Oddometer: 53
No sweat b'ys, first episode aired, next episode will aire sunday night

Now more real ice road pics! lol
ChazCable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1862
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Great, thanks ChazCable! I look forward to watching it...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #1863
Unique458
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazCable View Post
No sweat b'ys, first episode aired, next episode will aire sunday night

Now more real ice road pics! lol

Here you go:

Unique458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1864
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

...and one from me!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #1865
ChazCable
Mechanic

Ahhhh.... the cold!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #1866
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Hey ChazCable, that link allowed me to watch the first episode, but it took three attempts, the sound wasn't synched with the video and my web browser is infested with toolbars and add ons! Never mind, just send me a cheque for a new laptop and we'll call it good!

In other news, that's Art alright - the one and only. And it appears that nothing has changed. Should be an interesting show as long as he's still on it! Can't wait to watch the rest!

Old 06-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #1867
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
What, you were carrying fuel in portable containers or something? I don't think I've ever seen a van body with a fuel placard before.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #1868
Unique458
Adventurer

2013 Season

Day 20:

Today was an eventful day............. On this trip heading north, we saw 2 trucks that were off into the snowbank, we stopped at Lockhart for some food, then an hour north of Lockhart, while just coming off a lake onto a portage, my partner's wheels ( set ) came off the pup on one side. This is crazy! i thought to myself, this just happened to the other guy in our group.....twice. ( i should have taken pictures ).
I'm gonna have to keep a close eye on my wheels so it doesn't happen to me.

We came to find out later on, that the problem with the wheels is supposedly, is there was a new mechanic hired on in Fort Sask AB. and he was over torquing the wheel nuts, and because of the cold temperatures and rough terrain, the rims would work themselves lose, and off they went. This was told to us by the head guy of the company i was working for.

So my partner loses his wheels, security was just on the other side of the portage, and heard all this on the C.B. so he came over right away to lend some assistance, and told the rest of the group to carry on, he didn't want trucks sitting around and in the way.
I was second in line so this designated me the leader of the group (3) This was my first time leading, the leaders job is to call out portage #'s call in the truck #'s to dispatch or security checkpoints, So they know were we are at all times, and advise your group of anything that would be of concern while out on the ice road, like flood zones , or road work.

While my partner.......that sounds gay doesn't it LoL! ..........while my buddy would be down for repairs for a bit, i thought to my self that this would be a good time to get away from him and set my own pace, and run a litter harder, i was comfortable enough to run solo at this point, and like i mentioned before, my BUDDY likes to run at his pace, which there's nothing wrong with that, but for me i see time being wasted and could be spent making $$. The drive along the lakes and portages are so long that you have all day to socialize, why do it in camp when not moving, when you can do it in a truck while moving????, it is good to get out of the truck for a while, stretch your legs and stuff, but not every day. So i'll try it for a couple runs and see how it goes.

Later on that night as i was leaving, my buddy showed up, he had raised the suspension on the side where the wheels had come off, and tied it in place with a chain he borrowed from a passing flat deck. He was pissed off at me that i was not gonna wait for him, it would have set me back 1 - 1-1/2 hrs, and i thought he didn't wait for me when i was down for repairs, ( besides i wanted to go it alone ) , anyways.....he didn't like it.
So i went on with a guy named ( jewels ), Ben know's who i mean, he seems to be a popular guy up there, everyone knows him, he has a Australian accent, or something like that. He's the type of guy i wish i could run with, he run's the road real hard, back'n'forth no nonsense, all the time running solo. A real nice guy, too bad he's on freight.

We drove to portage 49 for 4 hrs sleep, before continuing to YK , I got to know him a bit on our way back, he reminded me of my brothers n law, a free spirit, does what ever he wants, goes where ever. A nice guy.
That's one thing i'm beginning to like out here, is all the different people you get to meet.

Day 21:

4 Hrs later, Jewels and i headed for YK, approaching Lockhart camp, Jewels asked if i needed to stop in, i replied " not if you don't need to ", so he called out to dispatch, " 2 trucks southbound empty looking to turn and burn " Lockhart give us the go-ahead, and we continued on. We had a great day heading south, the sun was out in full force, the temps were warming up a bit, the conversation was good, we arrived in YK at 3:30PM.
and by 6pm i was heading north again, Yee! Haa!. The plan is to get to Lockhart tonight for a few hrs sleep, a quick breakfast, and off again, if i don't stop for some sleep somewhere's, i will most likely join the other's that tend to like sleeping in the snowbank LOL!
Now that i'm solo, i'm gonna try to get 4 loads a week, instead of 3, so we'll see what happens.

Day 22:

After a quick breakfast, i found a someone to go north with, so not wasting any time away we went. The trip north was uneventful , except for the raven that's always in the same spot looking for handouts, it's kinda nice to see him today, the conversation was lacking compared to my last trip south.
On the northern side of mackay i saw a large heard of caribou, i took some pictures but they were really far away, so the pictures sucked, it was the first time i saw caribou out in the wild.
I delivered load # 7 and the whole ordeal took about 3hrs, between getting unloaded, and finding someone to go south with, there were no other tankers heading south, plenty heading to the sleeping area, but that's not where i want to go, there were a few flat decks there but for them it takes time to get unloaded compared to tanks.

I finally got going south with david, his day was gonna end at Lockhart, i was gonna continue south to YK at the earliest i could, so to stay ahead of my buddy and follow my own pace.

I got to YK at 5am, haven driven throughout the night to avoid the D.O.T. they usually start their shift around 6am.
5am the tank farm is not open yet so i'll set my alarm for 5 hrs sleep, and reload after the morning rush.

Most drivers out of our yard, try to book tee times between 4am 8am, if you can avoid those hrs, getting a tee time when you want is usually not a problem, and there is always someone looking to do the same, but if you can find a partner that wants to run the same hrs, then you are good to go whenever you want to.

These pics are just at random:

Inside Lockhart

Here's a picture driving across Mackay, not so great of a day:

And on my GPS , on my way back in the fast lane your allowed 60km:

Old 06-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #1869
Unique458
Adventurer

Oh! something i just thought of............Did you guy's know or ever wonder why Hugh roland, has not come back to the Yellowknife Ice Roads ???

I have a story for that!..........
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #1870
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 995
I finally got to see the first episode of the new season.

I remember why I stopped watching it last season. Hugh is ridiculously unprofessional at times, especially hazing a new hire (Art, who is probably the only reason I'll watch this season, the drama is almost too much).

There is breaking someone in, and then there are dumbass move that cost money. Putting someone in front that has no prior knowledge is either ignorance or belligerence, or some combination of the two.

Art is a fascinating character of a person that simply hasn't had enough screen time yet where he isn't getting ripped.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #1871
wilfred
juvenile delinquent

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post
Oh! something i just thought of............Did you guy's know or ever wonder why Hugh roland, has not come back to the Yellowknife Ice Roads ???

Do tell.

semper-fi
wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #1872
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique458 View Post

You have my attention and my curiosity.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 AM   #1873
ChazCable
Mechanic

hmm, always worked for me lol, shoulda told ya what site i used, either way, the season will be a bit more interesting now, that makes three celebrities you know, Alex, Jay and Art
Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #1874
Unique458
Adventurer

2013 Season

Just a quick story about Hugh, i got to leave in 30min.

On our way north from Fort Sask. to Yellowknife, the bossman's group of 6 and a few others, we were chatting it up, talking smack and telling lie's, He He He.

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but this is what i was told that happened, the last year that Hugh and his crew drove on the Yellowknife ice roads, and why they have not been back.

For those of you that have followed the first season, you might recall that there was an episode, where Hugh was hauling a load of ( super B's ) Ammonium nitrate, he was coming around a turn when he came up on another truck, and they collided, and Hugh's truck was heavily damaged. One of the bags of nitrate had got cut open and i guess it's not good stuff to have spilling all over the ice, as i understand it, it melts the ice like salt would. The show portrays the other driver as being completely in the wrong, Blah Blah Blah!, as any good T.V. show would.

So here is what i was told, ( supposed to be what really happened ).
As we all know, Huge is an aggressive driver, go go go all the time, pushing to get the most loads, he was on his way north, driving north, driving way too fast, when he got to this corner, ( i'm not sure exactly where this happened, which portage etc. ), but he apparently cut to the inside of the corner, and that's when he met up with the on coming truck.

The oncoming truck happened to be one of the trucks owned by my employer last winter, by his driver's statement, Hugh was in the wrong lane, driving like a bat outta hell, so there was no time to react, and as narrow as the portages are, there is not much room to manoeuvre anyways.

So in Hugh's point of view, boss's truck was in the wrong, and in bosses view Hugh was in the wrong.

My boss man was able to prove, (this is what he told me), that Hugh was driving way to fast, by the departure time he had left YK, he should not have been that far up the road, therefore should not have been there in the first place, and it also proved that this was a recurring trend with Hugh, every trip was being done in record time, so obviously he was a danger to everyone on every trip.

Boss man said he took him to either court, or the top level of the ones that run the road, and had him band for life, because of the incident, and his past driving times.

So this is what i was told by boss man, and he seemed pretty proud of himself for doing so.

Anyhow i got to go, i'm late..................
Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 AM   #1875
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,136
Snapped these two well set up Central Queensland Haulage KWhoppers with low loader trailers taking a break just north of Brisbane. Hard working trucks, kept in good condition.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: