Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #211
Bubblehead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I'm still looking in most every day!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
No so fast there, tomshell - I'll have that beer with you! My plan is to spend three months in Alaska and the Yukon this summer on my KLR, and it'd be a pleasure to meet up with any fellow ADVers for a beer, a ride, or just a bullshit session. I can't give you contact info yet because there is one potential fly in the ointment - a job came up that is a once in a lifetime opportunity, to spend the summer working at the second most northerly permanently populated place in the world, Eureka on Ellesmere Island. I've applied, and if I get it I will be postponing my trip for a year, but either way I still get to have the most fantastic summer, so I can't lose. If I do still go to Alaska and anyone that's been following this thread will also be up there, I'd love to meet some folks (and I haven't forgotten your invitation, KodiakFrank - thanks).
And maybe your boss would like this thread too, tomshell! Tell him I said it was ok to check it while at work. He won't mind. Much.

I wondered whether I could ask for a little help, call it market research. Below is a list of names of people who have posted on this thread, and I'm trying to ascertain who got bored, gave up, or is still checking in. If your name is on the list below (and I apologise for any typos), and you're still following along, would you be so good as to let me know? Much appreciated.

Kootenay Kid
Peter-denmark
Rebecca V
Klay
Statdawg
treysmagma
KodiankFrank
Ducky 149
Commuter Boy
Bubblehead
Surlyguy
GS4ME
Fat Toney
Jacpod
HappyGoLucky
BikePilot
Alcan Rider
Icewalker (fellow Landie fan!)
Vagabond
helicron
Arch
LATJ
Granitesun
Night Wolf
Sikorsky
GSD4ME
CGH
Rebelrider
AlaskaOE
svizzerams
BlueLghtning
bullfrog
RockinXJ
FotoTEX
RDJeff
KL5A
Wallace
Moosekiller
Longer
awryders (fellow winter camper!)(although I think you do it voluntarily!)
bone
tsilliker
Vixenso
Rubicon
CaptTurbo
Chilipepper
OffRoadCruiser
GiorgioXT
Displaced Catfish

Thanks, y'all.

More pics to follow on the weekend.
Ya see, between 1958 and 1976 I have about 100,000 miles in trucks. Riding I mean! 8-) Dad was a dispatcher for Textile Motor Freight and DeWitt Trucking and dispatched from the NE of the US loading mostly canned goods heading south. We lived in NY and he was/is from NC. We would hop a truck headed south on Friday morning, ride/drive (he would, I rode) to NC, spend Saturday visiting relatives and hop another heading north Sunday am. Much fun for me!! Returns were mostly produce out of Florida and the Carolinas headed north. I spent many summers riding and unloading across the NE, watermelons, frozen chickens, corn and much more. Loved the ice road show and now your posts, look forward to each and every one. When I retire (in a few years) I hope to "go on the road" and finally do what I've wanted to do all my life! Thanks for posting!!!
99 F650 Black

"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is."

Rounder # 175
Xplor member
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #212
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead
Ya see, between 1958 and 1976 I have about 100,000 miles in trucks. Riding I mean! 8-) Dad was a dispatcher for Textile Motor Freight and DeWitt Trucking and dispatched from the NE of the US loading mostly canned goods heading south. We lived in NY and he was/is from NC. We would hop a truck headed south on Friday morning, ride/drive (he would, I rode) to NC, spend Saturday visiting relatives and hop another heading north Sunday am. Much fun for me!! Returns were mostly produce out of Florida and the Carolinas headed north. I spent many summers riding and unloading across the NE, watermelons, frozen chickens, corn and much more. Loved the ice road show and now your posts, look forward to each and every one. When I retire (in a few years) I hope to "go on the road" and finally do what I've wanted to do all my life! Thanks for posting!!!
That's a neat story, Bubblehead - thanks, man. Sounds like some fun memories. When I was a kid and told my parents I wanted to be a truck driver, they were not at all impressed - didn't spend tens of thousands of pounds to send me to private school just for me to become a truck driver, they said! If, when you retire and hit the highway, your journeys ever bring you up this way, let me know. Thanks for checking in, and I'll try to keep the posts interesting (without resorting to making anything up!)

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2011 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #213
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 96,539
I'm checking in every day or two, Squonker. I so much appreciate the effort you've gone through to tell this great story.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM   #214
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I'm checking in every day or two, Squonker. I so much appreciate the effort you've gone through to tell this great story.
Thanks Klay - knew I could count on you!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #215
GS4ME
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I'm still with you, I check almost every day to see whats new. Still enjoy it very much.
GS4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #216
Rubicon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
No so fast there, tomshell - I'll have that beer with you! My plan is to spend three months in Alaska and the Yukon this summer on my KLR, and it'd be a pleasure to meet up with any fellow ADVers for a beer, a ride, or just a bullshit session. I can't give you contact info yet because there is one potential fly in the ointment - a job came up that is a once in a lifetime opportunity, to spend the summer working at the second most northerly permanently populated place in the world, Eureka on Ellesmere Island. I've applied, and if I get it I will be postponing my trip for a year, but either way I still get to have the most fantastic summer, so I can't lose. If I do still go to Alaska and anyone that's been following this thread will also be up there, I'd love to meet some folks (and I haven't forgotten your invitation, KodiakFrank - thanks).
And maybe your boss would like this thread too, tomshell! Tell him I said it was ok to check it while at work. He won't mind. Much.

I wondered whether I could ask for a little help, call it market research. Below is a list of names of people who have posted on this thread, and I'm trying to ascertain who got bored, gave up, or is still checking in. If your name is on the list below (and I apologise for any typos), and you're still following along, would you be so good as to let me know? Much appreciated.

Kootenay Kid
Peter-denmark
Rebecca V
Klay
Statdawg
treysmagma
KodiankFrank
Ducky 149
Commuter Boy
Bubblehead
Surlyguy
GS4ME
Fat Toney
Jacpod
HappyGoLucky
BikePilot
Alcan Rider
Icewalker (fellow Landie fan!)
Vagabond
helicron
Arch
LATJ
Granitesun
Night Wolf
Sikorsky
GSD4ME
CGH
Rebelrider
AlaskaOE
svizzerams
BlueLghtning
bullfrog
RockinXJ
FotoTEX
RDJeff
KL5A
Wallace
Moosekiller
Longer
awryders (fellow winter camper!)(although I think you do it voluntarily!)
bone
tsilliker
Vixenso
Rubicon
CaptTurbo
Chilipepper
OffRoadCruiser
GiorgioXT
Displaced Catfish

Thanks, y'all.

More pics to follow on the weekend.
Hey Squonker

Stiil checking in keep it coming. I enjoy the updates on that part of the world. In 2002 I did the Yukon. Up the Canol Trail to MacMillan Pass in the NWT on my KLR, then over the TOW highway. Stop at Chicken for the nite. Then up the haul road to Deadhorse. Need to go back for the Dempster Highway. BTW what are you going to do in Eureka?

Paul
Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #217
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
Hey squonker, I'm still with ya although I'm pretty bummed about Jessica's phone number tho. Looking forward to reading about your new adventure on the ice and seeing some new snow plow pics. I love all the truck pics too, I drove one for a lot of years. I still have a freightliner but it's a dump truck. It's even the same color as the one you drove.

BTW, you forgot me on your list. Maybe you were just worried Jessica was gonna find out what a hunk I am and she would give me her number herself.
galute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #218
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galute
BTW, you forgot me on your list. Maybe you were just worried Jessica was gonna find out what a hunk I am and she would give me her number herself.
Sorry 'bout leaving you off that list, galute - nothing personal! Yeah, Jessica...Jessica... what's a guy to do? Cheers!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #219
dedsmurf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
living in Yellowknife/Inuvik

I lived 13 years in Yellowkinfe. some of that time was spent in Inuvik, Coppermine and Cambridge Bay. I went so JH Sissons then Sir John Franklin HS. We travelled on ice roads to various communities like Dettah etc. we used to fish on Prudo and reed lake and sometimes by the yellowknife bridge as well.. had lots of friends that lived there too.. I dont miss the bitter cold winters and mosquito infested summers but I do miss my childhood stomping grounds. I had a YZ80 and later a YZ125 and used to tear all around rat lake and the trails behind Con Mine and the winters I had an Elan snomobile that i rode to school. man the memories... take care and avoid frostbite.
d
dedsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #220
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsmurf
I lived 13 years in Yellowkinfe. some of that time was spent in Inuvik, Coppermine and Cambridge Bay. I went so JH Sissons then Sir John Franklin HS. We travelled on ice roads to various communities like Dettah etc. we used to fish on Prudo and reed lake and sometimes by the yellowknife bridge as well.. had lots of friends that lived there too.. I dont miss the bitter cold winters and mosquito infested summers but I do miss my childhood stomping grounds. I had a YZ80 and later a YZ125 and used to tear all around rat lake and the trails behind Con Mine and the winters I had an Elan snomobile that i rode to school. man the memories... take care and avoid frostbite.
d
Right on, dedsmurf. I've taught at both JH Sissons and SJF. Thanks for posting!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #221
Longer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
I'm still checking every few days!

My grandfather worked in Alert, NWT doing communications research work (NRC maybe?). He died 15 years ago and so I don't remember all the details. I followed in his footsteps more or less as a telecommunications technician - I proudly wear the toque he got while working up there.

Here are a couple of my own 'cold' pics working in the coast mountains of BC on communications equipment for my company.

Have fun on Ellesmere Island! I have heard the stories about the working conditions up there, mostly about how cold it is. Your experiences on the ice roads are right in line with these.

Keep the stories coming! I'm really enjoying it! I would love to make my way up there sometime soon, once in the winter and many more times on my 1200GS in the summer.

Later!
Longer

The toque

I love this toque!

Transportation to sites

I wouldn't trade this for an office job - EVER!
(pompom thingy on toque doesn't fit well in the hardhat - I carry a few toques in my truck and kit bag just in case anyway)

Longer screwed with this post 02-07-2008 at 07:16 PM
Longer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #222
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 822
squonker, I am still here bud and you ain't getting rid of me.

I just hope someday I have the chance to return the favor, buy you a beer or something... ........
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #223
NoahDL88
Vroom Vroom

Oddometer: 928
Just spent the last 5 hours on this thread

Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #224
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longer
My grandfather worked in Alert, NWT doing communications research work (NRC maybe?). He died 15 years ago and so I don't remember all the details. I followed in his footsteps more or less as a telecommunications technician - I proudly wear the toque he got while working up there.

Here are a couple of my own 'cold' pics working in the coast mountains of BC on communications equipment for my company.

Have fun on Ellesmere Island! I have heard the stories about the working conditions up there, mostly about how cold it is. Your experiences on the ice roads are right in line with these.

Keep the stories coming! I'm really enjoying it! I would love to make my way up there sometime soon, once in the winter and many more times on my 1200GS in the summer.
Thanks Longer! What's so cool is that Alert is in Nunavut now, so that hat is worth hanging on to. I'm kinda torn between what I'd rather do this summer - I've been planning the bike trip for over a year now and I really want to go to Alaska/YT this year...but as I said, I can't lose whatever I do. Nice position to be in! Erueka is about 120 miles south of Alert, but we'd fly into Alert and chopper down to base. I say "we"....
And if you do ever make it up here, let me know. Beer's on me!
Thanks for checking in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace
squonker, I am still here bud and you ain't getting rid of me.

I just hope someday I have the chance to return the favor, buy you a beer or something... ........
The pleasure's all mine, bud! Cheers to you too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahDL88
Just spent the last 5 hours on this thread

Thanks
Five hours - I didn't know it was that big! Glad that it kept you reading, though, and thanks for posting. There'll be more coming....

Old 02-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #225
NoahDL88
Vroom Vroom

Oddometer: 928
Quote:
Five hours - I didn't know it was that big! Glad that it kept you reading, though, and thanks for posting. There'll be more coming....
Yeah, don't tell my boss, shhh

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: