Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 147 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #301
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,918
Another story

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitteer
Any tips for a guy who is getting his Commercial license in BC over the next month or so? Anyone looking for a driver in the Vancouver area?

Scott
Yo Scott, both Ocean Cement and Long Haul are hiring. Good luck, dude.

So I just remembered I was supposed to post the one story that I remembered having forgotten, until I can remember the second!

The vast majority of guys are great about moving over when you meet someone coming the other way on a narrow portage or, an even worse place to meet, the northern end of the Ingraham Trail. When I was in a really good mood, if I was leading a southbound convoy on the Trail I'd actually pull over while the northbound guys came past. No biggie for us, but a huge difference for them. Think I only did it once, but I seem to remember someone doing it for me one day too, and it's fantastic to just be able to sail around those tight, blind, narrow corners at full tilt knowing that everyone ahead of you is pulled over. Lots of smiling and waving then!
Anyway, there is one company from down south whose drivers are known for not always getting right over to the edge, and sometimes nearly causing accidents as a result. You'd almost think that this one company instructs its drivers to hog the middle of the road on portages but I think that's pretty unlikely. The only other reason I can think of for doing so is fear, but why is it that it's only drivers from this company that are so scared?

One night I was in a convoy heading south, and somewhere around portage 10 Reg (pic of him in an earlier post) nearly had an accident for this very reason, with a driver from this very company. Now Reg is a pretty mild mannered chap for the most part, but he was m-a-d at this and he said some very choice things over the radio to the driver of the other truck, who didn't reply (he was probably crying!). He (Reg) must have been really mad 'cos he didn't let up and just kept on cursing the guy out with random tirades of swearing until we were at least half way back down the Ingraham Trail. I actually thought Security would tell him to watch his language, but no-one said anything about it at all, not even other drivers. In my case, and likely Charlie's too (Reg and Charlie always ran together so he'd have been in the same convoy for sure) it could have been because we were laughing so hard at these outbursts of pure profanity that just kept coming. You're used to hearing people call out their kilometers on the Ingraham Trail, and generally purely business stuff as it's a tricky area, but all of a sudden Reg would light up the airwaves with another torrent of abuse directed at this other driver who would have been out of range an hour ago by now.
Poor guy, I felt bad for him (Reg). He was obviously pretty shaken and I've have been furious too, but to hear him swearing like that for so long - a classic moment, in my experience!

I'll try and remember that other story now. Everyone hold your breath....

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #302
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I do enjoy your stories Squonker. Sorry about the hard luck on this season but I'll be waiting to read the action in '09.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #303
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Aye aye, Capt'n

Thanks for the post, glad you enjoyed the thread. I do remember the second story I said I'd tell, but I can't remember the most important bit!

We were all heading north one day, Reg, Charlie and I (there'd have been one other truck too), and Charlie was leading, I think. When we reached the north end of Mackay Lake he said a joke prayer for our loads and our convoy over the radio, along the lines of the blessing you'd give to a new ship before you launched it. "Lord, bless this convoy and all those who drive in it. Bless our loads that they may safely reach their destination...." sort of thing. It was completely ad-libbed, but absolutely perfect, came out of the blue, and was vey funny. I just can't remember exactly what he said! We were talking about it the other day and he too recalls the incident fondly, but also has no idea what he actually said.

Sorry man, that's all I can do! I too look forward to posting 2009's adventures, and the accompanying pics. Between now and then, though, I'll post some pictures from Ellesmere Island for anyone that's interested.

Take care.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #304
Displaced Catfish
Mello Jello!

Oddometer: 19
Cool2 Lurking

Squonker it's pleasure to read your posts! I found this thread in February and had been away down to the coast on the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of months. I just got caught up on what I've missed since I've been gone.
I've been lurking here since I found it and have to say that it is interesting to say the least!
I'm looking forward to next year already!

DaFish
Old 05-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #305
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Many thanks Mr. Fish, the pleasure is all mine. I too am looking forward to next year, and posting more stories and pics. Until then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Catfish
Squonker it's pleasure to read your posts! I found this thread in February and had been away down to the coast on the Gulf of Mexico for a couple of months. I just got caught up on what I've missed since I've been gone.
I've been lurking here since I found it and have to say that it is interesting to say the least!
I'm looking forward to next year already!

DaFish

Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #306
galute
are we there yet?

Oddometer: 66
I'm having withdrawels down here. Can't you leave the fridg door open or something? We need ice!! Looking forward to next year myself.
galute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #307
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galute
I'm having withdrawels down here. Can't you leave the fridg door open or something? We need ice!! Looking forward to next year myself.
Hey bud - I'm kinda keen for February to roll around, myself! Not sure what to suggest you do until then, perhaps turn up the AC and settle down with a good book on snow plows?!

Cheers!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #308
CaptTurbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
Hey Squonker, I see that the History Channel is promoting the new season of Ice Road Truckers that will be airing on June 8th (I think). You had told us a little bit about how the Ice Road Authority (or whatever the commission is called) had denied them another season. Do you know what roads they used for this season's shows? I'm curious. I guess there are a few different ice roads? Thanks.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #309
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 835
.... ....

Hey squonker...
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #310
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
Hey, Squonker. I was listening to a program on my Sirius radio last week while driving across SK and Hugh, from Ice Road Truckers was on. He seems to be a bit full of himself . Maybe we should should send a few of the regular guys down there to tell the truth about the job. He was saying that a driver could make a years wages in two months. I'm still waiting for the call... By the way, Paul Mondor stayed here for the night on his trip back to Victoria. He was saying that you two have talked before. All of us who drive on ice or in severe conditions have something in common to talk about, whether it's on a bike or in a semi.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #311
mchester
Honda Cult Member

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain
Hey, Squonker. I was listening to a program on my Sirius radio last week while driving across SK and Hugh, from Ice Road Truckers was on. He seems to be a bit full of himself . Maybe we should should send a few of the regular guys down there to tell the truth about the job. He was saying that a driver could make a years wages in two months. I'm still waiting for the call... By the way, Paul Mondor stayed here for the night on his trip back to Victoria. He was saying that you two have talked before. All of us who drive on ice or in severe conditions have something in common to talk about, whether it's on a bike or in a semi.

Woodgrain
Did you catch the special on TV the other day that explained the new season? It was on History channel and is called "Ice Road Truckers: Road to season 2".

It is on again June 7th at 11pm Eastern Time. They explained that the new season will be on a new road across part of the Arctic Ocean Ice. Sounds interesting enough for me. Colder, even more weather issues, and it would seem to me, more dangerous in general.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" Rush

2004 XR650L & 2003 ST1300
mchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #312
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Hey everyone,

Sorry, I've been on a bike trip myself for the past week. Just made it to Whitehorse today, so quickly...

My understanding of the new series is that at least one of the drivers from the old show were banned this year, because they were caught on camera doing stupid shit. Not sure who exactly, but I know that Jay and Alex (the two from Yellowknife) were still trucking this year. Jay was on the same raod, so no camera, but Alex was on the road from Inuvik to Tuktoyuktok which, as someone correctly said, is on the Arctic Ocean. I know too that he was in hospital for a while in Yellowknife during the season, but I saw him at a funeral in YK about 6 weeks ago and he looked fine. That's all I know!

Yep, I had met Paul a few years ago through mutual friends, but didn't know he was the Paul Mondor! I'll be seeing him again soon when I'm back on the island.

Thanks for the tip on the Sirius show - I should contact them - do you know exactly which show Hugh was on?

Gotta run now, but I'll be in Whitehorse for a few days and I have internet access here, so write away and I'll reply this time!

Cheers

Old 06-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #313
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 776
Hugh was on the Maxim channel, and the show is called RPM.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #314
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodgrain
Hugh was on the Maxim channel, and the show is called RPM.

Woodgrain
10-4, thanks. I'll try and get hold of them sometime soon - I should have plenty of time on my hands 'cos we woke up to snow in Whitehorse this morning! May alter my plans for the next few days somewhat...

If I get anywhere with Sirius I'll let you folks know. And I didn't mention in my post yesterday that I know there was a camera crew with Alex on the Tuk road this past winter, and that all cameras were banned from the YK road, to the extent that it was even an offence to have a camera mounted to your truck, inside or out! Don't worry though, hand helds are still cool and I'll take plenty more shots next season.

I have always suspected that Hugh and that guy that had worked for him before - Rick?- were the two that were banned from the road this year, but I don't know. I guess come February we'll know whether they're still around. My guess is Rick won't be anyway. He's unlikely to work for Hugh again, and anyone that saw how he didn't even strap down his first load properly on the show wouldn't hire him, either. Plus, he seems to be a jackass! Time will tell...

Old 06-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #315
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,965
I`m all ears.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: