User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #16
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Dam....thats alot of wheel weight ya got there....
Yep...

But thankfully it makes the bike rock-steady, right up to 185 kms/hr.

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #17
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes
Interesting - never heard of this one before. I've got a SW centerstand on my bike and have beaten the piss out of it on a jeep trail recently with no issues (other than me wiping out). I'll take a closer look at mine today.
+1

I also have the SW-Motech centerstand and the habit of taking Der Panzerschwein into rougher places than I should, and I've never had this happen to me either. This is the first I've ever heard of anything like this. It may have just been an unfortunate fluke. How did it fail, exactly? Did something hit it? Did the bump stop bend? What part of it did you have to hammer out? Photos would help, if you have any.

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
Riteris
Dessert Runner

Oddometer: 2,856
Would it help to tie the center stand in the upright position position before going into rugged terrain?

I am taking the advice of all those people that told me, "Hey kid, why don't you go play in traffic!"
Riteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #19
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheelnut
Until you turn into a compression corner and that cross bar digs into the pavement, lifting the rear off the ground. Not fun. And yes,my stand is only several months old and it's still of the old design... The 'new' ones were to have that cross bar beveled. Not.
I would agree with your concearns about pavment cornering clearance at agressive angle's however the original poster was refering to moderate gravel road riding (25-30mph) and the lack of an adequet bumper stop.
My total ground clearance with h-b center stand is 6.5 inches.
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:42 PM   #20
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riteris
Would it help to tie the center stand in the upright position position before going into rugged terrain?
bingo
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
tedmarshall OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
SW Motech folo-up question/ answer

(How did it fail, exactly? Did something hit it? Did the bump stop bend? What part of it did you have to hammer out? )

This was a first for me as well. I have ridden the 650 on snowmobile trails, atv trails and the Trans-Labrador Highway w/o incident. However, I ride a local RR bed and Sunday I was crusing along about 30 mph on the pegs when I hit a modest hole. The bike's suspension compressed, rebounded, the c/stand retracted and then swung up, momentum I assume carrying the stand upwards beyond the stop enough to hit my left heel. If you look, the SW M stop is tiny, about the diameter of a 25 cent piece. There had to have ben enuf lateral play for the stop to squeeze past. When I got home I took out a big rubber mallet and pounded on the stnd's left side extension ( the thing you push down on to employ said c/stand) until the crossbar was forced back below the stop.
There ya go.
tedmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,587
Sounds like when you hit the hole, the stand dropped down a bit hitting the ground and making it WHACK back up hard and fast. Thus forcing it past it's stopper. Sounds like an isolated incident, but could happen again....
Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #23
jagec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Sounds like when you hit the hole, the stand dropped down a bit hitting the ground and making it WHACK back up hard and fast. Thus forcing it past it's stopper. Sounds like an isolated incident, but could happen again....
Sounds reasonable.

A solution would be some sort of "locking" mechanism to keep the center stand from coming down at all on rough roads. Perhaps a bolt, or just a piece of string, or even a bungee cord. Remove before using the stand again, of course. That would keep the stand from getting broken, unless you use it to pound a big rock into the ground at 40mph of course.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #24
twowheelnut
Back from the shadows.

Oddometer: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
I would agree with your concearns about pavment cornering clearance at agressive angle's however the original poster was refering to moderate gravel road riding (25-30mph) and the lack of an adequet bumper stop.
My total ground clearance with h-b center stand is 6.5 inches.
Check. Merely making a secondary comment about the H-B that needs to be understood as well.
IBA #33287 - DL650AK7, '05 FJR1300
twowheelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #25
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmarshall
Word of warning. The SW-MOTECH aftermarket centerstand can cause injury under this circumstance:
mildly rough railroad bed, modest speed (25-30 mph)...it can extend and retract violently, settling upward an inch or so beyond the stop.

I was standing on the pegs when the centerstand extension came up and whacked my left heel.

When I got home I hammered the centerstand back into proper position. I noted the puny stop wasn't enough to prevent this incident.

My solution: remove centerstand before any vigorous off-road excursion. My heel was torn open even though the boot wasn't punctured. Lots of blood and bruising.

Ted
Do you still have (or had) both springs? Of course over any kind of undulating surface it's possible to get a bad harmonic...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #26
Finder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Why not just secure it with a zip tie when not needed?
Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #27
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar[I
Der Panzerschwein[/I]
That's great!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #28
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,803
On a Baja trip a few years go, the little nipple that holds the springs on my SW centerstand broke off after hitting a rock at speed on the gravel road from Puertocitos. The stand dropped down to the ground and bounced back up but didn't go past the stop.

I used a piece of velcro to tie it up until I could get a new nipple welded on and replace the springs.

My SW centerstand has a wobble in it after so many times being dragged over stuff like topes and other obstacles. The bushings are hogged out so the bike kind of leans to the left when on the centerstand.

I like having one on the bike, not sure which one I'd go with but it is handy to have.

I'm used to having one from my GS and on that bike I had to use it. The bike would fall over on the sidestand from all the weight I had on it. Now, I'm so used to just putting it on the stand when I get off the bike, it's become second nature to just hoist it up.

jkam screwed with this post 09-20-2007 at 04:21 AM
jkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #29
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub
That's great!
My bike was so dubbed because it's German (at least the name "V-Strom" is German), armored (bedliner fairings), and a pig in the dirt.

I took a look at where the stops meet on my bike, and the stop on the stand meets the stop on the bike (which is twice the diameter) well off-center. The stop on the stand side is 90% in contact with the fixed stop, but does overhang a bit. I can imagine that a sizable impact combined with some play in the bushings or some flex somewhere could drive the stand past the stop. I think it would be a freak thing, but not outside the realm of possibility. Tying the stand off with some wire or a zip tie when off road would be a reasonable precaution.

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 AM   #30
Holmes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Jaguar
My bike was so dubbed because it's German (at least the name "V-Strom" is German), armored (bedliner fairings), and a pig in the dirt.
Bedliner fairings? Hmmmm... got any pics of that? I scuffed by right fairing pretty good a few weeks ago and figure it probably won't be the last time...
Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote