Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 AM   #931
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Thank you Chanderjeet! As I've said before, any praise from you is considered very high praise indeed!

Just one question...

So even though those big fat tires lose grip on the ice, (like yours did while winching the other guy out), why aren't any metal studs on the them?
Old 06-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #932
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet

Just one question...

So even though those big fat tires lose grip on the ice, (like yours did while winching the other guy out), why aren't any metal studs on the them?
I think Squonker is on the road heading south today, not sure if he has a laptop with him or not.
inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #933
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted
I think Squonker is on the road heading south today, not sure if he has a laptop with him or not.
I do, I do! And thanks to the wonders of modern technology (which even extend to hotel rooms in High Level, AB)...

Chanderjeet, it's basically because we don't need them. Those 'big fat tires' are regular truck tires and other than in exceptional circumstances, as the winching episode was, they're all we need. The lakes are flat obviously, and any significant hills are sanded more often than not. If not, a bit of momentum and a bit of skill - along with a whole pile of luck! - will get you up.

A regular truck tire costs $600 in Yellowknife and I dread to think what a studded one is worth. If you wanted all your drive tires studded that'd be 8 X a hell of a lot of dough, and that's just the tires...you'd want those studded tires on a seperate set of rims because it's easier, quicker and therefore cheaper to swap wheels than it is to swap tires. But all the trucks on the road do one of two things when they're not on the ice - they either sit in someone's yard or are out on the highways in the south, and of course you don't need studded tires for that.

That winching episode - I don't know, but I don't think studded tires would have helped much on that occasion. The winch truck's wheels weren't turning - the whole truck was being dragged back. Hope that answers your question!

inverted - see you tomorrow, my man. I don't think I'll leave here until after lunch, so I'd likely be with you mid afternoon if that's cool.

EDIT: Chanderjeet - just figured out that those 'big fat tires' are the ones you see on the front of the Western Star that's stuck. True, they're not regaulr tires...but they're not that irregular either! That truck came from the oil patch and had those skins on it when Carl bought it. No doubt when they wear out he'll repace them with more 'regular' regular ones! Actually, those big ones don't make cornering on the ice easy, I'm told....)

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #934
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,805
Quote:

Just one question...

I'm not an ice trucker, but I know that the colder it is the better the traction the tires have. Its more slippery when it gets warm. Also the lakes don't have any hills so studded tires would not be worth the extra cost.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #935
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofate
I'm not an ice trucker, but I know that the colder it is the better the traction the tires have.
That's true, too. Much more grip (even in your car) at -30c than at -5c. Top of the class for you, nofate!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #936
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Quote:
inverted - see you tomorrow, my man. I don't think I'll leave here until after lunch, so I'd likely be with you mid afternoon if that's cool.
sounds good, I have a short run in the morning and will be back before lunch. look forward to hearing from you....
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #937
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

You guys have lot of fun, dangerous kinda fun. but fun !!

Here's a trucking pic from India. Taken at around 13000 ft.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #938
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
You guys have lot of fun, dangerous kinda fun. but fun !!

Here's a trucking pic from India. Taken at around 13000 ft.
Holy frikking moly! You win! That's amazing

Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 PM   #939
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,008
Quote:
EDIT: Chanderjeet - just figured out that those 'big fat tires' are the ones you see on the front of the Western Star that's stuck.

They`re known as "super singles" over here and, no doubt other places too. Some outback trucks have them on the front as they give better steering. Trailers are equipped with them too, but that is not so common over here.

Chanderjeet; I see by your avatar that you like Afghani girls. I saw a photo of this one a couple of years ago, and unfortunately she hasn`t aged well.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #940
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Chanderjeet; I see by your avatar that you like Afghani girls. I saw a photo of this one a couple of years ago, and unfortunately she hasn`t aged well.
I like Indian girls especially this one...

Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 AM   #941
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
I like Indian girls especially this one...
I like her too!

Thanks to inverted for a good time in the Peace on Tuesday. Nice to see some of the country off the highway there and to know what's there for future bike trips! I look forward to repaying you the hospitality/generosity.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #942
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Quote:
I like her too!

Thanks to inverted for a good time in the Peace on Tuesday. Nice to see some of the country off the highway there and to know what's there for future bike trips! I look forward to repaying you the hospitality/generosity.
lol....Christopher says to mama yesterday morning at breakfast...."mom, did you know Ben eats crayons?" I'm still laughing!

It was a pleasure meeting you, the kids thought you were great, the wife said you were a perfect gentleman, and you are welcome back anytime.

Next time plan for a day, we'll ride them thar hills......
Old 06-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #943
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted
lol....Christopher says to mama yesterday morning at breakfast...."mom, did you know Ben eats crayons?" I'm still laughing!

It was a pleasure meeting you, the kids thought you were great, the wife said you were a perfect gentleman, and you are welcome back anytime.

Next time plan for a day, we'll ride them thar hills......
Mmmmm crayons - the green ones are best! It was great to meet your family too and yep, next time I'll plan for a ride.

Will try and get a new story written up this weekend (but no promises).

Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #944
xrayboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Jesse James

I just saw a preview today for the Jesse James show where he rides on the ice road. Tonight on Spike, a show called Jesse James is a dead man. Check your local listings. The advert said it was a new episode, if it's a rerun and old news don't blame me.

Squonker, I know you listen to CBC radio, did you hear that one of the sat. morning shows is recording in Yellowknife this week. They are having one of the actors from the ice road truckers show on for a segment. It should have been you instead. I still haven't seen an entire episode of that show. I imagine this thread is 10x better.
xrayboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #945
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayboy
I just saw a preview today for the Jesse James show where he rides on the ice road. Tonight on Spike, a show called Jesse James is a dead man. Check your local listings. The advert said it was a new episode, if it's a rerun and old news don't blame me.

Squonker, I know you listen to CBC radio, did you hear that one of the sat. morning shows is recording in Yellowknife this week. They are having one of the actors from the ice road truckers show on for a segment. It should have been you instead. I still haven't seen an entire episode of that show. I imagine this thread is 10x better.
Hey, yeah I heard they were doing 'Go' from YK this weekend ...unfortunately I won't be there as I'm going to be spending the summer on Van Isle. Didn't know they were having an ice road trucker on but I guess it'd be Alex. I'll try and listen in. I'm on the road right now and I won't be able to watch Jesse James tonight either, unfortunately. Hopefully it'll be on as a re-run one day. Because I'm traveling (in beautiful Revelstoke, B.C. this morning) I haven't been able to do another write-up lately, so here are some pics for now. I'll be on the island on Tues and will try and do another write-up shortly after that. Cheers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: