Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #31
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes
Bedliner fairings? Hmmmm... got any pics of that? I scuffed by right fairing pretty good a few weeks ago and figure it probably won't be the last time...
Der Panzerschwein in full dirt mode:

I got my hands on a set of road-rashed fairings which I painted with Herculiner roll-on bedliner. I only put them on when I'm going to be riding on dirt so I don't mess up my "good" fairings. I've dropped it a couple of times in the sand and there was no damage at all.

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #32
DarinB
Fish Hunter Esq.

Oddometer: 355
I've had mine bounce down, hit the ground, and bounce back up hard by just hitting a dip in the road. Doesn't do it very often, but it does do it sometimes.
DarinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #33
biketherapy
si se puede

Oddometer: 505
scary issue with the centerstand, I was considering one. sorry for the thread hijack but If you have the swingarm spools bolted on to your bike you can use a couple of jackstands to support the bike, just set one under the spool on the right side of the bike and then pivot the bike up onto it and slide the left one into place and there you go...
Old 09-20-2007, 02:52 PM   #34
nakedape
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Fairings

Those look sweet! I am tempted to make a simalar attempt with my stock ones...maybe the local wrecker will provide me in my time of need.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #35
Duffman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
seriously guys, paddock stand (sometimes called race stand) is the way to go. Very cheap too. I got a cheap one off of ebay and its worked without fault.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:32 PM   #36
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
What type of boots were you wearing?
scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM   #37
maunakea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
why a c/s?

The most important benefit of the centerstand is being able to change the rear tire (or put a tube and a boot in busted tire), away from a shop, without laying the bike on its side.

The c/s also makes lubing the chain very easy, and avoids parking lot punctures (side stand through summer asphalt) with a loaded bike.

Zip tie the c/s and bungee the side stand (Strom engine will be killed by s/s switch) when off-road. You can still get the side stand down when bungeed, then release the top hook of the bungee.
maunakea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM   #38
jmetteer
Filler...

Oddometer: 1,632
This also happened to me, I was only going about 25 mph though so my heel suffered less dammage than yours. It hurt pretty bad for a while and my heel went knumb.

I was headed up this gravel road when I decided to jump a nice little rise in the road. I bottomed out on the other side and wham right in the foot.

The rest of the pictures are here...

Later,
89 Transalp

"Everything you read on the Internet is true, I know because I read it on the Internet"
jmetteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #39
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmetteer
This also happened to me, I was only going about 25 mph though so my heel suffered less dammage than yours. It hurt pretty bad for a while and my heel went knumb.

I was headed up this gravel road when I decided to jump a nice little rise in the road. I bottomed out on the other side and wham right in the foot.

The rest of the pictures are here...

Later,
How much do I want to bet that your bumper wasn't centered on the bump stop when the stand was installed?
Old 09-28-2007, 03:53 PM   #40
jmetteer
Filler...

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
How much do I want to bet that your bumper wasn't centered on the bump stop when the stand was installed?
Correct, I don't think it is possible to get it centered as the stand is designed.

Later,
89 Transalp

"Everything you read on the Internet is true, I know because I read it on the Internet"
jmetteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #41
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunakea
The most important benefit of the centerstand is being able to change the rear tire (or put a tube and a boot in busted tire), away from a shop, without laying the bike on its side.

The c/s also makes lubing the chain very easy, and avoids parking lot punctures (side stand through summer asphalt) with a loaded bike.

Zip tie the c/s and bungee the side stand (Strom engine will be killed by s/s switch) when off-road. You can still get the side stand down when bungeed, then release the top hook of the bungee.
That is a very big +1........I totally agree with ya.

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #42
trailbuster30
Gotta Wee

Oddometer: 48
I don't use a centerstand on my wee, when I get a flat out in the boonies I just plug it and pump it and I'm on my way, no need to remove the wheel since it's tubeless, unlike my KLR which needs a centerstand to get the wheel off to patch the tube.
The ground clearance is also much less than the KLR on the wee so I definitely can see hitting it on stuff off road. I don't really know why a centerstand has to be used to oil a chain when away from home either. I do it all the time using the oil....move bike ahead.....oil method.:)

The extra weight, lower ground clearance, cost, and sometimes difficult install of a centerstand to me were some of the reasons I opted to build a lift rack to get both wheels of the wee off the ground for service.
Although I've never had a tire plug fail if I do want to patch the tire from inside the lift is an easy and safe way to pull either wheel off the bike to do so.

Lowering links can sometimes cause problems also with a centerstand mounted since it requires greater leverage to pull the bike up on to the stand.

Dan
http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN...omAccessories/
trailbuster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #43
maunakea
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbuster30
... when I get a flat out in the boonies I just plug it and pump it and I'm on my way, ...
A pluggable tire is not a busted tire, it is simply a flat tire. A busted tire is not pluggable, thus the need for boot and tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbuster30
... I don't really know why a centerstand has to be used to oil a chain when away from home either.
The "easier lubing of the chain" topic is in a separate paragraph for a reason ... it is not about events when away from a shop. I bet if you had a c/s you would use it to clean and lube the chain. Two different steps, BTW, clean with WD-40, then lube. c/s mades each step very easy. A c/s also makes adjusting chain tension a piece of cake.

Here's a rule of thumb: if you need a skid plate on your Strom, you also should have a centerstand. The logic: if you ride terrain that could bust your crankcase, you could also bust the rear tire.

maunakea screwed with this post 09-29-2007 at 08:17 PM
maunakea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 AM   #44
trailbuster30
Gotta Wee

Oddometer: 48
Well, at least on a bike like the Strom, breaking a tire from hard use off road would be kinda rare. I've destroyed tires on dirt bikes I've owned. :-) I have to say if I wanted something to use to lube my chain away from home, it would probably be something that I wouldn't need to permanently mount on the bike, like the Shermworks stand, great little gadget.

A skid plate doesn't have the possibility of bouncing up and down on rough terrain, a centerstand does. There's also the risk of the protrusions on a centerstand getting hung up on stuff.

Dan

trailbuster30 screwed with this post 09-30-2007 at 01:31 PM
trailbuster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #45
RockyMtnRoadRash
Useful and decorative

Oddometer: 500
I bottomed my HB/SW/Whatever stand out HARD on some rocks in the Uintahs. In the process I stretched out the mounting hole for one of the four bolts and mashed the stand up and out of place but good.

It's for sale cheap, though you'll want new bolts. I'll never be able to mount a centerstand on my bike again.

держите мою водку и наблюдайте это!
RockyMtnRoadRash is offline   Reply With Quote