User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #1
Duster929 OP
New Member!

Oddometer: 195
Thumbs-up for Max BMW

I don't know exactly where to post this, because I don't see a "reviews" section in the forums. But I do want to take a minute to share with everyone how impressed I am with Max BMW of New Hampshire (as well as their New York location).

I just bought an '05 1200GS from them, and had to travel from Toronto to New Hampshire to pick it up. I bought it sight unseen, based on an ebay posting, a bunch of photographs, and a few phone conversations with them. I hadn't dealt with them before, didn't know what their reputation was, and had a lot of uncertainty and doubt over how things would go. I used my best judgement and it seemed in my interactions with them that they were very legitimate, honest, and organized.

They negotiated with me in a friendly and helpful manner, and after agreeing to a price, they processed the paperwork quickly and efficiently, and sent me everything I needed by courier. They helped me do what I needed to do to import the bike to Canada and gave me some good advice along the way. My experience with motorcycle dealers hasn't always been this good - these guys are organized and professional. I definitely felt like they knew what they were doing, and they had a good amount of knowledge about cross-border issues, as they have a number of Canadian customers, so that put me at ease as well.

The clincher came when I was on my way down there to pick up the bike. Due to a computer problem, I was stuck at the border trying to get into the US for over 2 hours. Given the distance I had to cover to get to New Hampshire, I realized that I wasn't going to make it in time before Max closed up shop for the day. I called them to let them know, and without making a big deal of it, they told me they would stay open late until I got there and would stay as long as it took to get the paperwork done.

I got there 45 minutes after closing time and the place was open, they were even serving other customers. They took the time to help me load the bike, give me an orientation, and answer my questions. They didn't rush me at all, even though I'm sure they wanted to close up.

And it gets better. A friend of mine bought another BMW the same weekend, in a private sale. As luck would have it, the bike had been serviced at Max's other location, in Troy, NY. I gave them a call and they were happy to give me the service history of the bike and its recall status, which my friend needed to import the bike into Canada.

Overall, I was just impressed at the professionalism and positive attitude of the whole operation. I felt from the start like I was a valuable and important customer to them, even though I am an out-of-towner and hadn't dealt with them before. They could have treated me like a one-time customer, but now I feel somehow like part of the Max family, and I intend to buy whatever I can from them in the future (they do mail-order accessories to Canada!).

So, a big thumbs-up to the crew at Max BMW New Hampshire - Frank, Brian, Evan, John, and Rose in accessories. And also to Ben in the NY store who got me the service records just as a favour. I didn't meet or speak with Max himself but I'm sure he's a solid guy, if he's got these good people working for him.

Hope to see all of you again sometime, and I look forward to doing more business with you!

--- D

Duster929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 752
I haven't always had the best dealer experiences either, but MAX has also served me well. I bought me Wilber's shocks from them. Get this, I rec'd my custom shocks only 2 weeks later (enclosed in the box was little gift bag of M&Ms too)! Now that's service....
pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Good to know. I've ordered parts a couple times and have always been happy.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
MichaelSr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Good Luck With Your New Bike

I also bought from MAX NY, I live in NYC and have a couple of dealer choices. I even went to a local dealer with a pocket full of cash ready to drive out with a bike, but was'nt taken serious. Tried to sell me a low model 650 GS. Spoke with a friend who bought a 1200 GS from MAX and he said "make the trip" you wont be disappointed. A couple of phone calls and off I went. I dealt with Joe, Steve and Ben by closing time in the rain we loaded into my pick-up a 07 Black 1200 GS. Highly recommended. Worth the trip..........
Attached Images

MichaelSr screwed with this post 09-19-2007 at 02:25 PM
MichaelSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,631
You say thumbs up, but I say otherwise. Read the thread here to find out why.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186708

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
NeedForSpeed
PAK-MEISTER.COM

Oddometer: 1,271
I just bought a New GSA from Max 3 weeks ago and had it shipped to Ky. Everything was A+ and as you described.
NeedForSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
Duster929 OP
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore
You say thumbs up, but I say otherwise. Read the thread here to find out why.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186708
Haaa! +1

I didn't know about this M&M thing. Now I'm pissed that I went all the way to New Hampshire and all I got was a great new bike.

--- D

Old 09-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #8
MichaelSr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Yep

Bought some used items from MAX E-Bay. When dumping out the foam packing out came a bag of M&M's which was quickly snatched up by my 3 year old son. Now he thinks every mail package has candy in them. Thanks MAX......... Just kidding I had no problem over powering him and taking back what was rightfully mine
MichaelSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I'm lucky enough to live just up the way from the NH shop and have browsed around many times. Was always well received even when I showed up on that OTHER bike - the loud red eye-talian one - and didn't buy anything. Bought my GS from them last fall and have been very pleased with their service. No M&Ms, though . . .
DocRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
DUX
GS: The Anti-Chrome

Oddometer: 256
I drove 7hrs from Dover, DE to pick up my 2007 Adv from them.

Great shop!
DUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
Exurban
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Why not closer?

What made you go all the way to Max's? Inventory or price? I stopped in there on my way back from Gaspe and got all warm and fuzzy but a six hour drive is a six hour drive.
Exurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,918
I bought my used 2002 1150GS from Max. Great guys up there. I'm only 15 min away, so it was the logical choice, but I would travel great distances for such service. Like all dealers, their labor charges are far too high, so I am self tought on maintaining my bike now, but I still go there for certain parts and lubricants.

There she is on the day I picked her up:

dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #13
Duster929 OP
New Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exurban
What made you go all the way to Max's? Inventory or price? I stopped in there on my way back from Gaspe and got all warm and fuzzy but a six hour drive is a six hour drive.
For me it was the fact that US prices are just so much better than Canadian. Truthfully, I was hoping to pick it up at their NY location, which would have been only a 4 hour drive. Going to NH added a few hours but took me through some beautiful country, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

--- D

Old 09-21-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Max

That's my kind of a place.
Attached Images

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #15