying this stuff.
As for keeping the water truck from icing up, I'm not 100% sure, but here's my bestest, most edumacated guess. As long as the water is moving it isn't going to freeze, and because they generally only fill up a few feet away from where the H20 is needed, that isn't a problem. The water trucks empty by gravity, so there is no pump or anything to get iced up, but it is more than likely that they have to chip away some ice from around the baffle plate and the open/close every load when it's below about -30c. I'm betting they carry a propane tiger torch in the cab with them, and I also bet those water trucks are parked inside at night. If that isn't right, I dunno what is...but I'll try and find out for sure for you when I'm there next month. Hope that keeps you going until then!

I just spoke to Carl in Yellowknife this afternoon and told him when I'd be there. He wasn't in the best mood because he was changing a clutch out, says he's had a lot of breakdowns already this season. I told him to keep everything running for when I got there! Well, hopefully all the gremlins would have sorted themselves out by then.

And a link to the second movie I made. A little longer, this one, and it shows a little more. No-one guessed at the song on the stereo from the first movie, so I'll keep the prize, which was Jessica Biel's phone number. Too bad, so sad.

http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...ent=movie1.flv

Oh, the song: 'I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)' by Genesis, the live version from Seconds Out. You can hear it much more clearly in the second clip.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #207
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
Hey! I was gonna say Genesis, can I still have Jessica's phone number?

Glad to see things up and running up that way. Looking forward to this years squonker report. Great job you are doing on the reports, thanks for taking the time to keep us mortals entertained. Can't wait to see the new pics and hear all about it.

BTW. Dont forget the snowplow pics.
galute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #208
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Jessica's number

Quote:
Originally Posted by galute
Hey! I was gonna say Genesis, can I still have Jessica's phone number?

Glad to see things up and running up that way. Looking forward to this years squonker report. Great job you are doing on the reports, thanks for taking the time to keep us mortals entertained. Can't wait to see the new pics and hear all about it.

BTW. Dont forget the snowplow pics.
Hey galute, how's it hanging? So you were going to say Genesis, huh? Well, let me see....thing is, I told her I was going to give you her number and she went off on this rant about how I'd be wasting my time because I'm the only man she'll ever need, how no-one else could ever satisfy her the way I do, and how as long as we're together I'll never need pants so I might as well sell them and spend the money on beer. Dude, I tried, really - begged her to let me give you the number, but no, she wouldn't have any of it. What can I say? Tell you what - I'll PM you the first digit and you can guess the last 6. Fair?

Well, I appreciate your support and your living vicariously through this thread, sure hope I don't go through on my first trip and all I'd have to say is, "Brrrr" for a year and a day. . I'm getting pumped, too. It'll have been almost two years since I was on the ice. Yikes. Come to think of it, it's that long since I drove a truck too!

As for the snowplow pics, I have a feeling you've seen all the ones I have. Wish I could tell you otherwise, but I'll stock up in March with some fresh ones just for you (kinda to take away the sting about the whole Jessica thing). Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but

Thanks for posting!

Old 02-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #209
tomshell
Former Lurker

Oddometer: 98
Thanks Squonker for entertaining me while things were slow here at work. And to think, 2 days ago it was in the 40's (that is +40 F) and I was grilling chicken out back and complaining about how cold it was! I am heading up to AK this summer from the Arizona desert (on my klr)and thought, "I am gonna meet this dude and buy him a beer". Then I looked at google earth and saw how much further to the east you are....What a damn big country! Anyways, thanks again (my boss probably ain't so happy) for the enjoyable reading and pics and good luck to you this season up in the Great White North...
North to Alaska 2008
tomshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #210
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Market Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshell
Thanks Squonker for entertaining me while things were slow here at work. And to think, 2 days ago it was in the 40's (that is +40 F) and I was grilling chicken out back and complaining about how cold it was! I am heading up to AK this summer from the Arizona desert (on my klr)and thought, "I am gonna meet this dude and buy him a beer". Then I looked at google earth and saw how much further to the east you are....What a damn big country! Anyways, thanks again (my boss probably ain't so happy) for the enjoyable reading and pics and good luck to you this season up in the Great White North...
No so fast there, tomshell - I'll have that beer with you! My plan is to spend three months in Alaska and the Yukon this summer on my KLR, and it'd be a pleasure to meet up with any fellow ADVers for a beer, a ride, or just a bullshit session. I can't give you contact info yet because there is one potential fly in the ointment - a job came up that is a once in a lifetime opportunity, to spend the summer working at the second most northerly permanently populated place in the world, Eureka on Ellesmere Island. I've applied, and if I get it I will be postponing my trip for a year, but either way I still get to have the most fantastic summer, so I can't lose. If I do still go to Alaska and anyone that's been following this thread will also be up there, I'd love to meet some folks (and I haven't forgotten your invitation, KodiakFrank - thanks).
And maybe your boss would like this thread too, tomshell! Tell him I said it was ok to check it while at work. He won't mind. Much.

I wondered whether I could ask for a little help, call it market research. Below is a list of names of people who have posted on this thread, and I'm trying to ascertain who got bored, gave up, or is still checking in. If your name is on the list below (and I apologise for any typos), and you're still following along, would you be so good as to let me know? Much appreciated.

Kootenay Kid
Peter-denmark
Rebecca V
Klay
Statdawg
treysmagma
KodiankFrank
Ducky 149
Commuter Boy
Bubblehead
Surlyguy
GS4ME
Fat Toney
Jacpod
HappyGoLucky
BikePilot
Alcan Rider
Icewalker (fellow Landie fan!)
Vagabond
helicron
Arch
LATJ
Granitesun
Night Wolf
Sikorsky
GSD4ME
CGH
Rebelrider
AlaskaOE
svizzerams
BlueLghtning
bullfrog
RockinXJ
FotoTEX
RDJeff
KL5A
Wallace
Moosekiller
Longer
awryders (fellow winter camper!)(although I think you do it voluntarily!)
bone
tsilliker
Vixenso
Rubicon
CaptTurbo
Chilipepper
OffRoadCruiser
GiorgioXT
Displaced Catfish

Thanks, y'all.

More pics to follow on the weekend.