Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #46
MrBob
Certified Geezer

Oddometer: 7,561
On a related note; while washing my new wee up on its new SW Motech center stand the bike was on a very slight incline. The force of the hose was enough for move is slightly forward and over she went - one busted turn signal and scratched fairing. Almost any forward movement of the bike while up on the stand will mean disaster.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #47
renzo750
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Mo-Tech Centerstand

I have about 60,000 on my 2002 DL1000. I purchased a Mo-Tech centerstand immediately because I did not want to compromise ground clearance with the Suzuki stand. My life with the MO-Tech stand has sucked from day one. The stand has never really felt all that stable, it will bounce to the ground, two up I have nailed it on very minor ruts, etc. But my biggest complaint is it flat wore out, even greased every so often the holes wore so bad the stand became unsafe to use except for very carefully lubing the of chain. I've had the bike roll forward off the stand; luckily I caught the bike before it hit the ground.

Bottom line, IMHO the (early) MO-Tech stand is crap!
renzo750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #48
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Are you sure you used both the springs when installing? I have never had a problem w/ mine but the single spring is not enough.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #49
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,342
just for reference, i've never had a lick of trouble with the Hepco-Becker centrestand aside from dragging it on a corner now and again. i bet i've done this 10 times in 15K and all but once was two-up. never had any issue in the dirt but i suspect you fellows are riding yours harder in the dirt than i have.

there are issues both with lowering and raising links and a centrestand. one of the fellows i ride with on occaision has raising links and his CS is almost worthless.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #50
MajorDuc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Never had a problem with my SW Mo-tech stand, even riding two up and hitting some very large dips, ditto for one up on deeply rutted and rocky FS roads. I did go out and look at it after seeing this thread, and the rubber stop is only abut 1/3 the size of the one on my Multistrada (now that is a poorly designed center stand, but that's another story). Should be easy enough to replace with a larger rubber bumper. Never an issue with it dropping though, that's wierd. The bike is also very solidly planted when on the center stand. I might be able to knock it over with a fire hose, but if you are using a pressure washer on a motorcycle, you need to reconsider what you're doing, as you will drive water into places it is not meant to be.

Almost sounds like we're discussing two different brands of centerstands. Many of my trips are over 800 miles and frequently in the rain or bad roads, so being able to lube the chain in route is important. Ditto for tire repair.
2006 V-Strom 650
1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport/Speed Triple hybrid
2000 Super Sherpa KL250
MajorDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #51
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer: 436
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDuc
Never had a problem with my SW Mo-tech stand,
Almost sounds like we're discussing two different brands of centerstands. Many of my trips are over 800 miles and frequently in the rain or bad roads, so being able to lube the chain in route is important. Ditto for tire repair.
I'm suspecting that we are talking about two different centerstands. Note that the SW Motech stand has been re-engineered since its original incarnation. I still wouldn't leave the bike up on it for longer than necessary to lube the chain or repair the tire, because it is a narrow stand and not as secure as having the bike on its sidestand, but for the purposes that I bought it, it seems to work just fine. Note that I don't ride off-road so I don't know what would happen there, but I've certainly ridden some bone-jarring roads with the thing and nothing happened.

_E
Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #52
axelwik
Yep

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto
How much do I want to bet that your bumper wasn't centered on the bump stop when the stand was installed?
Here's the one I put on two weeks ago. The bumper seems centered to me - maybe they improved the design.

Although it's very easy to get the bike on the SW-Motech stand, the bike seems a little "wobbly" or unstable to me. All the OEM stands I've used are slightly harder to get up, but are much more solid.
Attached Images

axelwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #53
MajorDuc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I purchased mine in August 2006, and it is so solid you could use the bike for a balance beam, seriously. It is much more solid than center stands I have on a Ducati, Kawasaki (wifes) and my Triumph. The center stand stop and rubber bumper mate right on center as well. When was this re-design?
2006 V-Strom 650
1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport/Speed Triple hybrid
2000 Super Sherpa KL250
MajorDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #54
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,632
I have the OEM Suzuki stand (came with the bike) and in the few off-roading trails I've done I haven't had a problem. I also haven't had it scrape when turning left aggressively so maybe I'm just not leaning it over as much? (the outside edge of my boot scrapes before my centerstand).

It's extremely stable and I have to give it quite a good rocking/push forward to get it off the stand.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote