Old 03-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #736
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
[quote=rusty43]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
That reminds me:

It's a good read, what a work ethic these guys had. I found my copy at a garage sale somewhere. That author had some gumption to hang out with that crew.
Was talking to RTL at Enterprise and found out they're hauling another 25M litres of fuel to Yknife this spring, so they'll be busy on the "other" highway for a while.
Yeah, a lot of the guys hauling fuel on the ice were roped in to doing that for them. They had all planned to go home, then RTL told them that they wouldn't get their ice road bonus if they didn't stay and haul from Hay River to YK for however long it takes to haul 25m litres of fuel that 500 kms.

Glad you enojyed the Dennison book too. Must read my copy again one of these days soon.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #737
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,736
Should only be another 2-3 weeks open until break up across the Mackenzie, right?

When's the bridge going to be finished?
Commuter Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #738
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Hmmm...RTL eh? I have fluid haul experience.......might just have to look into that one
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #739
motomac
Mac

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
Should only be another 2-3 weeks open until break up across the Mackenzie, right?

I rode the ferry across in early June last year and the ice was just coming down the river. It threatened to halt ferry service, but that didn't happen. I did get pictures of the ice around the ferry as I crossed, but they're on my computer in Ohio and I'm in CA.
'13 Gold Wing 19,670 miles
motomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #740
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 436
Ice Road on NBC Today show

Squonker, been following this for a while and really enjoy it, so keep it up.

Amy Robach of the NBC Today show just did a piece on you guys this morning. She was apparently up there a week or two ago and rode along up to the Diavik mine. Hoped to see you in there somewhere, but looked like it was mostly a group of fuel drivers.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...11988#29911988

http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/...6/1853820.aspx

Thanks,

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #741
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,884
hey, did you guys see that they have some hot women in YK?! I'll fit right in!!!! Looks like a lot of them are "ice road truckers" too. Good for you
Ben!!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #742
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,884
http://www.iceroadtruckjobs.com/ourebook.htm

'bout 1/2 down...check it out!!!
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #743
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy

They're saying the ice bridge on the Mackenzie should be open until mid-April.
The permanent bridge...iirc it's scheduled for completion in 2010. But that likely doesn't take into account the inevitable cost over-runs and delays. It's a government project, so triple the price tag and double the construction length. Hmmm, think I may be being cynical.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary
Hmmm...RTL eh? I have fluid haul experience.......might just have to look into that one
I'm supposed to be meeting a couple of the guys on that run for a beer this week - want me to find out more for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac
I rode the ferry across in early June last year and the ice was just coming down the river. It threatened to halt ferry service, but that didn't happen.
Hi Mac, they always threaten that but it very rarely happens, and when it does it's usually for an hour of two at a time. Gotta cover their arses, I suppose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA
Squonker, been following this for a while and really enjoy it, so keep it up.

Amy Robach of the NBC Today show just did a piece on you guys this morning. She was apparently up there a week or two ago and rode along up to the Diavik mine. Hoped to see you in there somewhere, but looked like it was mostly a group of fuel drivers.
Thanks Dale, yep NBC was here this season. I was lead to believe that they wanted to follow a truck load of supplies to the mine, then see the mining operation, a diamond being extracted, and follow that diamond through the cutting and polishing process to where it ends up in a jewellery shop in NYC. They wanted to ride in a truck but because no cameras are allowed any more they had to settle for following in a pick up.
But I should check out your links, 'cos who knows what actually happened. Thanks- I look forward to viewing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
hey, did you guys see that they have some hot women in YK?! I'll fit right in!!!! Looks like a lot of them are "ice road truckers" too. Good for you
Ben!!
Well, this year there three female ice road truckers that I was aware of. And let's just say that.....well, let's just say that they weren't my type! That chick in the photo is in the passenger side of the truck, but there are plenty of hot wimmins in YK, that's for sure. Not sure what the male/female ratio is, but I'm not complaining. Jenna, if you were here we could compare notes!

Hadn't read that page of the website - it's just amazing the crap people'll say to try and make a $$. Carl's Dad is particularly taken with the idea of that site and carl wants to know whether there's a phone number. I should have a look - still got no reply from my email. Darn, and I really wanted to be an Ice Road Trucker, too .

Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #744
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeTA

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/261848...11988#29911988
I watched the first vid (couldn't open the second) and whaddya know but they had a camera inside the truck! Just goes to show what a load of bollocks the rules are - when it suits the JV to ignore them, they do so.

I'm kinda pissed this afternoon because after work today I stopped in at Carl's shop to shoot the shit. I found out a few things about the last week of the season that are pure horse shit. Carl is trying to raise a stink with local politicans and the media so he'll either get himself into trouble or they'll give him a bunch of loads for next year to shut him up!
This season was such a fuck-up in so many ways. I'll write about it in my trip reports as it becomes relevant, but it really leaves you shaking your head wondering wtf. Oh well - at least I have lots of options for next year...

Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #745
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

www.iceroadjobs.com

Un-frikking-believable what these guys say on their site. I couldn't make this shit up! Must print some bits off and take them in to work on Monday.
...shaking my head....

Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #746
Arctic Orange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
The Real IceRoad Truckers

Squonker,
Just found this thread, good adventure there. Without the 'nincomepoops' on the TV! Having been a Prudhoe Bay haul road driver, I can relate to the up's & down's. Thanks for the real story, I'll have to stop in more often now.

'88 K75s/Velorex
'74 Dirt Squirt
BMWMOA 43097, IBA 11211, Rounder
Arctic Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #747
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Orange
Squonker,
Just found this thread, good adventure there. Without the 'nincomepoops' on the TV! Having been a Prudhoe Bay haul road driver, I can relate to the up's & down's. Thanks for the real story, I'll have to stop in more often now.
Thanks man, you should indeed stop in more often (I'll be checking ). Oh, and I sent you a PM. Cheers.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #748
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Trip #5

Hmm, just realized a mistake. Think I said that trip #4 was mining roof tiles, but in actual fact it was bolts of steel, and trip #5 was mining roof tiles. That changes everything, doesn't it?!

Having come back from trip 4, while I was in the quarry getting my next load tied down, the Tli-Cho safety manager came over to say hello. Brian's an ok guy, a little moody perhaps, and he seemed kinda neutral today - not happy but not grumpy either. Perhaps he was trying particularly hard to appear un-affected, because he had some bad news. At the beginning of the season we'd all been told we'd get 23 loads each which I'm sure I've written about at length already. Brian now told me that Tli-Cho had just had a contract cancelled and that we'd all be getting only 15 loads each. This is big news because 15 loads isn't enough to warrant doing the job really. 20 is always considered the magic number, and to be honest if I'd known I was only going to get 15 loads I wouldn't have bothered signing up for this season. And I live in YK, but what about those guys that came out from Nova Scotia and beyond? They were in a really shitty situation. Some of them had turned down work at home for the experience of driving on the ice, but would have been better off having not come out at all had they known. And employers pay for flights for those out of town guys, so suddenly everyone is affected. I was choked and from that moment on my heart was just not into the job. It was as though someone had flicked a switch and I simply didn't care any more. Tli-Cho management seemed to think that we were all trying too hard to get trips in anyway (which, in hindsight, seems to suggest that they knew something was up because usually they're at us to go flat out all the time). And now Brian was saying that because we were only going to be getting 15 loads in there was no need to hurry. Just take your time and do your 15, he suggested, but that too is horseshit because obviously if I were to get my remaining 11 trips in in 3 weeks and then move on to another job I'd be much better off financially than if I took 6 weeks to do the remainder of my trips. I was really unhappy that night and did even consider quitting I admit, but soon remembered the 'code' - once you start you don't stop until it's over. I suggested to Carl that at least we didn't have to bust a gut any more and he said but you should anyway because perhaps they'll get additonal work at Tli-Cho yet and we want to be in a position to take advantage of that. I wasn't convinced, but in the end he was right.

Shitty pic!

So Simon and I ended up leaving town at 5.20 the next morning, just the two of us. It was a beautiful day, I think the first really nice one we'd had all season, and I was in a much better mood than I had been the night before! We arrived at Lockhart at 1.30pm and stayed for an hour, just enough to eat and relax for a few minutes. Simon was always wanting to go go go and I had to push hard for those extra few minutes. I know from experience that there's no need to push it that hard. Plus I was disinterested now, of course.

It was quiet between Lockhart and Snap Lake and we turned up there at 5.55pm. The day shift on at that time were a joke, ridiculously unorganized compared to the folks on nights that I had dealt with on all my previous trips in there so far this season. But we had a quick turn around nonetheless and were on our way again at 7.35pm. We arrived back at Lockhart at 10pm and set our alarms for 4am. I'm wondering now how I ever persuaded Simon to stay that long, but of course he didn't neccessarily do so. He might well have left sooner and I could have caught a ride with someone else.

I wrote that it had been a beautiful sunrise, but that I was still pretty groggy and didn't have an easy drive back to YK.

Once home, dispatch told me to drop my trailer off at a local exdepiter's yard, and then when I went to hand in my paperwork informed me that there'd be no more loads for at least a couple of hours. They said that there were to be no more loads at all going in to Snap Lake until that mine had had a weigh scale installed and could weigh in every truck that arrived. WTF? Our weights are on all our paperwork, so the weight of every load is already known. Do they not trust us? And who freaking cares what the loads weigh anyway? Snap Lake doesn't benefit at all from knowing that, and anyway they're the ones who ordered whatever we're delivering, so they know full well what the details are. And making us go over a weigh scale and creating extra work just slows the whole process down - you'd have thought they'd want to get us all in and out as soon as possible. Pure crap.

So when I called in two hours later Tom at dispatch said that because of this there would be no chance of a load until tomorrow morning and to call back at 6.30am. Now, if you were Tli-Cho and you had found out that you weren't to send any loads at all to Snap Lake Mine until further notice, wouldn't you be loading trucks for the other mines like there was no tomorrow? They weren't loading any trucks at all. Sometimes you just have to wonder. And they can't understand why we're pissed off sometimes.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #749
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,435
New pictures
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #750
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
IMO hauling bulk liquid is where its at! Nice pics John Fry.

Keep it comin Ben. Lovin it
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: