Originally Posted by Shoganai
Yes, planning and dreaming is at least half the fun
Check out these sites:

http://www.canadatourism.ca/
http://www.explore.canada.travel/ctc...da.travel/home

Especially this one.........

http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/default...google-adwords

If I may suggest something else.
The way I plan a trip is after choosing a destination, then I get maps and tourist info. Much of that is free.

Then I select the MAJOR places or things I don't want to miss.

Then I select the things that would be cool if I have time or the timing of me passing thru there might work out.

Then I connect the dots.

Then I estimate how long the major things might take up.

Then I estimate what my total milage might be.

A casual pace for me on mostly paved roads is 400 miles per day. That leaves time for one sit down meal, plenty of pictures, and a chill down relaxed evening at camp at the end of the day.

Pushing 500-600 you may find yourself feeling pushed, and that's no way to spend vacation

One more thing, remember this........... you will NEVER regret taking a photo but you WILL regret those you were too rushed to take or didn't go back to capture. That moment in time will be lost forever.
Thanks for the links and the tips! I think I will have a much better idea of where I CAN go in 2 weeks versus where I WISH I could go. I do want to enjoy the trip so I don't want to rush just to make some miles.

BTW, one of the first memorable trip reports I read was the one by you where you rode on some back roads to meet your friend. I think you were wishing you had a more dirt oriented bike. Awesome trip and a real adventure.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what's for lunch."
--Orson Welles

2005 BMW F650GS Dakar (sold)
2008 Honda Goldwing Dark Metallic Red ABS (sold)
2007 KTM 990 Adventure Orange (sold )
2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
IncompleteInsanity
Ride more, type less.

Oddometer: 138
I have not done the Alaska trip myself, yet, but friends have. From what they have related to me, I would spend the most time I could on the ride up, and then in Alaska. Then have made plans to ship my bike home from Anchorage, and fly home commercially (saving all the days riding home would take).
IncompleteInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #18
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,275
Wow, Sacramento to AK is almost the same as Chicago to AK.

Can you run back-to-back 700 milers on the 990? The days will get longer as you go farther north, but their is a limit to rider endurance. Do you want to run back-to-back 700 milers is really the question.

Could you negotiate for some more vacation time. It'll take a week to get there, a few days less to get back. This just leaves enough time to eat a burger and a Coke and turn around if all you have is 2 weeks.

Plus, 2 weeks doesn't leave much time for problems. I mean, you'll probably be down for a total of 1 day just for tire and oil changes. More if your 990 has a few gremlins along the way.

There is a lot to see on the way up. 5-7 days is a bit more realistic. The ferry on the way back is a good idea.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #19
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,129
This post is about planning a trip two years from now that will be two weeks in duration.
I remember that girl back in high school. She was two years my senior, but had captured my attention in such a way that could never be logically explained.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #20
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
This post is about planning a trip two years from now that will be two weeks in duration.
I remember that girl back in high school. She was two years my senior, but had captured my attention in such a way that could never be logically explained.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 PM   #21
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_bmw_for_me
Wow, Sacramento to AK is almost the same as Chicago to AK.

Can you run back-to-back 700 milers on the 990? The days will get longer as you go farther north, but their is a limit to rider endurance. Do you want to run back-to-back 700 milers is really the question.

Could you negotiate for some more vacation time. It'll take a week to get there, a few days less to get back. This just leaves enough time to eat a burger and a Coke and turn around if all you have is 2 weeks.

Plus, 2 weeks doesn't leave much time for problems. I mean, you'll probably be down for a total of 1 day just for tire and oil changes. More if your 990 has a few gremlins along the way.

There is a lot to see on the way up. 5-7 days is a bit more realistic. The ferry on the way back is a good idea.
All good points NBFM. My intent with this post is to solicit feedback from people that have ridden to Alaska and see if, indeed, 2 weeks is sufficient. It doesn't seem that way unless I:

a) Fly up and rent a bike
b) Ride up and tour Alaska then transport the bike home
c) Ride like the wind to get to Alaska and risk major injury to my posterior

I'm thinking that a 2 week ride up to the PNW and back would be more fun.

Thanks all for the suggestions, tips and encouragement. I look forward to 2 years of happy anticipation.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #22
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 773
Don't worry about it,I did it in 3wks(round trip from NC) and saw everything I wanted to see and then some.Rode the Campbell,Dempster and Denali Hwys.Even spent 2 nights in Valdez and took the ferry to Whittier that I didn't think I would have time for when I "planned" for the trip.
Spend the next 2 yrs riding your ass off to get used to doing long days in the saddle and you'll be fine.
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #23
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbird
Don't worry about it,I did it in 3wks(round trip from NC) and saw everything I wanted to see and then some.Rode the Campbell,Dempster and Denali Hwys.Even spent 2 nights in Valdez and took the ferry to Whittier that I didn't think I would have time for when I "planned" for the trip.
Spend the next 2 yrs riding your ass off to get used to doing long days in the saddle and you'll be fine.
Thanks Vbird. Do you happen to have your route saved somewhere? I'm just curious as to where you went.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #24
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,714
Bwana,

You asked a question I didn't because I suspected the answer. I want to take a 10 day or so 2 up trip with my then to be 16yo son next summer. I'd love to make Alaska, but don't see it happening. I'm also self employed, & man it is hard to take more than 1 week off at a time.

I'm thinking of some sort of loop up the Pacific Northwest of the US & maybe over to the Dakota's & back down through Utah. There is a bunch of great country right here in the US too. If I had 2 full weeks like you, Canada does sound great.

Seems to me Alaska is 3 weeks from SoCal. I guess I could check into the bike rental thing out of Anchorage. But half the fun would be riding out of one own's driveway on one own's bike into the wild blue yonder.

I'm also thinking of saving Alaska for when my son rides his own bike. Don't tell the wife.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #25
Vbird
In Room 237

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana
Thanks Vbird. Do you happen to have your route saved somewhere? I'm just curious as to where you went.
Sorry, my trusty 2 1/2yo GPS became as useless as a paperweight by WV!This was my first trip that I didn't bring paper maps with me and had to stop and buy them on the way.Odometer on my wee-strom was showing an extra 11,466mi though!
Vbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #26
Bwana OP
Me Bwana You Toto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Bwana,

You asked a question I didn't because I suspected the answer. I want to take a 10 day or so 2 up trip with my then to be 16yo son next summer. I'd love to make Alaska, but don't see it happening. I'm also self employed, & man it is hard to take more than 1 week off at a time.

I'm thinking of some sort of loop up the Pacific Northwest of the US & maybe over to the Dakota's & back down through Utah. There is a bunch of great country right here in the US too. If I had 2 full weeks like you, Canada does sound great.

Seems to me Alaska is 3 weeks from SoCal. I guess I could check into the bike rental thing out of Anchorage. But half the fun would be riding out of one own's driveway on one own's bike into the wild blue yonder.

I'm also thinking of saving Alaska for when my son rides his own bike. Don't tell the wife.
I won't tell your wife if you won't tell mine. She has no idea I am going away for 2 weeks. Come to think of it, I may not survive this trip.

--Orson Welles

2005 BMW R1200 GS (sold)
-----------
Old 09-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #27
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana
I am planning on a trip to Alaska from Sacramento summer of 09 and wondered if 2 weeks is long enough to see some of the major sights?

I was planning on slabbing it quickly to Canada and then up to Alaska and catching a ferry back down to Seattle or somewhere close.

Thanks.
I did Alaska from Sacramento in 2006. Can you get there and back in 2 weeks? Yes. Is 2 weeks enough time to enjoy the trip and see a lot of places and things? No way! 2 weeks is just enough time to get to Alaska and straight back. You want to take the time to see the Yukon Territory, Jaspaer NP Alberta, take a wildlife/glacier cruse, chill in a few different waterfront towns and eat a lot of Halibut. Plan on a minimum of 3 weeks but 4 weeks will be the tits. BTW, the Ferry back to WA takes a full 5 days.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #28
TCBronson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
alaska

I too am planning a trip to Alaska in June 2008 on a Vstrom 1000, from Little Rock, Arkansas to Fairbanks and back. I was wondering if it was possible to go from Fairbanks to Prudoe Bay and back to Fairbanks in one long day or do you need to spend one night out? I think it's about 850 miles?
Thanks
TCBronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #29
cycletlh
Slower than yesterday!

Oddometer: 99
I agree with what ROYB said:

"If I had two weeks from where you are, I'd do the Canadian Rockies....Glacier Park, Waterton Park, Banff, Jasper , Whitier and home...........Actually a much nicer trip with sometimes even better scenery than Alaska and absolutely better, more fun roads!"

Being able to say you rode to Alaska is cool but the above Canada trip is better in my opinion. With 2 weeks you can not go wrong!

Slab to Grants Pass OR then Rogue River to Crater Lake to Bend to Prineville to Fossil OR to I-84 & 395 to Spokane WA then N. on 395 to Canada. Nakusp Hot Springs is a must stop then Ferry to Revelstoke and plot the rest of your trip from there.

I would circle over Rogers Pass to Golden then Banff to Glacier in MT. Lolo Pass to Lewiston ID then Rattlesnake to Joseph OR. Paved FS road to Halfway then follow the Snake to Oxbow and Brownlee Dams to Hwy 95 in Cambridge ID. Then figure out how to get home. Should be the best trip you have ever taken. It includes many of my favorites all combined.
cycletlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #30
JMead11
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 2,516
I think that with the amount of time you have, you would be better off to do the Banff and Jasper thing too. If you feel compelled to be able to say you rode to Alaska, Hyder would be definate thrill. You can see Salmon and Bear Glacier, experience a little small town Alaska and not knock yourself out too much.

Thing you have to remember about going up all the way is that you are going out into some really remote territory. Most people don't realize until they start getting up there exactly how far you are going. Imagine going up there and back as being about the equivalent of driving to Argentina.

Anything can happen, and you have to allow time for it. Most of the Alcan is not electrified, so if the generator at the gas station is out or being serivced, you may have to wait. Many businesses are closed or out of gas, so you have to stop at every gas station you see or run the risk of running out.

The road is, well, most of the time it is a road...but I would not plan on any 700 mile days north of our own country. The speed limits are low, and tickets are high. Learned the hard way once....

I was riding and 12 and 14 hour days just to cover 500 miles a day. The roads are not safe for high speeds. 700 miles a day on this...??????

nah....gotta go alot slower....

A lot of people go too fast or take chances to cover more ground in a day. You will see plenty of frightening things out there, but you have to remember not to take chances yourself. Help is a long, long, long way away, if...if anyone were to notice you off on the side of the road severely injured in the ditch. You have to allow plenty of time, drive safely, allow for things like this....the road was closed for 5 days I hear.....I was one of the last people to get through. I met people along the way that were totally stranded for days by this flooding....

You can go pretty quick in the south of Canada, but, and I know there are others that might disagree, but you cannot do it safely in the north. Road conditions change without warning, animals are everywhere and you just don't want to fall down. When people go too fast, this can happen...road was closed over 6 hours for this fatal accident I just missed being tangled up in myself. The guy in the Stratus had passd me seconds before.

It took me 10 days to get from Tucson to the top, so I if you have 2 weeks, I would go to Hyder, hitting Banff, Jasper, Glacier, and Yellowstone maybe. This would be realistic.
Banff, Lake Louise

Jasper

Hyder

Bear Glacier

If you don't have 25-30 days, don't even consider going all the way up. You would be hard pressed just to get to Fairbanks and back in a 2 week period.
I met some Brazilian guys who flew in and rented KLR's in Anchorage for $110 a day. Might be more the way you might want to go with your time limits. I would fly up, rent the bike for a week or so, and then ferry back.
Even with the cost of the rental, might be very cost effective as gas in Canada is over $5.00 a gallon.

Being is a place like this makes it all worth while though...

Just my 2 cents..I've done it, so what it's worth...

Look here for more...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246031

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157770
JMead11 is offline   Reply With Quote