User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 206 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #46
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Squonker, all your picture posting questions are answered here in this help forum thread. Great pics & thread.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #47
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,989
Thanks!

Thank you Arch - much appreciated. Here goes with a test...

Well, would you look at that! This is an inukshuk/snowmoman cross breed. There's probably a biological term for this, but it's beyond me. The bikini is starting to wash away - I took too long before snapping this pic.

I do know the biological name for this, though - it be a fox. Clever, aren't I?

There was a group of perhaps 5 or 6 wolves snacking on a caribou carcass one evening. I stopped beside them, but they were camera shy. That would've been a National Geographic shot. Well, if taken by a pro...

More flooding.

And another one taken while we were stuck at Diavik. Me trying to get fancy with the camera again.

Arch - thanks a million, man. This so much easier!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #48
safetywire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
WOW! Great thread! Thanks for posting this.
safetywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #49
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Too damn cool!

Right on - thanks Granitesun, Boxergrrlie, Fat Tony - anyone I haven't acknowledged yet. Glad you're enjoying it!

I just found these pics in a completely different folder than my other ice road pics. Go figure. I have to state, for the record, that I DID NOT TAKE THESE THREE PICS. Ok, so we're clear, right?

These were taken on the Mackenzie River crossing in Fort Providence. Although it's 310 kms south of Yellowknife, it's an integral part of the road 'cos if you can't cross the river, you can't get to YK. Any truck coming from down south has to make this crossing, and that includes any tankers loading in Hay River - which is a significant portion of the trucks on the ice road. There are clear signs stating weight limits, and this is what happens if you think you know better.

The main ice road can't open until this crossing does, and at the end of the season, when the main road closes all the hundreds of rigs from out of town make a run for it back across the river, rather than being stuck on the wrong side of it for a month. (See Commuterboy's post earlier in this thread - thanks Commuterboy).

So now you know why we stick so rigidly to the speed limits, like the sign in the first post of the thread. One more shot that I DID NOT TAKE.

So this guy made it out just fine, but not everyone does. In 2000 one of the crew building the main road went through. He made it out of the water, but his heart couldn't take the shock, and gave out. On Dec 23rd 2005 a 23 yr old Yellowknife man, while building the Prosperous Lake road 15 km outside Yellowknife, went through in his plow truck. The ice just gave way beneath him, apparently. No warning, nothing anyone could do. He never even made it out of the water. (The Prosperous Lk rd is the one I was on in my Honda when I rose up on the wave - see earlier thread.)

squonker screwed with this post 09-23-2007 at 11:20 AM
Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #50
Sikorsky
The Man.

Oddometer: 222
Fantastic thread, a great read .... thanks much.
Sikorsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 AM   #51
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
I cant see the pictures. Any one else? All I have is the little white box with the x in it. When I right click and select open picture I get nothin. Come on, I dont want to miss this. What am I doing wrong?
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 AM   #52
CGH
Polluting the ether

Oddometer: 20,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid
I cant see the pictures. Any one else? All I have is the little white box with the x in it. When I right click and select open picture I get nothin. Come on, I dont want to miss this. What am I doing wrong?
Same here.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #53
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Hang on, hang on...

Ok, maybe it's me screwing up. I'll give myself a check up from the neck up and re-do those pics - I think I know what I did wrong. I'll get the hang of this one day...probably....

Old 09-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #54
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Question

That better?
Just in case, here are those three pics again....(oh, and I DID NOT TAKE THESE!)

Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #55
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Thats better. That guy must have shit himself.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #56
woodgrain
In-Dented Savant

Oddometer: 784
Squonker, I applied at RTL Robinson and am waiting for a reply, Tli Cho won't talk to me until October, apparently they hire locals first then southerners such as myself. In the meantime I'll send you my e-mail addy so I may ask you a few questions about the "THE JOB" if that's OK. Thanks in advance.

Woodgrain
woodgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:42 PM   #57
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

The journey continues...

KootenayK - yeah, I bet he shat himself! Man, that has to be scary...yikes!

Woodgrain - I'll reply to your PM in a day or so. Glad to be of service!

Here's another shot of the road:

Charlie's Hill is the steepest on what is generally a pretty straightforward road, and it's a good idea to be prepared...so they give you a warning!

The approach may be in a 25 kmh speed limit, but no one (not even security) is going to have a problem with your picking it up to 40 or even 50 kmh if you think you need to.

It isn't a terribly steep hill, but there's a false top, and you'd want to make sure no-one was coming the other way before you head up. Two trucks can pass on it, but it's not commonly done. It's not always sanded as well as you'd like, and generally speaking if you're going to spin out somewhere, this'll be the place...

...like this truck belonging to The Red Army did. He'd hardly even began to climb the hill, and refused to back down to take another run at it, so we had to wait for something like 2 hours for him to put his chains on and get going. Can't remember whether he needed a tow or not, too. He said that the truck had been in the shop all day, that he'd been late leaving town because they were still working on it. When he finally got going, the gas pedal was sticking or something - it wouldn't spring back far enough to let the rpms drop, and so it was difficult to shift. That's what happened here, a failed shift. I have a pic of the hole his tires dug somewhere - I'll go look.

Hmm...that shot isn't going to win me any awards!

Here's one of the lower parking lot at Lockhart at night.

I think the doofus with his headlights on is...well...me. Oops! That Western Star wouldn't let you turn the main lights off unless the brakes were set, and as I've already discussed, that ain't gonna happen. I seem to remember there was a bypass switch we'd rigged up so that you could overcome this problem. Apparently I wasn't in the habit of using it. (Like I said - doofus!)

Me trying to be clever again.

Ravens scavenging a caribou carcass left by some hunters.

And lastly, Lac de Gras maintenance camp. Only trucks on their way to or from the far end of the road (Lupin and Tahera mines) are allowed to stop here, although every truck passing it, no matter where you're going to or from, must radio in to dispatch there. It's a cosy camp, always very quiet too. Nice place.

squonker screwed with this post 09-24-2007 at 10:23 PM
Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 PM   #58
alaskaOE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

"I'm a karmic, cosmic comet leaving my stoned, immaculate crater in the soul of the virgin, Mother Earth."
alaskaOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #59
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Awesome, thanks for sharing these pictures and stories.

I had heard about the show on TV, but never really caught it till the very end, then I spent an entire Saturday or Sunday watching the entire season as they dad a big encore run of the season. I was hooked and couldn't step away from the TV.

I kind of felt like they embellished some of the stuff on TV, although I'm sure it's still not an easy task and the conditions down right suck most of the time.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #60
squonker OP
Eat my shorts

Abnormal loads

Hi BlueLightning,

I haven't seen the show yet (still waiting for my DVD to arrive), but I expect it is embellished because that would make better TV. It's not a hard job other than the weather and the sleep deprivation, really. Although going through the ice is a possibility, I don't think it's a very strong one. So yeah, I'm sure it's not as hard as they make out in the show, but don't tell anyone else who reads this thread that!

What's this in the distance?

WTF?

It wouldn't be my idea of fun to haul one of these things up there. South of Lockhart the portages can be pretty 'tippy', and with a load that has a centre of gravity this high...

...your nerves would be all shot to hell by the time you got there. I'm guessing these things (fuel tanks bound for Diavik) don't weigh much, otherwise they wouldn't need the added traction of the bags of cement.

Here they are parked at Lockhart

And at the Meadows, a small dispatch/staging area just a couple of clicks after you turn off the Ingraham trail on to the ice at Tibbett Lake. The ice freezes right down to the ground here so there's no concerns with stopping and parking on the ice.

Don't know what happened to the quality of that pic. I have more shots of other abnormal loads somewhere, being hauled on tandem tridems etc. Later...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: