User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Oddometer: 308
Alaska trip - 2 weeks long enough?

I am planning on a trip to Alaska from Sacramento summer of 09 and wondered if 2 weeks is long enough to see some of the major sights?

I was planning on slabbing it quickly to Canada and then up to Alaska and catching a ferry back down to Seattle or somewhere close.

Thanks.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Dude have you looked at how many miles it is from sacramento? Have you ever seen how big alaska really is? If you were to overlay alaska over the manland of the US it is about the same as new mexico, nevada, california, utah, and colorado put together(if not bigger). If it were me I would plan on more time off or to fly up and rent a motorcycle or something. Alaska is freak huge dude.

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Because I was curious I checked out the distance and estimated time. It is 3,107 miles from sacramento to Anchorage alaska and the estimated time to get there is 56 hours. Thats not taking into account; traffic, road construction, accidents, road closures, freak weather, etc... If you were to travel 12 hours a day it would take 4 and a half days each way, that would leave you roughly 5 days to site see. I would more like 4 because you would have a half day when you get there and half a day before you leave. You could do it but your gonna be in such a hurry and so exhausted it may take away from enjoying the trip. just my 2 cents. Still if 2 weeks is all you have then Id say do it.

taking the ferry however may make up some time. I dont know how much though, Im sure someone here will be able to help more.

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burtonridr
Dude have you looked at how many miles it is from sacramento? Have you ever seen how big alaska really is? If you were to overlay alaska over the manland of the US it is about the same as new mexico, nevada, california, utah, and colorado put together(if not bigger). If it were me I would plan on more time off or to fly up and rent a motorcycle or something. Alaska is freak huge dude.
Yeah, I know it sucks that I only have 2 weeks but it is what it is. I know I won't be able to see all of the cool spots in Alaska but just a couple would be fine for my first adventure up there.

Maybe someone can chime in on whether taking the ferry up and back would allow me more time in Alaska.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Dawg_enD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
The ferry from Seattle comes in 2 flavors. One is a 4.5 day, the other is a 3 (I think.) You could save some time, yes.... but not too much, I don't think. Well, it depends on what kind of miles you do in a day.

I took 3 to see Alaska, including the 5 day ferry ride, from Alaska. You can see a lot in the time you laid out, yes. You just won't see it all, nor have time to enjoy things as in depth as you may like.

Oh, and you'll have to do some fairly long days on the bike. I'd recommend skipping Prudhoe Bay with your time constraints.

If 2 weeks is all you have, go for it.
Dawg_enD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #6
HeadingNorth
Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer: 987
Well Hmmm

I just did 5 weeks all over Alaska and he Yukon and here is what I would do if I were you.

Go straight to Hyder and Stewart on the Cassiar Hwy, Then go to Watson Lake which is close to where the Cassiar and Alcan meet. Then head west to Tok. Then take the Hwy to towards Anchorage but then grab the road to Valdez. Come back upand around and hit Seward, Homer then the road to Anchorage. Continue to Cantwell and do the Denali Hwy to Paxson.
Then basically haul your ass home. Be prepared to do 500+ miles days and you won't have time to smell the roses.

Basically see the Kenai Penensula along with the Cassiar Hwy.
Best of the bunch on your time constraints.

Hey you can always call the boss from the road and tell him you have eye trouble-You can't see coming to work.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
I just did 5 weeks all over Alaska and he Yukon and here is what I would do if I were you.

Go straight to Hyder and Stewart on the Cassiar Hwy, Then go to Watson Lake which is close to where the Cassiar and Alcan meet. Then head west to Tok. Then take the Hwy to towards Anchorage but then grab the road to Valdez. Come back upand around and hit Seward, Homer then the road to Anchorage. Continue to Cantwell and do the Denali Hwy to Paxson.
Then basically haul your ass home. Be prepared to do 500+ miles days and you won't have time to smell the roses.

Basically see the Kenai Penensula along with the Cassiar Hwy.
Best of the bunch on your time constraints.

Hey you can always call the boss from the road and tell him you have eye trouble-You can't see coming to work.
Hey thanks for the tips! Unfortunately, I'm the boss so I'd have to make up an excuse to myself. Hmmmmm...

I may try to modify your route a little. I don't realistically expect to see a whole lot but just wanted to experience a little Alaskan adventure.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Summer of '09, 2 years into the future...really?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
I don't think two weeks is enough. We took four and a half from Montana...11,000 miles.

www.motoalaska.blogspot.com

If I had two weeks from where you are, I'd do the Canadian Rockies....Glacier Park, Waterton Park, Banff, Jasper , Whitier and home...........Actually a much nicer trip with sometimes even better scenery than Alaska and absolutely better, more fun roads!
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 PM   #10
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
"If I had two weeks from where you are, I'd do the Canadian Rockies....Glacier Park, Waterton Park, Banff, Jasper , Whitier and home...........Actually a much nicer trip with sometimes even better scenery than Alaska and absolutely better, more fun roads!__________________
Roy B
Dartmouth, Ma"

This is brilliant advice. either this or fly to AK and rent a bike if you just have to do AK.
Benjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Thanks everyone for the tips. I guess I have to scale back my Alaska adventure. The PNW of Canada sounds like a great trip. I guess anywhere north of Sacramento would be fun.

Someone asked if I am really planning a trip 2 years out. Yes I am because:

1) It will be my longest motorcycle trip.
2) I have never had a 2 week vacation before and advance planning is needed so that I don't waste this luxury.
3) Part of the fun is planning and thinking about such an adventure. So for me it is a pleasure to read about different routes and areas to visit.

Thank again everyone for the suggestions!

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #12
m0to
Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer: 369
I did it in two weeks from San Diego. I'm glad I did but if I do it again I'm taking at least 3 if not 4 weeks to do it. I only had two weeks with time contraints between my riding bud and I. If you want to see more on it here's a link to my ride report. Alaska 07

Feel free to ask any questions via PM or here. We were pretty aggressive and still to this day I'm stoked we did the trip :-)
Old 09-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #13
m0to
Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
I love your chart w/ daily mileage
Thanks! I need to make a second table with the 'actual' miles. Because we didn't go quite as planned. haha
Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
jkersh1
Live it, or live with it

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
"If I had two weeks from where you are, I'd do the Canadian Rockies....Glacier Park, Waterton Park, Banff, Jasper, Whitier and home...........Actually a much nicer trip with sometimes even better scenery than Alaska and absolutely better, more fun roads!
Beautiful for sure. A little farther along the Alaska Highway is the Muncho Lake, Laird River area, in between Fort Nelson BC and Watson Lake YT. In my couple of trips to Alaska I've seen more wildlife in that couple of hundred miles than on the rest of the roads combined. And there are hot springs and spectacular scenery, and many fewer turistas than Banff, Jasper etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0to
I did it in two weeks from San Diego. I'm glad I did but if I do it again I'm taking at least 3 if not 4 weeks to do it. I only had two weeks with time contraints between my riding bud and I. If you want to see more on it here's a link to my ride report. Alaska 07

Feel free to ask any questions via PM or here. We were pretty aggressive and still to this day I'm stoked we did the trip :-)
Fantastic!! I was a bit depressed about not being able to get to Alaska, but you've really given me hope! I realize that I won't be able to go to the Artic Circle this time around but just to ride up trhough Canada and parts of Alaska would be so cool!

Thanks again!

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------